Sign in to follow this  
DaboGirl

Star Trek XI Prop Sighting

Vegas electronics show offers sneak peek at new Star Trek movie goodies.

January 9, 2009 - Who'd a thunk that the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada would be the first place in the world to reveal three popular props from the J.J. Abrams theatrical reboot Star Trek. But sure enough while walking back from a dinner between the Venetian and The Palazzo hotels, this reporter spotted an Intel display running the film's trailer. Even more exciting was the contents of a little Plexiglas case just to the right of the monitor.

Inside were three of the actual movie props used during shooting of the film. They were Dr. McCoy's Medical Tricorder, Kirk's Communicator, and Uhura's Communication's Unit. The look of the brushed metal pieces remained true to their original series counterparts, yet had a modern flare about them.

But don't take my word for it -- see for yourself!

3182330259_838cee7fe3.jpg

The tricorder and the earpiece look good, for some reason I'm not thrilled by the look of the communicator. But that's probably just me.

The Communicator and ear-thingy are ok but the Tricorder looks odd.

I think Tricorder is a mislabel. I believe its intended to be like the 'salt shaker' medical scanner McCoy was always using.

And I concur about the other two props. It would have been cooler to see the communicator open though.