Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Natasha Yar

When Data was with the Borg Queen, his emotion chip was functioning. Since Data was a fully functional male android with emotions, the event with the Borg Queen was a first. The incident with Tasha was under the influence and Data did not have emotions. It did not overpower him as much.

When Data was with the Borg Queen, his emotion chip was functioning. Since Data was a fully functional male android with emotions, the event with the Borg Queen was a first. The incident with Tasha was under the influence and Data did not have emotions. It did not overpower him as much.

I'm not sure how the incident with the Borg Queen could compare to what happened with Tasha. Data and the Borg Queen kissed twice (I will argue to my grave that there is NO WAY they were intimate so let's not go there :drool: ).

There was no indication that Data's memory engrams were damaged by the virus so his memory would be intact. Afterall, if Tasha could remember it then there is no way that Data couldn't have.

In a way, i agree with you, Data. I think after he would have thought it was very upsetting that the first one he was with having emotions being HER!!!!!! would have caused him great upset.

Its kind of like one of us being seduced by Saddam. Ok, maybe he could give you a lot of THINGS (if he were not in hiding or dead...), but could you look at yourself in the morning?

Still, even if it was a flop, most of us look back at our first kiss...etc. as a big thing, something we never forget, even if we are capable of forgetting.

But finding ecstasy in the arms of evil? I can see hours on the Counselor’s couch after that one. (Close your eyes Takara, Yillara and Dsbs, since I know you don’t agree with my feelings about what happened THERE)

But finding ecstasy in the arms of evil? I can see hours on the Counselor’s couch after that one. (Close your eyes Takara, Yillara and Dsbs, since I know you don’t agree with my feelings about what happened THERE)

Oh darn, that was in that story wasnt it?? Got a shock for everyone though...

I actually agree with what you said Data ,almost 100% to be exact. Though reading this statement may have just made a few people cluch their hearts and reach for their heart medications... So maybe they did go a little further than the kiss, I do not want to think it did...but it may have happened

But to bring this back to the original topic(at least temporarily), I do not think I completely miss her. She was a good character, not great. And I much prefer Worf as the head of Security. There are times where she would have been the better person for the situation as Worf let his Klingon tendacies get a bit in the way of his job. But overall I definately would pick Worf over Tasha.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

At first I missed Tasha a great deal on StNG(13 year old male teen) but after I realized the reasons that Crosby left I said good riddance. Imo Tasha was an ok character but Crosby is a sub par actress.

Edited by Admiral Kirk

I also think that Tasha and Troi being friends may have been a little odd. Tasha seemed to be a bundle of inresolved issues and i think that would have bothered Troi. Also a Betazoid, who i would think would be non-violent and a security chief? It made more sence to have her friends with Bev. But that is the same reason i would not have put Troi with Worf either.

I also think that Tasha and Troi being friends may have been a little odd. Tasha seemed to be a bundle of inresolved issues and i think that would have bothered Troi. Also a Betazoid, who i would think would be non-violent and a security chief? It made more sence to have her friends with Bev. But that is the same reason i would not have put Troi with Worf either.

I agree. I would have thought a Yar/Troi relationship would have been more of a patient/counselor one because of all of those unresolved issues that Tasha was carrying.

I didn't mind the Worf/Troi relationship but I do have a really difficult time imagining Deanna participating in a Klingon mating ritual. ;)

Yeah, i can jsut see Troi smacking him across the face to start that! lol.

Oddly, i thought Tasha had a much more detailed backstory than most of the other characters, but i think Kira's resistance stories were more interesting than Tasha's rape gang stories. They were just distasteful. Sounds like that planet would have been better off of the Klingons took it over since they seemed to intersted in fighting....

Myself I always liked the Yar character, although I agree the acting was a little overdone at times. I just enjoyed having a character that had not grown up in the ideal situation like most of the crew had.

Not really.She was never really a character that made much of an impression on me.During TNG's first season,she was just kind of "there" in certain episodes,and never seemed to say much more than "Look out!" or "I'll go first."during away missions.

I think Worf made a much more natural security officer/tactical officer.

I never liked her. Even as a 13 year old kid then TNG first came out, I was annoyed by her excessive speeches...like in Farpoint in the court scene...her speech where she screams something like "YOU DONT KNOW WHAT STARFLEET IS....WHAT IT REPRESENTS!!!" and that conversation in another episode with Wesley...another useless character...about drug addiction. Most of her scenes seemed like they were just added to give her screen time after the entire episode had been filmed. As for the end of Skin of Evil...come on. Would a person in their late 20's film a eulogy made specifically for the top people on the ship...or at all?

I agree with most of what you are saying 8247. As touching as the service was I found it to be unbelievable. Even if she did put something together because of the risks of her position, why no mention of friends from other postings or the Academy? She was only on the Enterprise for a few months so some of her words didn't make sense to me. Her comments about Picard being her image of what a father would be (or something like that) seemed out of place - in the first season Picard was so distant from everyone that it's hard to imagine that. She spoke of these people as if they were the greatest friends she had ever had and yet there was never any real indication of these friendships. She and Worf seemed to be becoming friends by some things that were said. Data told people that he and Tasha were close but I wonder if he mistook the initimacy they shared in The Naked Now for closeness.

I definitely agree with your comments on the Farpoint speech (can you say over-acting boys and girls?). The drug speech was okay. She was a bit over the top in Hide & Q in my opinion as well.

