Sign in to follow this  
trekspawn

What Star Trek Book are you reading now?

I just thought this would be a fun little topic. Whether they are novels, trivia books, comics, or anything in between, WHAT ARE YOU READING?

Right now I am almost done with Vulcan Soul Part 1, and I am enjoying the Vulcan history and early story about Surack. I am also finishing the Klingons Blood Will Tell comic series. I like the art work, but was hoping for a more original Klingon story line as opposed to the retelling of some classic original series Klingon stories. At least there is some background to go along with the original series stories.

So I just finished Vulcan Soul part 1 Exodus. I liked it, but you can tell that it was written by two authors, which it is. One part is written from perspective of Karatek, a Vulcan living in the time of Surak. The next part is set with TOS characters, who are much older, Kirk and Scottie are no longer with them. They go on a mission against the Watraii, who just took out an entire colony of Romulan settlers. I really liked the ancient Vulcan parts, but the other part of the story seemed a bit slow, but it is a 3 part book series so I will finish the other two before making a final decision. Without giving too much away for anyone who has not read it. The book is about how the ancient Vulcans split into 3 different groups, Vulcans, Romulans, and the Watraii, and what effect this has on the attack on the Romulan colony.

I've started to re-read the Star Trek Voyager book "Caretaker" by LA Graf. It's basically the same story as the pilot episode but with some interesting details which we never saw in the TV episode.

Excellent book! As good as the TV episode.

I'm planning to re-read the season 1-3 Voyager books because they are great, most of them.

I just thought this would be a fun little topic. Whether they are novels, trivia books, comics, or anything in between, WHAT ARE YOU READING?

Right now I am almost done with Vulcan Soul Part 1, and I am enjoying the Vulcan history and early story about Surack. I am also finishing the Klingons Blood Will Tell comic series. I like the art work, but was hoping for a more original Klingon story line as opposed to the retelling of some classic original series Klingon stories. At least there is some background to go along with the original series stories.

re-reading the String Theory books, awesome Voyager novels. Some of the best ones that came out later in the show's run or after it was already off the air

Glad to see some other posts here. I thought that with all of the Star Trek books someone out there has to be reading one of them for the first time, and wants to say something about it. Voyager seems to be the Star Trek series that I have seen the least. Not that I don't like it. But I will take Caretaker as one I could check out after seeing a few more episodes. I just got the Year Four TPB, and can't wait to get into it. Also the TPB Mirror Mirror is on its way.

I just got an IPhone, and I was checking out some of the Star Trek apps, and there are some Peter David comics availble for only 99 cents. So worth checking out.

Going to get Vulcan Soul Part 2, and start reading it this weekend. Lately I have been reading Dune, thanks to a friend who highly recommended it. Since I am close to finishing I want to get back into the Vulcan Soul series and finish it. I noticed that tfaw.com has the manga series for the TOS in a tpb, and it comes with a pull out poster. Sounds like a cool item for those manga readers. Not a huge manga fan, but this looks pretty cool and art work looks awesome.

Just bought the film novelization by Foster, and ''Kobayashi Maru'' by Martin and Mangels the week after the film premiere; have gotten through a quarter or so of the first, not any of the second yet...

Curently finishing, " Full Circle" poor Chakotay, and poor Tom/B'Elanna. Waiting to read a non-star trek, (Sorry had to), novelization of Terminator Salvation, Second best movie of the year, behind, Star Trek.

Star Trek Novelisation, Destiny trilogy first book, and full circle.

I'm enjoying them all

Getting started on Collision Course which is Shatner's version of how Spock and Kirk met. So far very different than the movie. I think it is kind of funny that he finished the book before the movie, but I am sure that Paramount knew that they were kind of close to each other.

A book I haven't gotten around to reading is Star Trek Movie Memories. It is the only Shatner Trek related book I haven't read yet. Last book I read was I'm Not Spock by Leonard Nimoy. It was great :laugh:

I'm currenty reading Avatar book 2. Recently finished book 1. It's put me in a DS9 mood and I like the feeling... wish Spike was still playing episodes. I'm not liking the characterization of the Andorian Shar so far... it sort of clashes with what I know about Andorians from Enterprise. But I think these books came out before Enterprise and before too much was done with Andorians, so I guess the author had to make up a bunch of her own stuff. But it bothers me.

