Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Star Trek XI Trailer

What are your impressions of Star Trek XI so far?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What are your impressions of Star Trek XI so far?

• It looks awesome! I'm ready now!
    • I guess it looks good.
    • I'm not too sure about all this "reboot" talk, we'll see.
    • I have no plans on seeing it.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

So what are your opinions of the new trailer?

Thoughts about the trailer- Looks great and I can see it attracting a new audience

Thoughts about the thread- It's already been posted twice

I'll wait to see the movie before passing judgement. So far it looks very exciting. Just a few problems with the ship and stuff

Thoughts about the trailer- Looks great and I can see it attracting a new audience

Where on the portal has it been posted before? The thread is asking for thoughts on the trailer. Not for thoughts on the thread.

Where on the portal has it been posted before? The thread is asking for thoughts on the trailer. Not for thoughts on the thread.

Alterego posted here: http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...c=58191&hl=

Capt_Picard: http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...c=58168&hl=

That's where on the portal it's been posted before. I also said that the trailer looks fantastic for both old fans and new comers to Trek.

Alterego posted here: http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...c=58191&hl=

Capt_Picard: http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...c=58168&hl=

That's where on the portal it's been posted before. I also said that the trailer looks fantastic for both old fans and new comers to Trek.

Excuse me but those are NOT the portal. Starfleet Command Database is the portal forum and neither of those threads are in Starfleet Command Database nor do either have a poll. If I want to have an official STF poll for a topic then I'll have a poll for it. If you don't want to post in this thread or vote in this poll then feel free to ignore it. :P

Those weren't portal threads Psy, this is on the portal.

We were posting at the same time again lol

Edited by RikerChick

Already they are rewriting Trek canon. Remember, Kirk didn't know how to operate a clutch in A Piece of the Action and now we see him driving a vintage automobile?

As a child no less. And Vintage is putting it mildly, that corvette would be about 300 years old.

It looks awesome! i'm ready now! for Trek XI Quinto does look pretty Good as a Young Spock (and why is the U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701 being Built on Earth and not in Utopia Plantia Yards)or least in Space the way The NX-O1 was (Archer's Ship a Century earlier?).

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

I guess I'll go with the first poll option, since I'm planning on seeing it regardless. Plus, I think it looks pretty cool.

and why is the U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701 being Built on Earth and not in Utopia Plantia Yards

Because that's where it's supposed to be built. According to the dedication plaque in TOS, the Enterprise was built in San Fransisco. (Utopia Planitia is on Mars... also on the surface).

I guess I'll go with the first poll option, since I'm planning on seeing it regardless. Plus, I think it looks pretty cool.

and why is the U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701 being Built on Earth and not in Utopia Plantia Yards

Because that's where it's supposed to be built. According to the dedication plaque in TOS, the Enterprise was built in San Fransisco. (Utopia Planitia is on Mars... also on the surface).

I voted "not too sure about the reboot stuff"

The San Fransisco Fleet Yards are in earth orbit. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/San_Francisco_Fleet_Yards

As are Utopia Planitia. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Federation_shipyards

Already they are rewriting Trek canon. Remember, Kirk didn't know how to operate a clutch in A Piece of the Action and now we see him driving a vintage automobile?

As a child no less. And Vintage is putting it mildly, that corvette would be about 300 years old.

Maybe the Corvette had "modern" equipment in it, like touch controls. Or maybe Kirk just doesn't know how to drive stick shift.

I voted "not too sure about the reboot stuff"

The San Fransisco Fleet Yards are in earth orbit. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/San_Francisco_Fleet_Yards

As are Utopia Planitia. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Federation_shipyards

Below is an image of Utopia Planitia shipyards, taken from the TNG episode "Parallels."

Utopia_Planitia.jpg

Does that look like it's in orbit?

If one shipyard can be on a planet surface, why not another?

Edited by I am the Wishfire

Maybe the Corvette had "modern" equipment in it, like touch controls. Or maybe Kirk just doesn't know how to drive stick shift.

From the trailer:

Shifting gears:

post-1-1227326994.jpg

Using the clutch:

post-1-1227326985.jpg

Below is an image of Utopia Planitia shipyards, taken from the TNG episode "Parallels."

Utopia_Planitia.jpg

Does that look like it's in orbit?

If one shipyard can be on a planet surface, why not another?

I notched the shot of it on the Earth's surface up to having a non-Trek fan rogue director directing the film.

Here's a couple pics of what the Star Trek Encyclopedia (written by Michael and Denise Okuda and Debbie Mirek) says about the shipyards (for whatever it's worth):

post-1-1227327010.jpg

post-1-1227327020.jpg

post-1-1227327029.jpg

I can't see any of those images. I get the message:

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

EDIT: Never mind, I can see them when replying to the post, but only reduced size images.

Edited by I am the Wishfire

I can't see any of those images. I get the message:

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

EDIT: Never mind, I can see them when replying to the post, but only reduced size images.

I re-posted the images, can you seen them better?

