Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Natasha Yar

Natasha Yar was a member of the original TNG cast. Tasha's final episode as a regular was durring Season 1, "Skin of Evil". However, she returned via time-travel stories in "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "All Good Things..."

What did you think of her character, and do you miss her?

I did miss her a little. The best episode with her in it was "Yesterday's Enterprise".

Agreed, "Yesterday's Enterprise" was Tasha at her best and gave her a chance to "die honorably". However, we learn later on in the series that before the Enterprise-C was detroyed, Tasha was captured by Romulans. A Romulan General decided to take her as a wife or something, and they had a child. When Sela was 3, Tasha tried to escape with her child, but Sela screamed out or something. This lead to Tasha's execution.

Here's a question: What if Tasha wasn't executed but "frozen" by her Romulan consort to hide her from being executed. This would allow her to show up in ST-11, even if it's not a TNG movie. It'd also explain her looking "older" (becuase of the time she spent with the Romulans after capture). Anywho, just an idea of mine. :look:

Here's a question: What if Tasha wasn't executed but "frozen" by her Romulan consort to hide her from being executed. This would allow her to show up in ST-11, even if it's not a TNG movie. It'd also explain her looking "older" (becuase of the time she spent with the Romulans after capture). Anywho, just an idea of mine. :laugh:

Sounds to me like what you got there is an excellent plotline for a novel or fan-fic, go for it.

My feeling of Missing Tahsa has changed over time. I did not miss her at first, I saw her leaving TNG as an ego trip on her part and an insult to those fans that had begun to care about her. I said some rude things about Denise when she left to become a "movie star". :look:

Ten years (or so) later and I'm raising my daughter on TNG DVD's, Jem adores Tasha from the start and inner turmoil begins in me because I know what's coming and I fear how it will affect Jem but I say nothing, waiting to see how it plays out. Well, It played out wonderfully.

Jem was crushed with the death of Tasha (first time she ever faced the realities of death) but it became a bonding experience for her and I. I used the experience to walk her through the grieving process and now I'm happy I had the opportunity to share and prepare Jem for that eventuality (death) in a fictional situation rather than in "real life".

Thank you Denise Crosby, you restored my faith.

I don't miss Tasha at all. Still haven't forgiven her for the shabby treatment of Data at the end of The Naked Now. (I have been known to hold grudges for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time lol).

Edited by Takara_Soong

I don't miss Tasha at all.  Still haven't forgiven her for the shabby treatment of Data at the end of The Naked Now.  (I have been known to hold grudges for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time lol).

It wasn't shabby, she was embarrased. Besides, it's not like it ment anything, they were under the influence of a virus.

True Yar was under the influence of the virus, but so was Data and so he was just as much at fault as she was for what happened, but her comments to him were very callous and cutting. Just because Data does not have emotions it does not mean its ok to be rude or hurtful to him.

I can only hope that before her untimely death, they had a chance to sit down and clear the air.

I also think the "Data... It never happened!!" - sentence was a bit rude :(

But I liked Tasha and I miss her a lot. I also liked her performance as the Romulan Commander Sela in some TNG episodes. Of course I loved it when she appeared in "All Good Things"... I really liked her (except her rude behaviour against Data, of course :laugh: )

I think she had a senseless death by being killed by Armus. I cry everytime I see "Skin Of Evil"'s final scene in which her holographic message is talking to the crew :look:

But I think in "Yesterday's Enterprise" she finally got the death she should have gotten in the first (well, I personally think she should never have died :look: )...

Mrs. Captain Picard

I too really liked Tasha Yar..And am still sad that she left TNG after only 1 season..She is till one of my favorite TNG characters..I guess we were lucky to get her back for 'Yesterdays Enterprise'.A great Episode..I'm trying to remember what eventually happened to her her Romulan daughter Sela..?..I can't remember if she survived or not..Wasn't she involved on that Spock TNG episode somehow..Or am I mistaken..?

Yes, she was in "Unification", the episode with Spock and Jean-Luc ("cowboy diplomacy" :look: ) on Romulus.

But it has never been explained what happened to her (if I did not miss anything) after the happenings of "Unification".

Mrs. Captain Picard

Tasha is one of my favorites from TNG. She had such a "tough guy" attitude. I think that's why I like her... because of her personality. It is really too bad that she died. I would have liked to see her more and get to know her better. It was really sad when she died, and I cried while her hologram was talking to her friends. It was almost as if she was giving her own eulogy. It was always cool when she came back. It was like being able to see an old friend. Oh, and her hair was so cool!

