Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

Janeway....more logical as a captain?(For a while)

My feeling about Kathryn's promotion to admiral in ''Nemesis'' does not suit her character-that is, her psychological profile(The Doctor may or may not agree with me here!) We see in the series, that after she has accepted, along with the entire crew, in time, their situation..and embraces the opportunity for exploration, on an unprecedented scale, in this new quadrant that no starship of the UFP(so they then knew of) had ever been to. She was a science officer before she was a captain, and science officers in general, I should think, prefer to be out in the cosmos, learning about the universe, up close, and personallly. Spock went out to do that, but, yes, he had other reasons, and those being deeply personal; Tuvok returned to the organization which once he spurned, in order to expand his own understanding. Back to Kathryn, though, I feel as McCoy did in the TOS novel, ''The Lost Years'' by J.m. Dillard, that she is like James Kirk...one of ''The quarterdeck breed''...essentially born to sit in the center seat. I was recently perusing the post-endgame novel, ''Homecoming'', or its immediate sequel, and she makes a statement in reply to one of her former bridge officer-friends, I forget whom, that essentially indicates that she'd just as soon been back on Voyager-but has accepted her new post. It's not canon, but I believe it fits. And, from what I have heard, unfortunately, ther will be no Kathryn Janeway at all on the printed page..unless you count mine.So. okay-bring on the replies! Shields up!

I don't understand the purpose of making her an admiral.

I mean, she was rather fresh as a captain, at least compared to Picard and many others.

She'd been on a couple of missions as captain before her command at Voyager, none of them that dangerous. Then she accidentally ends up in the Delta Quadrant. OK, she's doing a great job in taking the ship home, no problem there. But making her an admiral just after that? Not believable!

Besides that, I don't think she's the kind of person who would become a desk clerk. She's an explorer and should be out in space, exploring and boldly going where no man (or woman) has gone before.

BRAAAAVO, Lynx! Could not agree more. She is one of my faves, but Jean-Luc has the greater experience. While I liked seeing her on screen, it should not have been so as to pidgeonhole her character....something that wrecked Janeway as a st character in..other ways.

I thought it was actualy somewhat fitting to give her a promotion and I can understand from her point of view.

She was in the delta quadrant, unexplored space, always in danger, always carrying the burden of trying to keep her crew alive and to get them home, carrying the guilt of loosing people. It was a stresful time on Voyager. when she got back she could have been burned out and wanted a safe quiet desk job

plus after all the excitement in the DQ, being a captain in the AQ could have been boring for her and she took the promotion.

she was also a great captain, making more first contacts than anyone since kirk, beating the borg, saving the AQ from 8472, getting a ship back from the other side of the galaxy in only 7 years

I can see Janeway being made an Admiral and welcoming the promotion. She was ambitious. Being behind a desk during Nemesis doesn't necessarily mean that she would remain there. During the course of Trek, we've seen Admirals assigned to many different areas of the Alpha Quadrant with differing areas of responsibility. She still had a lot of options. I can understand her wanting to stay close to home for a little while in order to get her life together.

I also think it's unfair to say she didn't deserve to be an admiral because others, like Picard, had more experience especially considering we know Picard turned down promotions to Admiral at various times.

I can see Janeway being made an Admiral and welcoming the promotion. She was ambitious. Being behind a desk during Nemesis doesn't necessarily mean that she would remain there. During the course of Trek, we've seen Admirals assigned to many different areas of the Alpha Quadrant with differing areas of responsibility. She still had a lot of options. I can understand her wanting to stay close to home for a little while in order to get her life together.

I also think it's unfair to say she didn't deserve to be an admiral because others, like Picard, had more experience especially considering we know Picard turned down promotions to Admiral at various times.

well said, I completely agree. Janeway was more than deserving of a promotio. She made more first contacts since kirk (possibly more) destroyed the Borg, saved the federation from 8472, got her ship home from across the galaxy in only seven years.....she definately deserved it