Yes, I can see them now.

I could've sworn that there's dialogue somewhere in TOS that the 1701 was built on Earth.

Also, all the other Enterprise dedication plaques that list location of construction say, specifically, in fleet yards, rather than just "San Fransisco."

1701: San Fransisco

1701-A (1): San Francisco, Calif. (That one implies even more-so that construction took place on the surface.)

1701-A (2): San Francisco Fleet Yards, Earth

1701-B: No location given

1701-C: Unknown

1701-D: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, Mars

1701-E: San Francisco Yards

From Memory Alpha.

I don't remember any specific reference in TOS to where the Enterprise was built. I would assume though that there would be a ground base for the orbital drydock and it would make sense that they would use the ground base as the "address".

I just wish they (Abrams) had paid more respect to canon. If they're going against canon as a story device, like a timeline out of skew that must be corrected then that might be cool (as long as they restore Trek history in the end). But if he's done these things out of ignorance or out of a lack of respect for canon/the fan base then this movie will likely fail when all is said and done and the fan base (or at least a large portion) will assign it to the same category as TAS, it's there but not canon and that would be a shame to have a major movie considered non-canon (meaning it doesn't exist in the Trek universe).

Nimoy has even said that he likes the movie and he is the keeper of the flame of Star Trek. That makes me think they haven't changed major things. I can stand changing little things like where the Enterprise was built. I don't remember a lot of little things and I've seen every episode of TOS and I can't remember the little details. I pray that this movie does well, the franchise is laying on its death bed and it doesn't need a flop now. Too much money is being put into this movie to see it flop. I can see it now, the studios will say that it is proof Star Trek is dead. This could be the end of Trek for a long time or at worst for good. The movie can't fail. I hope it does well, just to keep Trek alive if nothing else.

I voted "I guess it looks good". The cast looks great, but I'm a little concerned about possible "canon conflicts" (like young Kirk working a stick shift that older Kirk couldn't) that might be noticeable to serious Trek fans. I'm still looking forward to seeing it, and I think if the story and cast chemistry are good enough, "canon violations" could be mostly overlooked.

Nimoy has even said that he likes the movie and he is the keeper of the flame of Star Trek. That makes me think they haven't changed major things. I can stand changing little things like where the Enterprise was built. I don't remember a lot of little things and I've seen every episode of TOS and I can't remember the little details. I pray that this movie does well, the franchise is laying on its death bed and it doesn't need a flop now. Too much money is being put into this movie to see it flop. I can see it now, the studios will say that it is proof Star Trek is dead. This could be the end of Trek for a long time or at worst for good. The movie can't fail. I hope it does well, just to keep Trek alive if nothing else.

Where it was built is minor to me too and wouldn't bother me as much as having Kirk on Enterprise for it's maiden voyage in 2245 unless he's 12 years old and even then there may need to be some explination as to why Kirk is even on Earth in 2245. We know he lived on Tarsus IV and was a witness to the massacre ordered by Kodos the Executioner in 2246. Of course it could be said that he joined the colony after 2245, but if there's already documentation of him being part of the colony in 2245 when Enterprise launched then the movie just isn't canon in and of itself. It would exist outside the Trek universe, may as well have a Battlestar as part of the fleet and X Wing fighters in the shuttle bay for protection.

Like I said though, if it's all a timeline plot that is out of skew and gets corrected in the end then I can live with that and if that is the case then I'll begin looking forward to the movie again.

If there are some major canon errors in this movie I'll be very interested to see how the people that hated Enterprise react to it. The ones that were in a huff about the Borg and Ferengi being in Enterprise that is.

Like I said though, if it's all a timeline plot that is out of skew and gets corrected in the end then I can live with that and if that is the case then I'll begin looking forward to the movie again.

Click for Spoiler:

I think an alternate timeline is what we're dealing with. Based on spoilers, Nero travels back to kill Kirk before he was born by destroying the ship that Kirks parents are aboard (the U.S.S. Kelvin). He fails but Kirk's childhood is somewhat altered by the loss of his father. However, he does still inevitably joins Starfleet. Therefore, we have a second timeline that would deviate from what we know about the time immediately preceding TOS, mostly in regard to Kirk. However, in the long run, not much would change, especially in Nero's time (the late 24th century, presumably).

Therefore, Nero travels back again in an attempt to destroy Vulcan and more radically alter the timeline. This attack on Vulcan was never supposed to occur and brings the TOS crew together differently than in the original timeline. Now, Spock from Nero's timeframe travels back to prevent Nero from succeeding in destroying Vulcan (but presumably cannot prevent the earlier attack on the Kelvin). He'll be more or less attempting to perform damage control.

So I don't think the original timeline will be entirely restored but we'll get a new, fairly similar timeline that in the long run (i.e. by the 24th century) but the events surrounding the timeframe of TOS will be marginally different and give the writers of this movie and the possible sequels some leeway to tell new stories involving the TOS crew. Presuming of course there isn't some sort of predestination paradox in the works (I do highly doubt that possibility). The original timeline is also preserved in a sense because everything that happened before has to have happened if Nero wants to change it. It's very existence is his motivation for wanting to change it.

