Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

POLL: Who is your fave sf composer....

Wow, that's a toughie, but gotta go with John Williams. Although I also like Hans Zimmer. :lol:

I like both Dennis McCarthy and Jay Chattaway. They both have outstanding bodies of work that span multiple Trek series. As well, Jay Chattaway's ressikan flute composition is one of my favourite pieces of music. Also keep in mind that they were writing new scores for every episode because TPTB wanted music to fit the episode compared to character themes (ie with Star Wars there was Vader's theme, Luke's theme, Leia's theme, etc).

Yep, those are certainly two worth adding. I have EAF and the scores for ''Yesterday's Enterprise'/''Unification''/''Hollow Pursuits'', but I would say that the former has a good deal of lovely, poignant thematic music, with, as it is for the premiere, hints of the star trek theme itself....with a tv-version jumping off from Jerry Goldsmith's terrific STTMP score. I do prefer the later tv version of the title sequence a bit, as it adds that last little dum-dum-dum-dum percussion that to me gives the movie-tng score a nice 'punch' at the end...Jerry G.'s ''Voyager'' theme is also a personal favorite-suprise! :screwloose:

All good composers listed so far.

I have high hopes for Michael Giacchino Star Trek soundtrack becoming a new favorite of mine.

Star Trek soundtrack sample:

So do I! If indeed he is the one responsible for what I have heard on the web thus far...wow. Some strong material. John Williams' ''Star Wars'' was the one that intro'd me to an apreciation of symphonic scores. Michael could be a worthy addition, after the late, wonderful Jerry Goldsmith.

Alexander Courage gets my vote, he was the composer of the original Star Trek series theme among others such as Lost In Space and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. He also collaborated with John Williams when Williams was with The Boston Pops.

A side note on Alexander Courage, the reason he didn't do any more work on Star Trek was because Gene Roddenberry bilked him out of half of his royalty money by adding a quickly penned set of garbage lyrics to the sheet music for the theme when it was submitted for copyright.

I AM SO ASHAMED AT MYSELF!!!! Than you, oldfan, for reminding me of someone who, in my opinion, should be on just about everyone's top list, including mine! He is where it all began. And, really...even among those who are not st fans, that theme would be recognized, as more than a few over the years surely have caught a few TOS eps somewhere, and may recall those first little notes, as Shatner utters those famous words....I would add those talented people who scored what are also intimately-recognizeable themes from TOS....such as from ''Mirror, Mirror'', ''Doomsday Machine'', ''By Any Other Name''....by composers such as Fred Steiner, who did the bulk of the music, Jerry Fielding, George Dunning, and Sol Kaplan-all on a pair of albums that are a treasured part of my st music collection. Granted, these men did come to have 'issues' with how their themes were re-used for other episodes, and, as artists, one can see that-though one does love them, wherever they were put in. It is unfortunate, as my cohort above says, that A. Courage had that 'difficulty'....but we fans will ever revere him for his lasting contribution to st....which we will get to-YAY!-hear again in the new film. I cannot wait to hear those first notes on big speakers....oh, YEAH!!