Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

The Vidiians....had the Phage not come?

My take.....these people who, as one of them spoke in their premiere ep in STV, were once artists, and explorers. I can picture them, from a writing standpoint, going out as humanity did in ST:Enterprise, and so on, taking a positive vision into the stars..even forming their own alliance in the DQ.....and maybe , after ''Think Tank''.......

I can see your point here. The Phage was what made the Vidiians what they were. Hadn't it been for the disease, they would probably have been friendlier.

without the phage they wouldn't be harvesting organs so they wouldn't be much of a threat would they

Nope. And where would have been the 'fun' in that, right? I was just tossing out one of those ' what if' scenarios-which have become popular in the st novels. But Maevel Comics beat 'em to the premise long ago. I remember.It's fun to explore other possibilities.

though, we don't know much about the vidians except for the fact that they were organ harvestors.

if they didn't have the phage, they probably wouldn't have their advanced medical technology. Maybe they would have concentrated their technological development on weapons and would have become an even bigger threat

It would have been interesting to see how their society adapted after the Phage was cured. It would also have been interesting to see how other species reacted to them considering how many people the Vidiians killed and enslaved in order to prolong their own lives.

I believe the ramifications you spoke of are potentially a very good story idea; imagine 'cleansed' Vidiians going out in peaceful purpose, attempting to make friends-only to have to owe up to their actions with so many species. It would be a tough road...and very dangerous. But I can see them trying, nonetheless, at some point, and in whatever degree....

I believe the ramifications you spoke of are potentially a very good story idea; imagine 'cleansed' Vidiians going out in peaceful purpose, attempting to make friends-only to have to owe up to their actions with so many species. It would be a tough road...and very dangerous. But I can see them trying, nonetheless, at some point, and in whatever degree....

that could be interesting...maybe for a book

The phage effected the Vidiians about 2,000 years before first contact with voyager in 2371. They already had a reputation as artists and explorers.

We can therefore assume they had interstellar contacts and/or travel in the late 300's. Not only could they have helped to form a federation type alliance, but it could have happened as early as the 400's-500's AD.

According to the Vaadwaur, the borg had asimilated only a handfull of worlds by the late 1400's. With a homegrown Federation in the Delta Quad for almost a thousand years before that, odds are the Borg collective would probably never exist. The only major threat to the 'Alliance' I can think of is the Voth, who have been in the area for milions of years.

If the Alliance can defeat or make peace with the Voth, then it could go on to explore the Gamma Quad and possibly upset the Dominion's consolidation of power.

No Dominion, no Borg, and a peaceful Federation in control of the Delta Quad, and possibly large parts of the Gamma Quad.

All centuries before Humans or Vulcans reach the stars.

All prevented by an epidemic.

Terrific analysis there. Like it! As VGRBABE said, it would make a great book, this scenario...in an alternate timeline. BTW..THANKS for reviving this by-now older post of mine!!!

Edited by Voyager recruit

Terrific analysis there. Like it! As VGRBABE said, it would make a great book, this scenario...in an alternate timeline. BTW..THANKS for reviving this by-now older post of mine!!!

Thanks, I've thought about expanding some of these ideas into stories in the fanfiction section.

The Phage made the Vidiians into the textbook villains you love to hate.

True, but they were also some what sympathetic. The Vidiians were just trying to survive.

One of my favorite STV moments from the early seasons is in ''Phage'' when Janeway confronts the Vidiian duo about their actions, and activities...in which, amidst her rightful anger at what was done to Neelix, she concedes their terrible societal crisis...while making that powerful, dramatic Mama Janeway protects her cubs that I love to see moment....and of course they were back now and again, such as ''Deadlock'' a personal favorite. I liked Denara Pel. She was an example of someone who loved her people, but did not like how they were behaving as a race, however pushed. I have her in an alternate-timeline story I have developed for Voyager....

True, but they were also some what sympathetic. The Vidiians were just trying to survive.

I only recall Denara Pell as having any sympathy. Its been a while since I've seen a Vidiian ep, so maybe you can refresh my memory about eps that show that side to them.

I would say that Vidiians were more like vultures than survivors. In many ways, I would compare them to an untenable cross of pirate and cannibal. I think that they crossed a fine line between 'surviving' and victimizing. They don't win any respect from me in the least.

I only recall Denara Pell as having any sympathy. Its been a while since I've seen a Vidiian ep, so maybe you can refresh my memory about eps that show that side to them.

I would say that Vidiians were more like vultures than survivors. In many ways, I would compare them to an untenable cross of pirate and cannibal. I think that they crossed a fine line between 'surviving' and victimizing. They don't win any respect from me in the least.

kinda agree when you say that they're more vultures than survivors. i mean they'd go the extra mile for some organs. in my personal opinoin, one thing could of made the whole thing a hell of a lot easier for them. Assimilation from the Borg. think about it, rather than waiting for 5 years for the Think Tank to come up with a way for them to be cured, the Borg would of easily just made their suffering end alot easier.

Edited by Troy