Sign in to follow this  
Sara_Paris

Pill Could Erase Bad Memories

Scientists have discovered a drug that could erase fearful memories in humans. The method, using existing blood pressure pills, could be useful for weakening or erasing bad memories in people with post-traumatic stress disorder, the researchers say. Unfortunately, other research has shown, bad memories stick better than good ones.

Studies in animal models have shown that fearful memories sometimes change when recalled, a process known as reconsolidation, and that this reconsolidation stage is vulnerable to the blood pressure drugs, called beta-adrenergic receptor blockers.

In the new study on humans, by Merel Kindt and colleagues at University of Amsterdam in The Netherlands, 60 subjects were taught to associate pictures of spiders with a mild shock, creating a fearful memory. Later, they were given either a beta-blocker called propranolol or a placebo.

The group given propranolol had a greatly decreased fear response to the spider pictures 24 hours later, according to a synopsis of the work from the journal Nature Neuroscience. And the fear response did not return, suggesting that their fear memory was completely erased.

Some ethicists see problems, question whether such treatments begin to alter what it means to be human. "An interesting complexity is the possibility that victims, say of violence, might wish to erase the painful memory and with it their ability to give evidence against assailants," said professor John Harris, an expert in biological ethics at the University of Manchester, in an article in the Daily Mail. "Similarly criminals and witnesses to crime may, under the guise of erasing a painful memory, render themselves unable to give evidence."

Meantime, scientists are zeroing in on how fear grips the mind.

In 2005, researchers found a fear-factor gene that helps distinguish between people who have no fear and those who are afraid of everything. And last fall, scientists discovered the glue that keeps fearful memories stuck in the brain, a protein called beta-catenin that helps long-term memories solidify.

There's apparently a natural way to rid yourself of bad memories, too. A 2007 study involving brain scans found that test subjects had the ability to suppress specific memories at a particular moment in time through repeated practice.

Fascinating prospect but it makes me extremely nervous. It seems inherently dangerous to me. Reminds me of the movie Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.

it does sound interesting, but I don't think the mind is something we should be messing with

though I loved The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I had to watch it a few times to realy get all of it, but I realy like it...I love Kate winslet's hair in it :)

I've actually only seen it once but I was thinking about getting it again from Netflix. There really is a lot to it. I was rather distracted by Kirsten Dunst jumping around in here underwear. She's so skinny! I was jealous. I love Kate!

there's so much going on in that movie that I think it definately deserves a second if not third look

Really? Why not? I must admit I enjoyed the first one much more than the others. I’ve heard lots of people who weren’t fans of the movies specifically criticize Keanu Reeves. I’m not sure if they’re just miffed by his preformance or if they wanted someone else in the role.

Very good movie, pretty confusing the first time I watched it though lol.

As for erasing bad memories, as much as we'd like to do that from time to time we are who we are (all of us) based upon our experiences. Good and bad. Erase the bad and you lose something of yourself. You lose lessons learned and may end up making them all over again. Good or bad, my experiences make me the person that I am.

Just not your thing huh? I feel that way about the Underworld movies. I could watch em but I'd rather be doing something els.

omg, I love the underworld movies!

As for erasing bad memories, as much as we'd like to do that from time to time we are who we are (all of us) based upon our experiences. Good and bad. Erase the bad and you lose something of yourself. You lose lessons learned and may end up making them all over again. Good or bad, my experiences make me the person that I am.

true, but it seems from the article that they're after memories that trigger fear. It would be a good thing I think for those with post traumatic stress disorder

Just not your thing huh? I feel that way about the Underworld movies. I could watch em but I'd rather be doing something els.

I think part of the problem is I really dislike Kate Beckinsale.

true, but it seems from the article that they're after memories that trigger fear. It would be a good thing I think for those with post traumatic stress disorder

You both raise some good points however I tend to agree with VBG. I see removing a memory as removing a part of yourself. Good or bad memories make us who we are and IMO to remove the bad ones would be akin to going back in time to prevent what we may deem as a “bad” historical event without which we may not have progresses as a nation. As often the catalyst for change is sacrifice.

Then again I've never experienced PTSD.

realy????? OMG, I have the biggest girl crush on her!!!!

realy????? OMG, I have the biggest girl crush on her!!!!

Yes but I think it's just that I'm jealous of her. :giggle:

This reminds me of the TOS episode ( The Enemy Within) where the transporter separated Kirk into a 'good' and an

'evil' Kirk. In the end he needed all aspects of himself, including those aspects regarded as negative, in order to be the good strong decisive leader that he was.

I agree with those who are suspicious about this sort of drug, especially with the fact that it may eventually interfere with us learning how to handle fear and traumatic situations.

Moderator comment: this thread is partly off-topic with discussion of the movie. please try to stay on topic.