Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

William Shatner Can't Let Go Of His George Takei Grudge

William Shatner Can't Let Go of His George Takei Grudge

(Oct. 24) - William Shatner explains that he continues to have choice words for his former 'Star Trek' co-star George Takei only because his feelings are hurt.

"I wish he'd stop being mean to me," says Shatner in his latest video aimed at Takei.

The back and forth began when Shatner claimed that he was left off the guest list for Takei's wedding to longtime partner Brad Altman. The two wed in September, months before Prop 8 banning gay marriage was passed on Election Day.

Shatner told originally told his Youtube audience that the snub "makes me feel badly. The poor man, there is such a sickness there. It's so painfully obvious that there is a psychosis there."

Takei had then spoken to Entertainment Tonight about Shatner's viral video. "It is absolutely baffling to us because, in fact, we did invite Bill and we didn't hear from him," said Takei to ET. "But it wasn't surprising because it's true to his history. He's never responded to an invitation. Every time there was something happy to celebrate amongst us ... he never showed up."

Takei added: "He used the word psychotic against me? Well, I think his stability is quite questionable."

So now Shatner, in a sitdown interview with his daughter Liz, tries a new tact: civility. "I read his vows. They were very beautiful. He's found love in his life and that's wonderful."

But Shatner then says his nastier comments came from his own hurt feelings. "George has been mean to me for a long time. Decades and decades. Older than almost you are (referencing Liz). He's been mean to me in public and I've never said anything. But now with access to more people, he continues to be mean and I don't know why."

"I wouldn't expect him to invite me to a place where he wanted to be surrounded by love and he'd see my little red face poking out there and look at me and feel whatever enmity he feels for what reason I do not know. I wish him well for his love and his marriage. I wish he'd stop being mean to me."

Shatner then brings up a conversation he says he had with Takei on the set of a 'Trek' film where he claims Takei wanted to have his own starship.

Shatner also invites Takei on his talk show, 'Raw Nerve,' to discuss the matter further. We'll wait to see if Sulu now has any further words for his captain.

Shatner can deliver an effective perfomance as an actor (he's hilarious on Boston Legal). He can be a generous philanthropist (with his charity auctions, riding therapy etc.) But he has an enormous ego, is very self absorbed, and just can't admit that he acted like a jerk and prima donna on the TOS set.

Shatner is the one making himself look foolish and petty here imo!

Edited by trekz

Wow! IDK but I met Takei in person at the 2006 Con, Out in the hallway I spoke to him because he dropped some papers he had and I said something to him about it and he looked at me with a mean face, picked up the papers and didn't even say Thank you or nothing just mumbled something under his breath when I said "Your Welcome", So IMO Takei can be mean too.

I must say that it seems to me that Takei and a few of the other minor actors from TOS seem to hold a grudge on Shatner for acting like a leading man. However Shatner was the leading man! Apart from Spock, McCoy and Scotty, the others really were just minor characters up until The Motion Picture.

Very true!... TOS was not intended to be an ensemble cast with each charecter having their own plot lines and such like the later shows.. In fact, Sulu back then was no more important than Chief Obrien(@TNG), Nog or Kes

Edited by deagletime

Having just gone through the remastered TOS dvds, I noticed that there were a lot of episodes that Sulu wasn't even in. I think at least during the first two seasons, Lt. Hadley was at the helm just as many times as Sulu. There were actually very few times where Sulu and Chekov were at their stations at the same time. It was either Sulu and Lt. Hadley or Chekov and Lt. Hadley.

By the way did any of you know Takei was on the UK version of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here. I'm just waiting for something about this to be brought up!

Thats been in some of the Trek news updates posted here by Alterego. Apparently, it was some kind of "Survivor" type of thing?