And in response to the "it never happened" comments, she may have been rude to Data that one time, but it's very clear that she liked him... perhaps more than she cared to reveal. And after that one time, she was really embarrassed, and she really didn't want anyone to know. I remember one time, a group of officers were meeting with some aliens or something, and Picard introduced Data and an alien made a comment that he was an android. Then Tasha said "and third in command of the Enterprise" with obvious pride and a tone of voice that said "so what if he's an android?" And those things she said about Data in her recorded hologram were so sweet. She really did like him and respect him, and it's unfair to say she was rude to him just because of one thing she said when she was caught in an embarrassing moment. Everybody says things they don't mean sometimes.

I really liked Tasha but do to her quiting worf got a chance to shine. The little trivia that I know is that skin of evil was not her last episode she was in the next one symbosius do to production order so at the very end of symbosius when trio and picard are walking on to a turbolife you can see tasha wave in the back ground.

I missed Tasha a lot during TNG's run without her.I thought the character had tremendous potential,and felt that Gene Roddenberry gave Denise Crosby a bum deal.She wanted more on-screen time and insisted on being more than the typical Trek eye candy that all female cast members prior to her had been.Gene and the studio refused,so she left (this from an interview of Crosby done right after she left the show).So much for equality!

I missed Tasha a lot during TNG's run without her.I thought the character had tremendous potential,and felt that Gene Roddenberry gave Denise Crosby a bum deal.She wanted more on-screen time and insisted on being more than the typical Trek eye candy that all female cast members prior to her had been.Gene and the studio refused,so she left (this from an interview of Crosby done right after she left the show).So much for equality!

I find those remarks of Denise Crosby to be rather incredible. How much screen time did she expect when she signed on as a supporting member of an 8 person cast. She appeared in 23 episodes but for argument sake let's say she notified them that she was leaving after 20 episodes (enough time for Skin of Evil to be written). She had the A story line in at least one episode and was prominent in a number of others. Tasha being the security chief was hardly a role that could be considered eye candy. She certainly kicked butt on more than one occassion.

IMO, Denise Crosby left because she thought she was too good for television and wanted to be a movie star. She discovered, just like many others before her, that she should have stayed where she was.

I find those remarks of Denise Crosby to be rather incredible. How much screen time did she expect when she signed on as a supporting member of an 8 person cast. She appeared in 23 episodes but for argument sake let's say she notified them that she was leaving after 20 episodes (enough time for Skin of Evil to be written). She had the A story line in at least one episode and was prominent in a number of others. Tasha being the security chief was hardly a role that could be considered eye candy. She certainly kicked butt on more than one occassion.

IMO, Denise Crosby left because she thought she was too good for television and wanted to be a movie star. She discovered, just like many others before her, that she should have stayed where she was.

I agree with Takara.I remember Crosby's rant from an issue of tv guide,right after she left the show.Basically,she wanted a starring role,and told Gene and the studio that if she was not a member of TNG's "Big Three"(Picard,Data,Riker),that she would quit.And when her demands were turned down,she made good her promise to leave.And I think,"Good riddance".If she had stayed on board,Worf would have never developed as well as he did,IMO,and we wouldn't have had all those great Klingon storylines in TNG and DS9 :drool: .

Takara that is ok. Data has forgivin her.

He never seemed to be the one to hold grudges. I mean, what she said irked me at the time, and if I am watching the episode I will gett a little PO'd again but still.... What she said to him was highly rude and insensitive, but what was said was over 16 years ago now(either in our time or theirs)...so, I am pretty sure he would have been beyond that by now.And what she said alone cannot guide me in my judgement of her as a person.

Some of us just get over things quickly..and though a few people refuse to believe it, I am one such person(and I am sure Data is such a type of person as well).

And I agree with Data, he would have forgiven her. At sometime before her death I am sure he would have.

As for the poll question, I am uncertain as to whether I missed her being a part of the crew.

Ten years (or so) later and I'm raising my daughter on TNG DVD's, Jem adores Tasha from the start and inner turmoil begins in me because I know what's coming and I fear how it will affect Jem but I say nothing, waiting to see how it plays out. Well, It played out wonderfully.

hey alterego....your not a uber super fan and named your son hadar did u?

I don't get it, please elaborate... What is "uber" and who is "hadar"?

Some of us just get over things quickly..and though a few people refuse to believe it, I am one such person(and I am sure Data is such a type of person as well).

Its easy to say you have forgiven, not so easy to prove it.

