Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Nemesis Box Office Numbers

Figuring out whether a movie made a profit or not is quite complicated apparently (at least that what the studios claim in the lawsuits). I believe Nemesis should recoup Paramount's investment when all is said and done.

There were some big movies out that didn't do much in the profit department yet you don't hear the doom and gloom about them. For example the last James Bond film Die Another Day made almost $161 million but the combined production and advertising budget totalled $180 million. Have you heard any talk about no more James Bond movies? No!

Men in Black 2 brought in just over $190 million but cost $190 million to make and advertise but I think I heard there might be another sequel for that one too.

Majority Report brought in $130 million but cost $142 million but it wasn't considered a flop.

And then you have the "critically acclaimed movies" like Gangs of New York that cost $135 million but only brought in $78 million.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is we shouldn't count Trek or TNG out of the movies yet!

Hmm, that's quite an interesting way to look at it. May I ask where you got your numbers? THANKS!!!

Guest Ktrek

Takara_Soong,

You are right that Paramount will likely make all their money back. Today many movies become profitable once they are released to DVD/VHS. However, movie execs do place alot on box office draw and if the fans are no longer coming out to the box ofice to support a movie then there will be no more. I think TPBT will allow one more shot at a ST feature film. If things do not change, or God forbid, get worse then there will be no more ST movies period. You cannot pour good money down a sink hole and even though those of us here on this board are rabid fans I think ST has lost most of it's attraction to modern viewers. Just my opinion. :wow:

Ktrek

What lawsuit?

I always feel like i am in the dark about something..

In the past I have read about studios being sued by various people wanting their share of the profits of a movie and the studios always give some song and dance about how complicated the accounting is to try to keep as much of the money to themselves. I don't have any specific examples just memories of having read it.

Hmm, that's quite an interesting way to look at it. May I ask where you got your numbers? THANKS!!!

The figures I got were from Box Office Mojo.

I guess it kind of bugs me that other franchises don't get the doom and gloom talk of Star Trek. I mentioned the numbers for Die Another Day. The previous Bond movie The World Is Not Enough had the same story - it made almost $127 million at the box office but the production cost $135 million to make (the advertising budget is not included in the $135 million figure). I don't recall any talk last time about no more Bond movies.

Just one thought:

Die Another Day made $160.9 million in the US, and the US has never been the most profitable area for James Bond movies. That is a record for gross of a James Bond in the States. Worldwide, it made quite a bit more -- $425.4 million. And another thing, Die Another Day only just recentley opened in Japan, nad this stats were taken before that.

Die Another Day is the most succesfull James Bond film to date, which beat the previous film Goldeneye by alot. Anyways, I'm a huge Bond fan (I'm a bigger Bond fan then a Trek fan!!! Lol.) and I'm just adding to the conversation.

P.S. Sean Conerry is the best Bond!!! :wow: Goldfinger rocks!!! B)

Bond movies must be the only movies that the studios make with more of an eye on the foreign market.

Nemesis is going to open in Japan next weekend, I wonder how it will do. Do you know what the final numbers from the Box office were for Nemesis in the US?

Nemesis is going to open in Japan next weekend, I wonder how it will do. Do you know what the final numbers from the Box office were for Nemesis in the US?

According to Variety, $43,126,102 domestic and the "worldwide total" is $62,083,388 but the "worldwide total" doesn't include a number of countries including Canada. The foreign markets listed were Australia, Austria, Germany, Mexico, Spain and the United Kingdom.

That is what drives me crazy when people say that Nemesis failed as a whole. the DVD & VHS rentals and sales have not started yet. And all countries have not been acounted for yet, and Japan (as Tank stated) hasn't even begun showing the movie. So the world wide take cannot be accurate, yet. It is not a failure until EVERYTHING is accounted for.

Perhaps if they made a movie in which a favourite character did NOT die, it might do better? :wow::wow: (Also, the script leaking out could have been a bit of a problem...I read it, and when I went to the movie, I thought I had seen some scenes already because of the script - which I only read in the hopes that Data DIDN'T die in it. Anyways, maybe some people felt they didn't need to see it after reading it. I don't think so, though. Movie's are usually much better than the script b/c of the actors and FX. Unless it's a movie based on a book in which case it probably sucks, and evem if it is good, the book's usually better.)

