Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

To Kesfans Only-what are your favorite aspects of her?

Among Kes's many positive traits, which would you rank highest? Of course, she's beautiful!-but she also to me has a great beauty within...gentlenes, kindness....a deep love, and devotion to those closest to her. And I like her remarkabe telepathic abilities.

I would say her whole personality.

She is nice, friendly and beautiful, yes. But she's also strong-willed, determined, brave and curious. She has a way to get things the way she wants without fighting and arguing, instead she attacks the problem from another angle and solves the problem that way. With her calm, wit and smartness, she's both a complement and a contrast to more traditional action characters like Janeway, Torres and Seven.

She also personifies the spirit of Star Trek with her will to learn and explore.

She's definitely one of Star Trek's most interesting characters.

I thought one of the most interesting things about her was her short lifespan. We always see in trek species that live longer, it was interesting to see for once someone that had a shorter lifespan. I thought it would have been interesting to see her stay on Voyager the whole show and see her natural lifespan play out. It was really the only thing about her that was unique

I love how kind and gentle she is. Her ability to empathize with others. I think she’s got a lovely voice.

yes, but sometimes too much. She was always so sugary nice, it got annoying at times. It's kind of annoying seeing someone doing right all the time, never doing anything wrong, kind of a goody goody.

I also wonder how it was possible for her to be able to answer everyone's questions when she has like no life experience

What just made no sense is that, for the 3 or 4 years she was on the show, she didn't show any signs of aging except when she was brought back for one episode. She would have joined the crew basically a teenager and at least been middle-aged when she left. Where were the wrinkles? Where were the sags? where were the grey hairs? I'm not saying I wanted to see these things, but if your average lifespan is 8 years you shouldn't always look like a 20-year old for 4 years.

What just made no sense is that, for the 3 or 4 years she was on the show, she didn't show any signs of aging except when she was brought back for one episode. She would have joined the crew basically a teenager and at least been middle-aged when she left. Where were the wrinkles? Where were the sags? where were the grey hairs? I'm not saying I wanted to see these things, but if your average lifespan is 8 years you shouldn't always look like a 20-year old for 4 years.

I agree with that. I think it would have been better to have he start out as like a 10 year old girl. Then Neelix's relationship with her would have been like a father/daughter one which might have been better accepted.

But yeah, I think it would have been interestting to see her change actresses every season. Start out as a 10 year old in the first season, then a 20 year old in the second season and so on.

I love how kind and gentle she is. Her ability to empathize with others. I think she’s got a lovely voice.

yes, but sometimes too much. She was always so sugary nice, it got annoying at times. It's kind of annoying seeing someone doing right all the time, never doing anything wrong, kind of a goody goody.

I also wonder how it was possible for her to be able to answer everyone's questions when she has like no life experience

IMO she had her faults. In a lot of ways she was extremely naive.

IMO she had her faults. In a lot of ways she was extremely naive.

oh yes, she was definately naive. But what would you expect from someone who was only a few years old

Sugary nice? No, I don't think so. She was strong-willed and determined and didn't hesitate to put her foot down if something was wrong. Watch her speech to Toscat in "Caretaker". There were other occasions too.

By the way, this thread is "for Kes-fans only". :P

I think the best thing about Kes is she is so small and petite that she could play "Sit & Spin" with me.

And if I got tired of that? Hey, it's not like she was going to live forever.

The nine-year lifespan was a mistake from the beginning. It's highly unrealistic since a species which lives such a short time would never develope to anything more than primates. Not to mention the "one-child syndrome".

It was simply bad writing, just as if the writers thought "hey, we haven't had that before in Star Trek" and when it didn't work (which I guess that they would realize) then they just kept the ball rolling, like "oh, never mind, the viewers won't notice). The lifespan issue was hardly mentioned after season 1, only on some occasions.

The smartest thing to do would have been to prolong her lifespan. There were also hints for such a solution, most notably in "Cold Fire".

I thought the short lifespan was a great concept and realy should have bene explored further. Seeing a character play out their whole life in a show would have brought up serious and touching questions and concerns about our own mortality, and would have provided some great potential story lines

plus not to mention that prolonging her life would result in a bland character no different than dozens of other species we've seen with funny ears and mental powers

I thought the short lifespan was a great concept and realy should have bene explored further. Seeing a character play out their whole life in a show would have brought up serious and touching questions and concerns about our own mortality, and would have provided some great potential story lines

plus not to mention that prolonging her life would result in a bland character no different than dozens of other species we've seen with funny ears and mental powers

Nah, I have a feeling that some of those who would like to see her age and die don't like the character and would have got a kick out of seeing her die. I've debated about this on other forums and it's always those who hates or dislike the character who prefer such a solution.

I don't think that a Kes with a prolonged lifespan would have been bland, she would still have been the same Kes. She would still have been unique, with her manners and mental powers, definitely more unique that the occasional Vulcan, the occasional Klingon and the occasional "engineering genious" which shows up in every Trek series.

Even with her faults, however, I'd still spin her.

now when you say "spin"..I'm thinking you mean something naughty :P :lol:

now when you say "spin"..I'm thinking you mean something naughty :P :lol:

Describing it would probably get me banned again. I'd have to show you. :P

Banned again? :lol:

now when you say "spin"..I'm thinking you mean something naughty :lol: :)

Describing it would probably get me banned again. I'd have to show you. :)

Yeah, I made a joke about Chinese penises when my warning level was at 90%.

