Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What's with the negative Trekie stereotypes

Usually on the weekends I catch up with the week's tv shows - so it seemed like pick on Trekkies week.

On Numb3rs - some help desk receptioniss says the only thing she knows about the tech guy was he cursed in Vulcan and when he got his car towed she had to stifle a "What would Spock do?" Cursing in Klingon maybe - but cursing in Vulcan?

Then on Law & Order there's this internet vigilante group and one defense attorney says - "These people put trekkies to shame" I guess he was making a cult reference - and then when the DA insults the defense attorney's ethics she says "live long and prosper"

Usually trek references are good (my favorite was the CSI discussion about green blood) but this week was kind of rude....

Wow. I just find it odd that were that many Trek references this week, as both Fringe and Lost both referenced Trek this week as well (of course, that's to be expected with Abrams EP on both shows).

On Fringe, Olivia referred to a prisoner using a transporter to escape prison as "he just Star Trekked himself out of a German prison" or something to that extent.

On Lost, after it was revealed that Charlotte spoke Korean, Daniel asked her if she spoke any other languages and she jokingly said Klingon.

I saw both of those episodes as well. The Numbers reference is a definite "what the..." moment. It definitely would have made some sense if they had used Klingon instead of Vulcan and they wouldn't have had to change the Spock reference.

The reference on L&O bothered me too. That seems to be the work of an uninformed writer taking a shot at a perceived easy target.

Yeah, what else is new? Bash the Trekfan.....or some other group deemed 'worthy' of glib comment. But we all persevere, right? As for the Trek refs on fictional shows-the positive ones-I always love those!

I consider all of that a badge of honor. What other modern entertainment phenomenon has such a deep and loyal following that script writers add Trek references into their writing? Face it, we Trekkers and Trekkies alike, are part of the fabric of society like nothing ever before. Trek has inspired people to follow careers in technological fields, bringing those images to life or begin to ponder their eventual existence. Trek language is now part of the lexicon of countries all over the world. As far as I'm concerned, any reference made to Star Trek on any TV show or movie, however slight, shows how much the Star Trek universe has become part of our shared consciousness. I'm sure the writers of the aforementioned examples may be Trekkers themselves. If we were really that marginal, we would be no more than an afterthought and I wouldn't be here writing this post. Trekkers WILL rule the world someday and all this attention from any quarter is just part of the plan. We may be somewhat ridiculed, but we are not going away. In any case, I don't consider it bashing as much as I do consider it envy. Star Trek will rule the world.

I consider all of that a badge of honor. What other modern entertainment phenomenon has such a deep and loyal following that script writers add Trek references into their writing? Face it, we Trekkers and Trekkies alike, are part of the fabric of society like nothing ever before. Trek has inspired people to follow careers in technological fields, bringing those images to life or begin to ponder their eventual existence. Trek language is now part of the lexicon of countries all over the world. As far as I'm concerned, any reference made to Star Trek on any TV show or movie, however slight, shows how much the Star Trek universe has become part of our shared consciousness. I'm sure the writers of the aforementioned examples may be Trekkers themselves. If we were really that marginal, we would be no more than an afterthought and I wouldn't be here writing this post. Trekkers WILL rule the world someday and all this attention from any quarter is just part of the plan. We may be somewhat ridiculed, but we are not going away. In any case, I don't consider it bashing as much as I do consider it envy. Star Trek will rule the world.

And I will add to this IMO, Let them talk Trek as I think it is a way of keeping Star Trek Alive no matter what is said, plus I think it is a way of pushing the New Movie. As, you see some commercials for the Movie but not many, so Maybe it their way of getting free publicity for the Movie after all mention Star Trek and you have a new conversation going. :lol: