Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

Did the Finale strike you as sad?

''What You Leave Behind'' was a melancholy end to the series, I have long felt...with Ben Sisko roaming with the Prophets, his new child left to be nurtured, for the forseeable future, by Kassidy. Opinions?

Sad to a degree. But not very. We see Sisko go to find rest with the Prophets, with the promise that he'd return to linear time one day... he even got to explain it and say goodbye to Kassidy. For Jake, yeah there's the sadness, but it's also another rite of passage for him in becoming a man... we see it in a few ways, like when he stays behind as an embedded reporter when the Kardassians/Dominion take over DS9 and when he hosts the enemy in the cosmic battle (in the Promenade).

You have the sadness of everyone as they adjust to the loss of Sisko, but it's also not without a glimmer of hope. Kira is to carry on in his spirit and example, Quark and Odo find solace in each other in the form of their classic rivalry. Worf goes to work for Martok. Miles has a new, safe position to look forward to where he can raise his family. Julian and Ezri come together. And most importantly, the evil that was Dukat and Wynn has been defeated.

There's just so much more hope and good that comes out of it to lessen the pain. It hurts to lose Sisko, but as the Metatron said in Dogma, "That's the part that sucks about being a martyr: you have to die in order to be one."

I thought that the finale was well done.

It stuck to its true storyline and was perfect for the series.

(IMO).

Sad, yes. But satisfying as well. A good story doesn't always tie up every loose end and DS9 gave us that. It would be more sad to me to know that there would be no more DS9 but live on it still does, albeit in book form. But what is a script if not words on paper? Imagination and the theater of the mind is still the best place for the stories of DS9 to continue so for me the sadness was only knowing that there would be no more new visual episodes to watch. Thank the stars for DVD's.

it was sad that a lot of the crew had to say goodbye to DS9. That was the saddest part, and that Garak didn't really have the happy ending he deserved. At least Sisko didn't die, that would definitely cause an outrage from fans if that happened!

Amen to your points there, Steven of...kill Sisko? No way! But, as someone above said, there are for those out there who are DS9ers the novels-and of course all the fan-writers, to whom I say, ''Go write the series-onward as you see it!''(As I do with Voyager and Enterprise)

It had potential and could have been a great finale, but it was too rushed and wasted faar to much time on the war which they ought to have wrapped up several episodes earlier.

The TNG and VOY finales were much better balanced.

It's true though it did have a sadness that the other two didn't

Sad to a degree. But not very. We see Sisko go to find rest with the Prophets, with the promise that he'd return to linear time one day... he even got to explain it and say goodbye to Kassidy. For Jake, yeah there's the sadness, but it's also another rite of passage for him in becoming a man... we see it in a few ways, like when he stays behind as an embedded reporter when the Kardassians/Dominion take over DS9 and when he hosts the enemy in the cosmic battle (in the Promenade).

You have the sadness of everyone as they adjust to the loss of Sisko, but it's also not without a glimmer of hope. Kira is to carry on in his spirit and example, Quark and Odo find solace in each other in the form of their classic rivalry. Worf goes to work for Martok. Miles has a new, safe position to look forward to where he can raise his family. Julian and Ezri come together. And most importantly, the evil that was Dukat and Wynn has been defeated.

There's just so much more hope and good that comes out of it to lessen the pain. It hurts to lose Sisko, but as the Metatron said in Dogma, "That's the part that sucks about being a martyr: you have to die in order to be one."

I totally agree the finale was sad to a degree but it was an awesome end it an incredibly directed series with great acting from great actors

I think it was a pretty good ending.

I was sad that Dukat and Winn died. They were such good baddies! And I was sad that Damar died... I think he could have made some great contributions to the new Cardassian government.

I was very sad. Maybe cried a bit. A lot of the Odo/Kira stuff maybe, but the whole episode entirely too. I wish there was more to fully tie it up but thats what the books are for :flowers:

Incredibly sad for many reasons, mainly that the show was over!

But, seriously, I do wish there had been a more satisfactory ending for Kira/Odo. After everything Odo went through, the things he saw in his people vs. humanity, I wish he had decided to remain with humans, maybe even requested the link turn him into a human for good. Just my opinion.

Sisko heading off to the celestial temple was disappointing, but really, where else could the character have gone? Any other destination would have felt anti-climactic. I wish they hadn't left Kasidy with child. I wish Kasidy and Jake had been given the option of being taken up with the Prophets as well. As the Emissary, surely Sisko could have wrangled that deal!

Garak's ending was appropriate for his character. No happy ending there, but certainly a resolution to his exile. There's a price to pay for being a member of the oppressor race, regardless of whether or not you were part of the oppressing.

I loved Worf's ending on DS9 ... it really makes me furious what they did with his character in Nemesis. ;) What a travesty.

I hated the way they broke up Julian and Miles, but romance trumps bromance every time, I guess. Keiko was always a HUGE pain in the butt. :rofl:

I haven't been out on these boards for a VERY LONG time. Life does tend to get in the way of this sort of fun stuff!

Edited by gul_nodrog

Garak's ending was appropriate for his character. No happy ending there, but certainly a resolution to his exile. There's a price to pay for being a member of the oppressor race, regardless of whether or not you were part of the oppressing.

Uh... Hello? Reverse racism anyone?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but surely you can see that every German who was alive during the Holocaust, and really, every German alive today, still suffers to a degree as a result of what the Nazis did, whether they had anything personally to do with it or not. Since the whole Cardassian/Bajoran thing was a model of that, I think Garak's experience at the end is quite accurate.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but surely you can see that every German who was alive during the Holocaust, and really, every German alive today, still suffers to a degree as a result of what the Nazis did, whether they had anything personally to do with it or not. Since the whole Cardassian/Bajoran thing was a model of that, I think Garak's experience at the end is quite accurate.

Yes, and every white in the US, especially white males, should be held accountable for slavery... Even those with ancestors who came from countries that never had slaves and arrived after the Civil War.

OK, I seen the episode now. I thought it was a couple hours too long.