My brother told me about the script when it was leaked out onto a script page. I told him that it was probably a fake script to throw people off. Then I read through the blanked out part of an interview. Even then I thought they were joking about certain parts of the movie, and when I went to the theater that is when the rumors became real for me.

I think the script leaking on to the net, and bad rumors led to the bad press. People were already saying they hated the movie, and that was about a month before it even came out! They admitted later it was because they read the script and that they really hadn't seen the actual movie yet. And then of course, you've got people making fun or at least attempting to parody the movie. None of these factors would ever help a movie!

That is what drives me crazy when people say that Nemesis failed as a whole. the DVD & VHS rentals and sales have not started yet. And all countries have not been acounted for yet,

I agree. I've always felt that Nemesis will do better in VHS and DVD Sales.

and...this just may be me....and eventhough I enjoyed the movie I'm about to pin this on...I blame Nemesis' poor Box Office Results on Insurrection

I agree Insurrection had something to do with it too. The darkness of the film meant that it wasn't helped by the world situation being what it was at the time. For the past few months people want to go to light comedies (except for LOTR).

When I saw Nemesis....it was Opening Night of TTT. There where 3 People watching Nemesis...counting Me...while 2 rooms were Full..showing TTT.

Oh, I saw TTT the next night :wow:

I agree Insurrection had something to do with it too.  The darkness of the film meant that it wasn't helped by the world situation being what it was at the time.  For the past few months people want to go to light comedies (except for LOTR).

Takara, do you mean the darkness of INS or NEM?Sorry if it is a dumb question but the way it's worded,

I want to make sure.

Sorry, I meant Nemesis. With much of the world bracing for war it was a tough time to release a dark movie like Nemesis. I didn't word that previous post too well did I. My brain thought it but the fingers didn't type it.

I really think though that people who saw it once and didn't like it should watch it again. Dark movies have a way of leaving a person numb. The first time I saw Nemesis I was so overwelmed that I couldn't take in everything. The more I saw it the more I loved it.

Shoot!

I was hoping you were including INS in that post. I am looking for justifcations for both INS and NEM to be part of an altered timeline after First Contact. So far the only thing really out of place with INS is that dopey Admiral. O' well...

I wonder about the war being a good excuse for the flopping of NEM but I do not have a better one.

I think one very big reason it "failed" at the box office is when it was released. I mean, could they possibly have chosen a worse time to open Nemesis? Hary Potter, LOTR, Gangs of New York, etc. What were they thinking? (me, I was saving my $$ for LOTR, as I was way to emotional at that point to want to risk seeing the movie. Especially with my brother. And it's a good thing to, because I DID cry when I saw it, and that was months later)

Oh, no! One could already imagine all of the articles and reviews. And everyone thought the articles and reviews were bad during the "competition" between Nemesis and LOTR: The Two Towers!!!!

and if those do come out on the same day I know that my brother and I will be at the theater, he'd see the new Star Wars, and then we'd both see the New Trek(well, If Brent is in it and it is a TNG movie, then I would see it!)

I think that Insurrection played a strong part in Nemesis doing pourly at the box office. I think if Nemesis had followed First Contact than it would have done much better. First Contact did so well that a lot of people were hyped for Inurrection. However when Insurrection came out and it was little more than a light hearted two hour episode of TNG, I think a lot of people lost interest in TNG movies. I thought Insurrection was great but I will admit that it is the only Trek film that I've only made it out to see once since The Final Frotier. Also after First Contact Paramont put a lot of money into Insurrection and after it's disipointing box office numbers I don't think that they were willing to risk near as much on Nemesis. I only hope that they will be willing to roll the dice again for Star Trek XI!

I agree with everyone. It seemed to me that people had already made up their minds about Nemesis before they even saw it.

I do think Insurrection may have played a role. I liked it least of all TNG films. I did watch it recently and found that I could appreciate it a bit more. I think that's what will happen with Nemesis.

It's been so long since it was out and all of the talk has gone (for the general public that is not for us obviously) when people watch it on DVD they will realize what a good movie it really is. Especially with the added scenes that I'm sure will help to clarify some things.

It seemed to me that people had already made up their minds about Nemesis before they even saw it.

And that's what makes me so Mad. The Movie Was Great and it wasn't even given a Chance by "Those" People :laugh: