Sign in to follow this  
Sara_Paris

Swiss doctors uncover new gaming related disease

GENEVA (AFP) - A 12-year-old girl was ordered to stop playing video games for 10 days by her Swiss doctor after it was found that a serious hand infection she was suffering from was caused by excessive gaming.

The new infection has since been dubbed "Palmare PlayStation Hidradenitis" by professor Vincent Piguet from the University Hospital of Geneva, Swiss news agency ATS reported.

The girl was taken to her doctor after suffering from painful lesions on her palms for four weeks.

"They were huge red nodes which were very spectacular," Piguet said, adding that he later learnt that the girl had hidden from her parents the fact that she spent hours on her PlayStation.

Piguet and his team concluded that the tension of the hands on the console and frenetic pressing on the buttons had triggered minuscule cutaneous injuries which were aggravated by sweat.

After her 10-day ban from PlayStation, the lesions went away.

The research was published in the British Journal of Dermatology.

I remember back in the day when I had a regular Nintendo and I played Super Mario I used to get these awful caluses on my thumbs.

OMG! Someone else remembers StarTropics?! LOVE that game. I also love the Zelda, Mario, and MegaMan games (still haven't beaten the first MegaMan game, just the other five).

I own a top-loading NES system right now, and it plays the old games wonderfully. If I'm having a particularly stressful day, I play myself some Bases Loaded II: Second Season, and life sucks a little less again.

If she's getting lesions from playing video games, she's doing something terribly wrong. What, was she squeezing the controller with all her might?

My question is if she was playing enough to cause this condition, Where were her parents and what were they doing that they did not notice the amount of time she was spending playing video games?