Sign in to follow this  
DaboGirl

Star Trek Merchandise Reaches for Kid Market

bridge.jpg

Star Trek Merchandise Reaches for Kid Market

Paramount let J.J. Abrams remake Star Trek largely to get it back on the pop culture radar. Sure, they also want to be buried in box office cash, Tribble-style. But, when most of the toys sold by your biggest franchise are bought by and for adults, you got trouble.

So, Abrams' new Trek is hyped up and action-packed for kids. He even cast kids in the film's lead roles. That opens the door for every studios' favorite kind of merchandising -- toys that appeal to perky, movie-loving kids who won't shut up about them until they're purchased.

It wouldn't be a sci-fi blockbuster without action figures, and Playmates is introducing a full series of new Trek designs, complete with prerequisite play sets (above).

For the girls, there are Star Trek Barbies coming. Featuring Kirk, Uhura and Spock (right), the figures include phaser and communicator accessories. There's no word yet on whether Mattel is planning a version of Barbie's Romulan Dream House.

Finally, there is a little merchandising news for adult Trek fans. According to the Indianapolis Star, a Norwegian report has Paramount releasing the first three Star Trek films on Blu-ray in 2009.

spock.jpg

The nice thing here is that we get a good look at the Bridge and its more true to the original than we thought it would be.

In one or two of the released stills, (example below) various kinds of information can be seen showing on those screens. I think they really clutter the bridge up, I hope they turn out to be more important for bridge operations than they look to be. Otherwise I think this new bridge looks great.

Uhura with partition.

screen_capture_44.jpg

More toy views:

Communicator

3217926534_cb13958fcb_o.jpg

Phaser

phaser_toy.jpg

Tricorder

pmtricyz7.jpg

Transporter

untitled.JPG

Enterprise

ent_top.png

What are those partitions behind the seats?

Its to keep Kirk from looking up those short skirts........ :giggle:

The nice thing here is that we get a good look at the Bridge and its more true to the original than we thought it would be.

Agreed. I'm liking the Bridge more now than I did earlier when the first photos were released.

Slightly is about right. Except for the Tricorder. I'm not sure if I'm too fond of that yet. It looks like my printer when I open it.

I'm sure they will become more endearing to you once you see and if you like the film.

You think so? I'm not the type to buy merchandise from movies made nowadays unless it was my absolute favorite of all time collectible. But hey I'll love to browse.

Edited by YOUST

I meant that you may start liking them more once you see the the actual props in action, in the film.

The more I see the Enterprise in action, in the trailer, the more I like it.

Its been a long time since Star Trek has been in the kids toy market. They have made special collector toys that are pretty cool. I recently purchased the Kirk and Spock 2 pack from Amock Time and the Kirk and Spock 2 pack from TMP. I guess kids could play with them, but they are more for the collector.

As far as the new toys go, Abrams said that he was making the film for a new generation of fans as well. I guess this is a part of it.