I picked up a couple of Star Trek books at Half-Price Books today, and if I get can get back into reading a bit each day, maybe it'll become a monthly occurance and I can slowly clear them out of their Star Trek section. Gotta' love used book stores because not only do can you get a good price, but you gotta' love the character of a used book. I don't know... something about the way they're banged up and the way they smell. Just makes me smile.

Edited by ensign_beedrill

I too have found some good Trek books at a local used store..though not been there in a long while.Such as ''Mosaic'' by Jeri Taylor-a must for any Janeway fan...like myself. (Obvious)

Edited by Voyager recruit

I finished Section 31: Abyss last week. It was actually pretty good. I don't know what it is, but most of the Trek novels I've read aren't very appealing to me. But this one was pretty quick and fun to read.

I'm currently trying to go through the Deep Space Nine relaunch, because I miss DS9. Reading The Lives of Dax at the moment. Almost finished.

Not reading one just year (got something else on the go) but I just ordered "The Lives of Dax".

Finished The Lives of Dax this weekend. It was interesting... bunch of different stories written by different people.

One story was written entirely in Italics which really ground my nerves. Sure, the whole thing was a letter. But I know it was a letter. You don't have to put an entire story in Italics.

Two of the stories seemed more about other people (McCoy, Sisko) than the actual Dax host (Emony, Curzon). And the Curzon story was just weird. I really hate it when authors feel the need to come up with new weird alien life. As if there isn't already enough in established Trek lore. If you need new aliens to advance the story, fine. But to make them living refrigerators? Come on.

I'm now reading Gateways: Demons of Air and Darkness. This is the fourth in the Gateways series. I read the first a few years ago and don't remember much except that I wasn't too interested in it. Not sure if I want to read it again... I hate doing things out of order! I have the second, and I started reading that but never actually got past the first chapter. Maybe I should give them another go some time. Reading the fourth without remembering the first and never reading the second and third... just feels weird. I don't know if they're closely related to each other or not, but I guess we'll find out.

Finished Gateways: Demons of Air and Darkness and also the short follow-up Horn and Ivory in the last Gateways book. Not bad all around, though the end left me thinking, "What just happened?"

Started Mission Gamma: Twilight in a continuation of the Deep Space Nine relaunch. The book has very small print, which made it even harder to read while on the elliptical this morning. :yucky:

Edited by ensign_beedrill

Glad to see this thread still going. I finished Collision Course, by Shatner, which is pretty good. Of course it has nothing to do with the movie. One thing though that seems to transcend is that Kirk somehow is always in the right spot at the right time, Always. Right now I am finishing the Vulcan Soul trilogy. So far the two parts of the book have not really come together, because it bounces back from the past to the Federation present of when the story takes place. I will say that if you want to know a little more about Vulcan and the forge the first book is great.

Also I saw that there is a Art of book for the new movie, I haven't seen the book, but was wondering if anyone has checked it out?

Edited by trekspawn

I thought that "I Am Spock" was a great book. It's a little hard to find these days, unless you find a used copy. I just finished the Vulcans Soul trilogy of books, and I thought it was a good set of books if you were interested in knowing more about the Romulans and Vulcans, I thought that it had Spock and some other familiar characters in there just to keep it familiar. I am taking a little break from Star Trek books to catch up on the Dune and Foundation series, while I am off from school. However, I have "The Good That Men Do" ready in the wings. I am an Enterprise fan, but have never read any of the novels.

Edited by trekspawn

I bought the Star Trek: The Next Generation COMPANION a few years ago. Privides history of the series to when it started off through each season and information on every episode of every season, in order. I love it. I'm reading bits of it as I watch episodes so I know what to expect.

I miss so much with me being deaf [hard-of-hearing]

I have heard of the Companion which is cool. Is it still in print? There is an app for those with the iphone called daxhotel (not sure why it has that name), but it is like a companion for every Star Trek series, even the Animated Series. There are descriptions of the episodes along with pictures. I too have used it to track down certain episodes or to find out more about them, even while watching them. The movies are the only thing not included, and I think the app only costs like $2, great for any Trekkie.