Describing it would probably get me banned again. I'd have to show you. :lol:

well that just wasn't smart :)

Describing it would probably get me banned again. I'd have to show you. :lol:

Banned again? :rofl:

well that just wasn't smart :)

Yes well now I'm dying to hear what it was. :lol:

she is an interesting character and her short lifespan was my favorite part. Bad writing or not, I thought it was still an interesting part of her character. I also thought her relationship with Neelix was interesting. A lot of the time, it seemed that Neelix liked her more than Kes liked him.

she is an interesting character and her short lifespan was my favorite part. Bad writing or not, I thought it was still an interesting part of her character. I also thought her relationship with Neelix was interesting. A lot of the time, it seemed that Neelix liked her more than Kes liked him.

I don't think her short lifespan was "bad writing" I think it was a wonderfuly unique thing that should have been explored further. It was realy the ONLY thing that made her character stand out

And it's possible that she didn't love him at all. Remember she was barely a year old, broke out of her society and was held prioner, Neelix was the first friendly face she saw and probably just latched onto him like a child would.

I don't think her short lifespan was "bad writing" I think it was a wonderfuly unique thing that should have been explored further. It was realy the ONLY thing that made her character stand out

And it's possible that she didn't love him at all. Remember she was barely a year old, broke out of her society and was held prioner, Neelix was the first friendly face she saw and probably just latched onto him like a child would.

I think she loved him but I don't think she was "in love" with him.

yeah, that's a good way to look at it.

he was the first guy she saw basicaly, so she didn't realy know any better.

I suppose that could be another reason that she was angry in fury. As she gained some more life experience, she looked back on it and saw that she wasn't realy in love with him, and she left her whole world with him for the wrong reasons

I suppose that could be another reason that she was angry in fury. As she gained some more life experience, she looked back on it and saw that she wasn't realy in love with him, and she left her whole world with him for the wrong reasons

Yes! Thats an excellant point VGRB. I wish that the writers had capitalized more on that aspect of her anger during Fury.

Yes! Thats an excellant point VGRB. I wish that the writers had capitalized more on that aspect of her anger during Fury.

I think there was plenty of explination. I don't like it when they hadn you everything on a platter and don't let you think at all. But there was plenty that explained why she was mad

for instance what I just said. Sure she was realy happy on Voyager. But she didn't know any better, she was very young and didn't know the ways of the universe. When she got older and wiser she looked back and realized that it might not have been the best thing

don't you ever do that? I know you're the same age as me Sara and I look back on some things on my life that at the time seemed realy great but looking back now were realy stupid

As a viewer I don’t like things handed to me on a platter either however I think the writers missed an opportunity with the Kes/Neelix storyline and it started when they “broke up” around the time of Warlord. I also think they should have filled us in a bit in regard to what happened to Kes after she left Voyager that turned her so sour.

OMG I think back on things I did only a few years ago and can’t believe how stupid I was. :notworthy:

now when you say "spin"..I'm thinking you mean something naughty :notworthy::rofl:

Describing it would probably get me banned again. I'd have to show you. :naughty:

well that just wasn't smart :giggle:

Yes well now I'm dying to hear what it was. :giggle:

Someone posted this:

post-1043-1220520983.jpg

So I captioned it with this

Man behind counter: "Are you Chinese?"

Chinese man: "Yes."

Man behind counter: "It's small. Next!"

As a viewer I don’t like things handed to me on a platter either however I think the writers missed an opportunity with the Kes/Neelix storyline and it started when they “broke up” around the time of Warlord. I also think they should have filled us in a bit in regard to what happened to Kes after she left Voyager that turned her so sour.

OMG I think back on things I did only a few years ago and can’t believe how stupid I was. :notworthy:

I think it was alright the way it was. Neelix became such a better person after breaking up with her

Okay, I am weighing in here, finally, since I started this thread in the first place-and, as such, AM a fan of Kes...AS the beginning of the tirle says. For those who don't like the character, and I am hardly foolish enough to believe many aren't interested, fine..but please leave your comments for elsewhere. This is for fans of Kes only, and if you want to comment positively, do so. Otherwise...as to those who have posted more properly, I would say that I agree that it was unfortunate that Kes and Neelix were broken up-in my opinion. They had a special, and deep relationship, and despite any criticisms that they were ill-suited agewise, the true value is the depth-and the genuine nature, of their bond. Nelix did love her, and she him. Even Tom stated this fact, so clear to himself in ''Parturition'....'' and , contrary to Neelix's off-the-cuff comment about him saving her life, that she was 'grateful to him', which he knew there was FAR more to, Tom counters, and that ''I wouldn't stand a chance. Noone would. '' In ''The Gift'', in that final scene between she and Neelix, he expresses that maybe he was in the end 'only holding her back'..which Kes very clearly denies, and goes on to say, not only that ''I couldn't have made it this far without you. And I love you. It's just that..'' and here grammatically, is for me , she declares, down inside her heart, her feelings remain..but the circumstances have changed between them,staring, unfortunately for the character, in ''Warlord''. And of course she is now about to emabark on something very radical.... In ''Fury'', her coming back was to me as shown -she became lost, alone, and this pain evolved into anger, and a need to undo somehow this terrible turn of things, however shocking to a Kesfan, as it was for most at the time...I believe Jennifer had a different view, from the perspectiver of playing her role, and as a new angle to pursue, from what I have read. It happened, it's part of the character's life path, and, from what I have read, Jen had input into the story, I believe, and it seems she approved of the development. But, as a writer, I have created ways in which to 'undo' the effectes on Kes, and her life-including those overwhelming levels of biogenic energy-and to bring her back to those she loves-including Neelix. And the great thing is as fans of any series, or character, is that we can indeed carry them forth without 'continuity' concerns. In closing, yes, I was blunt about my regards to some previuos posting, but all I am asking is, if youjust don't like Kes, fine...but leave this thread as a positive-and respectful in language, forum. in which to comment on the character. I don't think that's too much to request, right? FINI