I'm just hoping it did happen (the forgiveness between them) or it may have shadowed Data's FEELING later when he actually got them. I'm a firm believer that once the chip was installed, the jokes he had heard in the past was just the tip of the iceberg as far as what Data went over with new emotional eyes.

The point is, forgiveness is a two way street. If lines of communication are reopened, the forgiveness must be stated by both parties...not just one.

Uber fan is like a really, really hardcore super fan AE.

I believe the reference with Hadar was to Jem.

BTW deagletime, Jem is a nickname for AE's daughter after a TOS character.

Sela was seen in "Redemption" where we got an explanation on what happened to the "alternate Tasha" and then saw Sela again in "Unification".  She only was only in those 2 2-parters, and I was hoping she'd be in NEMESIS.

Actually CJLP, Sela was in Mind's Eye. You may recall in that episode when Geordi was being "brainwashed" that there was a female Romulan standing in the shadows as Taibak was explaining the "brainwashing" process. The voice for that female Romulan was Denise Crosby so that was in fact Sela's first "appearance".

Edited by Takara_Soong

Uber fan is like a really, really hardcore super fan AE.

I believe the reference with Hadar was to Jem.

BTW deagletime, Jem is a nickname for AE's daughter after a TOS character.

Oh I see, thanks Takara, :lol: that clears it up.

Deagletime, Takara is correct. Jem is nicknamed after an nickname Bones gave an OS character: The Empath, from the episode of the same name.

Our son was raised on TNG as well but during the series first run. He learned :drool: to appreciate TOS as we went but he never picked up a Trek based nick as Jem did.

I do not think that Yar's comment really affected Data that much. Since he was under the influence at the time, he probably did not remember much anyway.

I do not think that Yar's comment really affected Data that much. Since he was under the influence at the time, he probably did not remember much anyway.

You know, Data you once again made a great point. Who really does know how that comment affected him?

At the time it wouldn't have affected him at all but who knows how the installation of the emotion chip changed Data's perception of his memories. There is no way Data would have forgotten - he wasn't under the influence when she made the comments and he would still have a memory record of the tryst. It was obvious that he had not forgotten from his mentioning the encounter at the hearing in The Measure of a Man.

I still don't like the way Tasha treated Data but I'm really not a Tasha fan for other reasons - some of which had to do with Denise Crosby's over-acting at times. And as horrible as Tasha's early life was, if I had heard one more reference to those rape gangs I would have screamed.

This whole little debate seems to have started from my comment about how I can hold a grudge. There have been times when I have held a grudge and not even realized it but all of my long term grudges have been sports related. :drool:

At the time it wouldn't have affected him at all but who knows how the installation of the emotion chip changed Data's perception of his memories.  There is no way Data would have forgotten - he wasn't under the influence when she made the comments and he would still have a memory record of the tryst.  It was obvious that he had not forgotten from his mentioning the encounter at the hearing in The Measure of a Man.

From what I gathered in the hearing, Data had only fond memories of Tasha.

As for the implant of the emotion chip. When it was first activated, it overloaded. Data could not handle the emotions. It is very possible that the incident did affect him at the time of the activation of the emotion chip. By First Contact, Data was able to just turn the chip off. I think Data must have had so many other memories that the Tasha incident was like a blink of the eye.

At the time it wouldn't have affected him at all but who knows how the installation of the emotion chip changed Data's perception of his memories.  There is no way Data would have forgotten - he wasn't under the influence when she made the comments and he would still have a memory record of the tryst.  It was obvious that he had not forgotten from his mentioning the encounter at the hearing in The Measure of a Man.

As for the implant of the emotion chip. When it was first activated, it overloaded. Data could not handle the emotions. It is very possible that the incident did affect him at the time of the activation of the emotion chip. By First Contact, Data was able to just turn the chip off. I think Data must have had so many other memories that the Tasha incident was like a blink of the eye.

Exactly, I believe Data had said he experienced something like 172 different emotional states. I am sure his feelings for Tasha were amongst them.

Both Tasha and Data were very fond of each other it seems, and protective as well... if they had not gotten over that It Never Happened incident, would they have been that close?

I'm sure at the time it happened her comments had no effect on him because he was incapable of being hurt. He did tell Ishara Yar that he and Tasha were close. As I said there really is no way that we will know for sure how his emotion chip changed his memories however to say that the events surrounding the only time he had been intimate with a woman would go by in an eyeblink might be pushing it. Also as you may recall Data told Picard in First Contact that he had been tempted by the Borg Queen for 0.68 seconds (or something) and then he said that for an android that was an eternity.