This isn't really my first choice either, but in the long run, I think its the best option. Star Trek needs to be re-launched with the characters that are strongest in the minds of the general public, the TOS crew, and the story needs to be accessible to someone who has never seen Star Trek before.

The fact of the matter is we need new Star Trek fans. The existing hardcore fans are now too small a market to be worth targeting (which is a big reason why Enterprise was cancelled, although not all Trek fans were watching Enterprise by the end). If this movie isn't a success, it's game over. Paramount is going to stop producing Star Trek movies or TV shows for the time being because it's not going to be financially viable. The best we'll be able to hope for is some direct-to-DVD movies and the novels. It could very well represent the end of the franchise and I think we can all agree that the message of Star Trek, a hopeful future for humanity, is too important to let die.

So while this may not be your first choice for a Star Trek movie you want to see, it may be your only choice if you ever want to see what you loved about Star Trek again (not to say this film won't have what you loved about Star Trek, it's kind of hard to know that without seeing it). I'm not saying that you absolutely have to see it, but there's a lot of time between now and May and it would be best to keep an open mind. Also, I'd just like to say that I'm not targeting VaBeachGuy specifically, even though I realize it may sound that way. I really mean this more as a commentary to the fandom in general.

As for the trailer itself, I like it. It looks big, and epic and exactly the kind of movie we need to reclaim Star Trek's spot on the pop culture landscape. It may not be exactly what the hardcore fanbase wants but catering to our whims is no longer an option. It may not be perfect but it's what we're getting and like I said, if it doesn't do well it could be the last thing we get for a very long time.

Click for Spoiler:
I just really don't like the idea of messing with the time-line and not correcting it back to what is already set as "history". Unless they have a really good way of making it all work so that TOS's time-line is still intact.

We have to assume that a major thing in Kirk's life was the 2246 massacre on Tarsus IV where he lived with his parents. If his parents are killed before 2246 and we see an underage Kirk of about 12 on Earth in a corvette then it looks like he won't be living on Tarsus IV to witness the massacre. That alone will change Kirk's personality to some degree and if he never lived on Tarsus IV then the TOS episode "The Conscience of the King" can't happen... but it did happen.

I really don't like this storyline at this point. If they don't have a way of setting things right then I don't think Trekdom will accept it and I don't care how many non-Trek fans they attract, if Trek Nation doesn't accept it then it will fail. That's the part that I fear Abrams, as a non-Trek fan doesn't understand. I fear that he's looking at this as a "stand alone" movie that doesn't have to pay attention to a history and doesn't have to worry about pissing off 80 million+ inhabitants of Trek Nation, possibly a lot more. I'm not sure what the worldwide count is.

You know me, I've never been one to be down on any Trek project. I may dislike an episode or two or a character here and there but all in all I get into pretty much anything that they put out. This one though has me concerned. Especially when they start saying things like "it has more of a Star Wars feel" or "reboot" and the director is out boasting about how he's never been a Trek fan. I'd really like to sit down with him in an unprepared interview and quiz him on Trek history.

Remember the TNG episode Tapestry? You pull 1 thread and unweave the tapestry that is your life. To me, it looks like Abrams is taking a handful of threads, tying them to the back of a corvette and speeding down the road. The tapestry that is Trek history is what will fall apart.

In fact imagine if Q had left Lt Picard as Lt. Picard in Tapestry. How many people would be upset by that alteration?

I'll keep an open mind toward the movie, but it's not looking promising at this point.

I am not impressed by this trailer at all. Imo, it seems like a revised version of a series and set of characters we have all come to love.There is only one actor capable of portraying James Tiberius Kirk and he's not even in this film :P I will see the film more out of curiosity than anything else, but I have many concerns about the future of Star Trek after watching the trailer.

I hope that the end result is far better than the trailer.

I've been concerned from the start that Abrams would reimagine Trek as an action move series. That's what I hated about Nemesis - action in dune buggies for action's sake and killing off a major character and one who focused on seeking the experince of humanity! Of course there has to be action in a sci Fi movie, but to me, TOS was always a commentary on current problems and challenges of the 20th century, and a look at how humans would react and perform in space. It was thoughtful and wasn't just a shoot'em up Space opera. It's positive tone was a breath of fresh air and encouragement that perhaps man can learn to work and play well together and focus on the betterment of all, not just greed and the subjegation of others.

I could care less about Kirk's childhood, but I'd love to see more background about Uhura, Scotty, Checkov, Sulu, McCoy, and of course Spock. And what about the Cage and The Menagerie, and Capt Pike and the crew with him?

A prequel was always disliked and opposed by original fans.

I want this movie to succeed, and not fail and kill the movie and TV franchise. I will see it, but the question is, will I and other fans see it multiple times.

Edited by trekz

I certainly hope what we are seeing is an alternate timeling that gets fixed by the end of the movie.