Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Orci On Canon And Timelines

So this movie will sort of take place in an alternate universe kind of thing? That means they can do whatever they want and just blame it on the fact that its an alternate universe.

I don't like it, and it seems that a lot of others don't like it either because there seems like a lot of explanations coming out as if they're trying to cover themselves when the fans complain. "Oh, don't worry... it's just an alternate universe and it doesn't count."

I'd almost be willing to bet that they had no intention on making this an "alternate universe" story until they started getting feedback and it was negative. If they had intended it to be that way then why not just bill it as a "Mirror Universe" movie? Probably because they don't even know that the "Mirror Universe" already exists in Star Trek canon.

I don't like it, and it seems that a lot of others don't like it either because there seems like a lot of explanations coming out as if they're trying to cover themselves when the fans complain. "Oh, don't worry... it's just an alternate universe and it doesn't count."

I'd almost be willing to bet that they had no intention on making this an "alternate universe" story until they started getting feedback and it was negative. If they had intended it to be that way then why not just bill it as a "Mirror Universe" movie? Probably because they don't even know that the "Mirror Universe" already exists in Star Trek canon.

I agree. So I guess we are supposed to believe that none of what goes on in this movie has anything to do with the Trek timeline that we are used to. So is Leonard Nimoy's "Spock" our Spock or an alternate universe Spock?

I am fine with it. I see this as having our cake and eating it too.

I don't feel lied to in the least, it does exactly what they have said it would do all along, respect canon; the idea was born directly from dialog/events within the episodes Yesterdays Enterprise and Parallels. The original time line won't be erased, our DVDs won't become obsolete.

Of course, whether or not it is a good story is yet to be seen. I'll find out at the theater.

I am fine with it. I see this as having our cake and eating it too.

I don't feel lied to in the least, it does exactly what they have said it would do all along, respect canon; the idea was born directly from dialog/events within the episodes Yesterdays Enterprise and Parallels. The original time line won't be erased, our DVDs won't become obsolete.

Of course, whether or not it is a good story is yet to be seen. I'll find out at the theater.

In Yesterday's Enterprise "our timeline" was altered though, Tasha did go back in time and had a daughter that in turn tried to take over the Klingon Empire. I didn't like that aspect either. In Parallels, the last universe Worf was in (maybe all of them) thier Worf just vanished (or so we were led to believe by Troi being upset that 'her Worf' wouldn't return).

At this point I'm leaning toward waiting for it to be on DVD and I'll just get it from Netflix.

yeah, I also think that it is an excuse to explain the differences

kind of pointless to have a movie set in an "alternate universe"but I will still see the movie in the theater though

yeah, I also think that it is an excuse to explain the differences

kind of pointless to have a movie set in an "alternate universe"but I will still see the movie in the theater though

I agree. It won't stop me from seeing it in the theater. The question is.......how many times will I watch it in the theater? THAT will depend on the movie.

This is yet another film I'll wait to see on dvd.

Thats really a bad attitude to take. Doing that helps to kill the franchise. It wouldn't kill any real Trek fan to take the time to see this movie at least once in the theater. If its bad, don't see it again but at least support the franchise so that it will continue.

So that means every episode, every movie, every video game, every comic book, etc. could be taking place in a different alternate universe and that there is no such thing as cannon.

I smell a cop-out here.

Originally only the episodes (Enterprise?)and movies were canon. It makes thing easier on them from a writing standpoint. The same crap is going on in the Star Wars universe too.