Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

The Doctor's 'Family'-a concept worth keeping?

I have wondered what it might have been like, if the producers had chosen to continue that development...I found it an interesting one. The ep in question gave him some new facets to explore-with a powerfully emotional ending. Of course, one might argue that to some degree it might have placed him in something of a less broadly-open parameter in terms of his evolution, but, I still liked it. In reality, back then, the folks in charge had their eye on future syndication, in which various stations would likely prefer to air eps in no particular order. I admit-when they first came out, I was always hoping my faves would come on first!(And even called my local staion to check) At any rate, the gang there might have liked to see how it could have gone.....another one of those'what ifs' from my favorite series.....

It might have been intersting to see them pop up once in a while, but I think they served their purpose at the end. He learned the lesson from the experience and that was that

I agree that the Doctor's family was a very interesting concept, but in the end it served it's purpose. I would like to point out another avenue of discovery for the Doctor that was not explored. In "Blink of an Eye" in season 6 the Doctor was sent down to the planet and lived for years their time. This episode was much after "Real Life," and I wonder how the Doctor's experience with his holographic family influenced his raising of an actual family almost 3 years later.

I agree that the Doctor's family was a very interesting concept, but in the end it served it's purpose. I would like to point out another avenue of discovery for the Doctor that was not explored. In "Blink of an Eye" in season 6 the Doctor was sent down to the planet and lived for years their time. This episode was much after "Real Life," and I wonder how the Doctor's experience with his holographic family influenced his raising of an actual family almost 3 years later.

That's a great point. While on that planet the Doctor was clearly involved in a serious relationship, and had a child (whether through adoption or some other means) I would have liked to see a little bit more of that, perhaps a scene with him grieving for them. I mean he didn't even get to say goodbye to his family

I agree that his family was something that added to The Doctor's evolution as a character on the show. It would have been nice for him to have made reference to missing them at some later point in the series.

In the Voyager short-story compilation, ''Distant Shores'' there is an entry about his time on the planet earlier referenced. And there are some other good tales therein. Voyager fans might wnat to check it out.

It could have been an interesting storyline to develope, they seemed a little interested in trying to develope some kind of relationship with Seven later on as well.