Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

The Kazon-bad idea, or a failed concept?

I think that the species in some ways fell short. Certainly, I've read that the cast was not keen on them. They were envisioned as these youth gangs, pillaging about the quadrant. They came off as thugs with guns, I suppose....though I have used them, particularly Jabin, in my writing....

I like the Kazon. They are great villains.

Good villains don't have to have super-powers or be totally invincible. They can just be brutal and arrogant and I do think that the Kazon (and the Cardassians) are good examples of that.

I do see some historical similarities here as well. The Kazon was one of those people who revolted against an opressive and discriminating power which was understandable but everything went wrong from there. Instead of remaining united and create an independent, prospering nation, they started to fight among each other. Still they were strong enough to become a power in that part of the Delta Quadrant. That has happened before in history and I do think that the concept for the Kazon in that aspect is realistic and well-thought.

I always enjoyed the episodes with the Kazon, especially those with Culluh and Seska involved. They were really a beautiful team. :giggle:

Well-thought-out there. Food for thought, as well. Guess I'm breaking bad on 'em too much, huh? But I am spot-on re the cast take on them, anyway. I just am not sure they were viewed as the ' big enemy' that they may have been-not that they didn't cause some problems-such as stranding the entire crew on a prehistoric planet!

Failed concept. It started out cool, but for a group that was so developmentally bass-ackwards, so MUCH so that even the Borg wouldn't assimilate them (fallacious statement, imo), to have Warp Drive and continue hot pursuit for so long.... it lost believability after awhile. Even with the scattered tribes explanations.

The only thing I found somewhat unrealistic was that it took Voyager almost two years to pass through their territory. It was too big for a species or nation with so much internal fighting between different sects.

It would have been more realistic if some of the events with the Kazon involved would have taken place with Voyager stranded at "The 37's planet". In this case, the Kazon territory could have been smaller and the scenario more realistic.

It would have been better if their character were more indepth and explained, I think they deserved at least that for being on the series as long as they were..

Edited by Ian Wood