Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

Burma-A HUMAN CRISIS

Many of you no doubt have heard about the situation in the Asian country of Burma-controlled by a repressive, violent regime of military stripe. Trek actor Walter Koenig, on his website,has a most personal, and striking portrayal of wha is happening, behind the news blubs..and it's VERY bad. He and his son ahave been there, seen some of the results of years, decades of cruelty, and plain evil...and he is trying to in his own way bring help, so badly needed, to all these innocent people. If you are interested, go to his site link, here at stf.net, and there you can read his account, plus get further links to a site devoted to the crisis...headed by good people trying to make a difference. This is not a political issue-here, on this forum, or elsewhere. It's a human one. I can think of more appropriate place-or people-to help make a difference, as I just did, merely by sending an email to my state legislators,easily done, with a dollop of factful info, and a few well-palced words. And we all are good at that here! And, yes, Im really not politically, or socially active-and you don't ahve to be-just a little 'ol human, seeing he can do something towards a definite crime against ALL humanity...in his own way.

to those of you out there who are interested, and good for you, it sounds as if a vote is forthcoming on the most recent measure in our capitol to help the oppressed, and tormented peoples of Burma. I just this week received a call from an assistant in my state rep's office-Richard Burr, who was wise, and caring enough to co-sponsor the latest towards that end. Much credit to he, and all the others so involved.

If we send aid to those oppressed in Burma/Myanmar, it most likely will end up with a situation similar to Somalia, with the leaders taking all the aid for themselves. It's sad, but most likely what would happen.

Well, from what I have read of the situation-and here I certainly acknowledg how often that happens-I read at the website-which may be found a link for at Walter Koenig's site-there has been a strong emphasis by the supporters of human rights, that for ex, U.S. companies were discouraged from involving their finances in the regime, so, I would like to think, that with the several measures that have been put out there over whatever period of time, it's an issue that as a whole would be strongly restricted....but, thanks for posting, in any case....as I had said, I just happened to see this at Walter's site, and thought, 'Why not do something?' particularly all it took was a few minutes typing a message to my two representatives in D.C....proving that people-especially Star Trek fans-can make a difference. I do encourage you all to take a few minutes and have a look at this...an issue that I know Gene and Majel and Rod would say, 'participate in'..Make a difference.

Tonight on the BBC World radio program at PRI, a report about a new film which is in fact footage shot during a swell of protest and demands for freedom from activists in Burma in 2007, lead by Buddhist Monks.Covertly, groups of couraegeous citizens took handheld cameras, and shot footage of the events, which have now become the film,'' VJ Burma''. Young and old took part in the protests, filled with hope that a difference would be made as a result, that the world would be watching...but, sadly, the effort was brutally crushed. A number of the participants ended up in Burmese prisons, but at least one interviewed was able to escpae, and spoke how, fortunately, at least not as many perished, as in a similar attempt in 1988. He still believes in the movement-as do many other people throughout the world-such as Walter Koenig, who has brought this issue of freedom and human rights to Trekfans. ''It's not the people who must change'' this survivor says, '' but the government'' VJ Burma is set to premiere at some point soon in GB. Another point of hope, is that Ban Kee Moon of the U.N. has visited the country, also known as Mynmar, and convinced the military junta to release some political prisoners, to participate in elections ahead.....our best wishes, to the people and brave souls in Burma...Again, for more, go to Walter's site, and for further links...

Edited by Voyager recruit

It is now being reported at CNN, incuding their 'Asia' page online(see for further and full references) that the United Nations Security Council has expressed ''serious concern'' regarding the sentencing of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the Myanmar(Burma) pro-democracy leader, who has spent years in one form of confinement or another, for her support of freedom and human rights in her country-a movement shared by others across her nation. The current Junta has sentenced her to 1 and a half years of house arrest, causing condemnation from across the global community. TheU.N. Secretary General BaN Ki-Moon, the Dalai Lama, and United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have all expressed their serious regard for this action....U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice called Suu Kyi's incarceration a ''violation of the universal principles of human rights''....the E.U. has planned to take actions via sanctions, and ther are plans to seize the assets of certain individuals so involved....again, for more, go to the CNN 'ASIA' Online page....which includes more articles on all related topics.