Sign in to follow this  
Vic

IMAX 'Star Trek XI'

Be sure you understand, no part of this film was filmed in IMAX. While the image will be slightly bigger than a normal screen it will not be a true IMAX experience.

The point is they can charge $5-7 more per ticket, and people who don't know any better will happily shell it out thinking they're getting something they're not. True IMAX fills that whole screen from top to bottom.

What is happening with Star Trek is called IMAX DMR (Digital Remastering.) From Wiki...

Reviewers have generally praised the results of the DMR blowup process, which have superior visual and auditory impact to the same films projected in 35 mm. Many large format film industry professionals point out, however, that DMR blowups are not comparable to films created directly in the 70 mm 15 perf IMAX format. They note that the decline of Cinerama coincided roughly with the supersession of the original process with a simplified, reduced cost, technically inferior version, and view DMR with alarm. IMAX originally reserved the phrase "the IMAX experience" for true 70 mm productions, but now allows its use on DMR productions as well. However, IMAX DMR versions of commercial Hollywood films are generally popular with audiences, with many people choosing to pay more than standard admission to see the IMAX version.

While IMAX DMR does deliver a better picture and sound it irks me how they take advantage of the movie going public by not being upfront about DMR treated films not being true IMAX.

Spiderman 3 was the first film we went see in "IMAX", I remember sitting there looking at black bars above and below the picture thinking what the hell, it doesn't fill the screen. I later did my homework and found out about DMR. We now know to ask at the theater if any of it is in true IMAX or not, (typically, most Hollywood releases will only have a few selected scenes in true IMAX, if at all.) Such was the case with TDK and is the case from the upcoming Transformers 2 in which only 3 scenes are true IMAX.