As I said, I definitely don't miss Tasha. I am so glad Denise Crosby left which prompted the decision to keep Marina Sirtis (they were going to ditch the character of Troi apparently until Denise Crosby informed them she would be leaving).

Edited by Takara_Soong

You know, I was 13 when TNG came out, too. Just seeing the female characters of Tasha and Crusher being treated as the tops in their field and getting roles of authority on the ship really inspired me. I was shocked when Tasha died- I never heard any advance publicity on it, and tuned in totally uninformed.

It took a while to get over her not being a main character. I thougt she had a pretty prominent role within the 8 they were trying to squeeze in every week. Plus, that first season is always full of fine-tuning, so I think she jumped the gun and quit too soon.

But I'm torn as to whether I would want her back after Worf was promoted to Security Chief. That was a role he was born to play, no question. BTW, what was his role on the ship while Tasha was security chief? Was he tactical officer, a seperate function from security chief? That always confused me. Getting him to head security and La Forge to be chief engineer were two of the best decisions ever made character- wise IMHO.

I think that Worf was just one of the many who were under Tasha in security before she died. As far as your comment about moving Worf and Geordi, you could not be more right!!!

Both were born to fill those places.

I always thought it was weird that Tasha was kind of flirting with Picard in Hide and Q, and then talks like he's a fatehr figure in Skin of Evil. Big jump, short time....weird.

BTW, what was his role on the ship while Tasha was security chief?  Was he tactical officer, a seperate function from security chief?  That always confused me.  Getting him to head security and La Forge to be chief engineer were two of the best decisions ever made character- wise IMHO.

Worf was relief con and tactical officer during Tasha's tenure as security chief.

I didn't miss Tasha really. Her leaving meant that Worf's character could evolve and step into the limelight and his background story was so much more intresting than Tasha's *yawn* rape gang story. The rape storys were an overboard attempt to show that not everyone has a happy upbringing in the 24th century. Still, Tasha was a precursor to Kira whose resistance storys were fantastic.

It also felt like she was only starred in most of the episodes merely so that she would be there and not for any actual reason. The only episode she was the main character in was really a trumpet blowing session for her i.e. she boasted, and she overacted incredibly sometimes. I also felt that the two similar characters (her and Worf) clashed on the first season and prevented the other from developing. With her out the picture Worf's character grew...and grew...and grew. Something I'm very thankful for. Her death was stupid but overall I'm actually glad it happened. Not in a morbid way though.

She wasn't a bad character and I didn't hate her but I just never connected with her.

I've mentioned a few times that I didn't really care for her character, here's links to those posts:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=918&

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...t=0entry79037

Basically I thought the show was better without her then it was with her. It allowed Worf to grow into the character that we've come to know and I don't believe that would have happened had Tasha lived.

Actually, Worf was just a bridge officer, he didn't have a specific duty.  He just did whatever needed to be done on the bridge.  While he often helped with security, he wasn't officially a security officer as he wore a red uniform, not gold.

startrek.com's personnel file for Worf lists him as being the relief con and tactical officer before he was named Acting Security Chief.

There were a number of episodes in season 1 where Worf would immediatele take the helm when Geordi was called away.

Edited by Takara_Soong

ST.com is inacurrate.  I've found a number of errors on the site when it comes to character info.  If Worf were a security officer, he would have worn a gold uniform, not red.

I didn't say he was a security officer. He was relief con and tactical officer. Con was a command position, not security. According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia Worf was a con officer.

Do remember that many of the bridge officers were cross trained to be able to fill different position should an officer go on away teams or be needed somewhere else. We have even seen Wesley at Opps in the beginning of "Datalore" so if HE was cross trained, being an acting ensign, Worf had to be much more proficient.

I think that in Season One of TNG, none of the characters were really 'loveable' as they were still new to us and as such had less emotional attachment. As time went on, we became more attached to them like old friends. Picard being abducted by the Borg had more impact that had that happened during Season One, I feel. Therefore, Tasha was lost and that was that. The TNG that followed in that wake is the one we know and love and would choses to defend. To say that she was no real loss though would be wrong in my eyes. Lost was the potential for a strong character. Quite along the lines of Major JKira in DS9. Like that character I would have loved to have seen her mellow and fall in love and still retain her original element. Troi had less room for growth in my book. Being more the spolit girly tye to Tasha's street kid persona.

Replacing Denise Crosby on the show,never really mattered to me.Natasha Yar was not a major character,as far as I was concerned.I was far more interested by Picard and Data (whose name I pronounce like that-a,instead of theta...that really annoys my Trekkie friends).

And,besides,the removal of Yar made room for Worf to develop and grow into the great character he eventually became.

I didn't really miss Tasha after Denise Crosby left, either. As many previous posts have indicated, her departure left room for Worf to shine. Oh, and regarding Sela...didn't she appear in an episode of DS9? I'm pretty sure she appeared during the Dominion War story arc. I seem to remember the Romulans were trying to ally with the Dominion and I thought there was an episode where Sela is seen conspiring with Weyoun to defeat the Federation. Am I imagining that? Help me out fellow Trekkies!

Replacing Denise Crosby on the show,never really mattered to me.

She wasn't replaced, just "killed off" by Armus.

Exactly, she just had someone(Worf) take over her post posthumously.

What I ment was that the "character" wasn't replaced where as Seven "replaced" Kes on VOY, I didn't mean her post.  Sorry about the confussion. ;)

Ah, ok no problem CJLP.... my mistake :grin: