Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Star Trek Prequel Comic: Countdown

The Star Trek Prequel Comic: Countdown hit the Stores January 21st!

COUNTDOWN PREVIEW

The four issue ‘Star Trek Countdown’ comics series will show the progression from the Next Generation era to the new Star Trek movie. The series is ‘presented’ by Star Trek director JJ Abrams with a story by Star Trek co-writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. The series will primarily deal with (elder) Spock and the film’s villain Nero, including interactions with other characters from the TNG era. The series is written by Tim Jones and Mike Johnson with art by David Messina.

As reported, the comic series starts off after the events of Star Trek Nemesis. The Stardate given is 64333.4, around eight years after Nemesis (Stardate 56893.5). Issue one starts off with Nero and his crew, including his second Ayel, on a mining operation (looking for something called ‘decalithium’) when something seems to go wrong. Also of note is that Nero and his crew have hair and no tattoos (as seen in pre-release images), and although the drilling platform appears the same, Nero’s ship looks different than seen in the Star Trek trailer and press previews.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/01/10/idw-releas...-movie-prequel/

Related Poll on STFs

I preordered this from tfaw.com and never received it. I think it was a special first issue, but I have not received anything, and now issue 3 is about to come out. Now I may wait until the trade paperback comes out.

I own it and read it in less than a day. It's really good. Excellent backstory for the movie.
I quite agree. I received it in the mail earlier today and already halfway through it.

All I have seen are excerpts posted at trekcore..but it looks pretty neat. Love that Data is back, in the form of B-4, correct? I am one who has little problem with learning details about the film..no 'spoiler fear' here. Besides, J.J. and co. have kept just enough quiet so as to make it all not completely clear in detailas to how it will break down storywise.

Or at least get spoiled on events occurring within it first.

Especially on Nero's backstory.

From what I hear, Nero doesn't get a lot of back story in the movie itself. He still works as a villain, but the Countdown prequel gives those who want it, more information on him that couldn't be worked into the film.

then it definitely should be read, at least spoilers from Wiki or something like that AE suggested. It shows he isn't a real bad guy, but a man that is hurt by the loss of his family and worse (that I won't give away). A major thing happens to an entire civilization in the book, I wonder if it will be fixed or if that civilization is still going to be completely erased from Trek?! That was a huge surprise for sure

The "Bad Robot" (J.J. Abrams' company logo) appears in the comic in a cameo. I believe it is near the end of the second chapter, in a panel where Spock and Picard are conferring in a room on Vulcan after Nero has left. It is shortly before Data contacts them. The Robot is working on a console to the right of the room.

Ah, okay. I'll look more closely for that...
It's also in the same panel as the model of the Enterprise-D.