Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

If Star Trek XI Fails...

If the movie fails, then I think the franchise is done for, at least for the time being.

I don't think that would be such a bad thing. Ten years from now when we're all dying for new Star Trek, we'd go see ANYTHING. Right now, you've got a certain percentage of the fanbase who won't see this new movie for whatever reason: the recast, the rewriting of Trek history, etc. This is not a fanbase ready to fork over their money to see a version Trek they don't want to see. Down the line, we won't be so particular IMO.

Well.....I, for one, don't really want to wait 10 years for new Trek........

I don't either, but if that ends up happening I think the franchise would still survive. There will continue to be books, games, etc.

Remember, there was a 15 year gap between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace, and it didn't seem to hurt box office sales. The Star Wars franchise survived. Star Trek has been around a lot longer than Star Wars.

Agreed as well, the spirit of Star Trek in pretty indomitable, plus I always run into people who are either young and have never seen Star Trek, or older folks who have finally decided to give it a go. Even if the franchise falls, I believe the spirit will always be there..

If anything, I think that it will bring new fans into the fold.

Its failure or its success will bring new fans into the fold? The question was "If Star Trek XI fails....."

Edited by gul_nodrog

Actually, even it's failure might bring in some new fans.

When Dune came out as a movie in 1984 critics, moviegoers, and those already familiar with the books thought it stunk. It didn't even make a profit. But there were obviously some aspects of the movie that people liked well enough to take a chance on the books. At the time there were only 6 books and now there are too many to count plus video games and 2 SciFi channel miniserieses.

New fans won't add to or take away from whether or not it's a success or failure. They could add 1 million new fans but turn off 10 million existing fans and kill the franchise for the near future in terms of new projects.

Star Trek will never be dead, not for many, many years anyway. There's too many existing fans and too many hours of existing shows/movies for it to be dead. TOS being cancelled in 1969 but thriving for 10 years afterwards proved that and there were only 79 hours of Trek then.

Star Trek will survive regardless. The question is, how long will we have to wait for new Trek if the new movie fails?

we can assume one thing. If it fails WE will be blamed for it like with Nemesis. They gave us a mediocre movie with the name "Star Trek" slapped on it, hired a director who was bragging about knowing nothing about Trek, and then blamed the fans for it flopping saying that we've lost interest. The interest is still there, we just don't want any old crap with the name star trek on it. There were what, five thousand people at the convention in Las Vegas? The interest is definately still there

My question is this (and I know I've said this before) where are these magical new fans that are going to save the franchise? Why haven't they watched trek before? Enterprise was geared towards "new" fans and the show got canceled.

Like it or not, Star Trek still has a huge negative stigma....I just spent christmas eve listening to my brother in law say that Star Trek is for stoners, that you "have to be high off your ass to get that stuff" People still see Star Trek as geeky, and no amount of "reimagining" is going to change that.

Do you realy think the average teenager is going to see the trailer and say to their friends "hey lets go see the new Star Trek movie" Or the average person is going to say "hey they changed Star Trek I have to go see it. And with the HUGE budget that the new movie has, it has to earn record numbers to just break even

I'm afraid that not only is this movie NOT going to attract many new viewers but that it's also going to lose the existing ones

Yes, new fans ARE needed, but they shouldn't come at the expense of the existing fans that have put their love, loyalty, and money into the franchise for the past 40 years

having said all that, I still think this movie will be a good movie, I think it's going to be a fun, funny, action packed, sci fi movie...but a poor Star Trek movie

I forgot to mention

I don't think that Star Trek will be dead...not for a very very very long time, because of US. Who hasn't shown Star Trek to their children? Who doesn't PLAN on showing Star Trek to their children. I don't have kids yet but when I do we fully plan on showing it to them, not just because we love it but becaus there's also good values and lesons in it. A friend of mine who takes his two young daughters to conventions with him says that Star Trek has taught his kids more about values and right and wrong than religion ever did.

I go to many conventions and there are always young people there. Not kids that got dragged there by their parents, but kids that LOVE the show, that wear costumes because they want to, kids that know trivia that stumps even their parents (yes I've seen my friend get stumped in the trivia contest by his own daughter), and even kids who came to conventions without their parents that discovered the shows on their own and love it.

Personally-and of course I don't have access to the Prophets here(Wink, wink) I feel that it will work, this time, but, say it doesn't, from a broader, product-centered arena...it could do some serious damage. Will it crush fandom? No way. It has survived a cancellation of TOS-which in itself helped galvanize fandom, the unfortunate axing of Enterprise, etc. Trek is by now too broad, and rich a world, with novels, all the great fan-writing, and on and on...let's just keep our fingers crossed, and our hearts open to ..possibilities!