Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Documentary

I watched, again, TMP and TWOK Director's Editions over the holidays, only this time with the Commentary on and it was pretty interesting. I watched TWOK the whole way through and I am about 30 mins into the Motion Pic. Robert Wise sorta drawls his way through, but I really enjoyed Nick Mayer's anicdotes and production tales. About how he wanted to create a U-Boat feel and how he made Shatner say his lines over and over until he dropped the bravado and umpf he normally injected into every syllable. Curiously, in TMP, Wise along with others involved in making TMP provides some insight in details in the movie like how they created special effects and why they put certain things into certain places.

As much as it has been maligned, I must say I still like it. Whatever the flaws-at least in the original, it had this BIG THREAT on the way, which, yes, has by now been done a lot...but I get a kick out of the concept. I don't own the dvds of the film(s) but wish I had gotten them when I had more cash.

While I love the trilogy of 2 – 4 and feel that style was greatly needed for the films to be successful, I also feel that by the time of the fifth film that perhaps a more serious tone was needed as the films began to be comedies. This was rectified by ST6, however I always feel ST1 makes a nice change because it is so different and still works imo.

I still like the opening Klingon battle..and that wonderful, and by now iconic thematic music..along with the main title. It still gives me a rush, sometimes, along with the music in the 'rebirth' of that marvelous maiden of the stars...1701 emerging from her cradle....good stuff. Sure, when first screened the fx were by today's standards not as good in places, but at least the crew was back. And Kirk reuniting with McCoy...his hand extended, and the lok in Bones' eyes, as he at last accepts it...Kirk and Spock, his brother, together again...it had to star somewhere. And, at least, despite what might have been a better film overall, let's be grateful the impetus was there to bring our heroes to us once more. And imagine, truly, how FAR less rich the Star Trek universe would be, without all those series, and characters, whatever your preference, that Gene and Rick, Brannon, Jeri, and God Rest him, Michael Piller created....because Gene was able to bring Star Trek back, in whatever form.

Edited by Voyager recruit