Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I AM ANGRY WITH RICK BERMAN!

OK, he's done wonders with Trek, and side from the stupid catsuits, I've got no major complaints.

However...

Why the heck is this guy hirring people who DON'T KNOW ABOUT STAR TREK to write & direct it??? I once read that he didn't want people working on ENT to have seen any of TOS! WHAT THE CRAP???? I mean, WHY does he want people to not know about Trek when MAKING it? It doesn't make any sense!

Well, how do you all feel about this?

NOTE: This might explain ENT continuity errors...

I think you do need some people who have not seen that much or any ST to give it a fresh perspective and look. And in fact one good writer for TNG never seen any TOS and Gene wanted that to quote my phrase “to give it a fresh perspective and look”.

But of course you do need writers that have seen a lot of ST to keep it into continuity and be faithful to ST.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

in a way I can see the need to bring in fresh writers with new ideas. Just think about how much better the new Star Wars films would have been if Lucas let someone else handle them! But at the same time it is important for the writers to know what universe their working with. Especially since Enterprise takes place before TOS I think that the writers should at least be fermilier with that show.

As to what Patrick Stewert said about Berman in the article.. I like that Berman has made it a point to keep philosophicle ideas as a big part of Star Trek. That being said I don't think that his ideas are as uniqe or as bold as Rodenberry's were. I think Rick Berman has some good ideas and is currently in charge of the best new show on television. However compared to TOS, TNG, and even DS9 both Enterprise and Voyager seem a little watered down. I think I might start calling them "Safe Trek". What happened to the good old days when every week we heard the words "to BOLDLY go where no man has gone before."

I don't know.. Once you get used to the taste 'Diet Trek' really isn't bad at all...

Diet Trek.... I like that, it fits VOY to a tee imo.

The day may come when I would say the same for ENT if Bermans promise of a 'New Direction' for ENT does not meet the new expectations his statement brings for ENT.

I have supported Rick and I wish to continue supporting Rick but his greatest goal for me would be reenergize ENT to the degree it reunifies the fans and the rift between fans caused by ENT so far, could begin to heal.

Sorry, I afraid that I don't follow the trend of thinking Enterpise is rubbish. I have actually gone out and spend a lot of money on all the Enterprise tapes so far, the last time I collected so many was with TNG.

To be honest I think that its a good idea to get people who are not all too familar with Trek, although I would make the watch TOS, but only that series. The reason I say this is due to my belief that when you watch a show or write for that show, you become a part of it and it becomes a part of you, hence it can be hard to think of new ideas without thinking back to a previous story.

I think this idea of Bermans is all part of trying to create a new style for Trek which I think is needed, but if I were in his position I would be trying to balance new ideas with the style TOS plotting and general feel of script.

Anyway I am actually quite happy with Enterprise, but if I had to make some suggestings on how to make it better I would say:

1/ More Green Slave Girls doing their cool dancing :devil:

2/ More simplistic alien makeup i.e. not so many aliens with loads of ridges on their heads, lets go back to old Trek and just have normal people in different colours or someone in a monster costume.

3/ Lots more deaths in the lower ranks (feeling a bit bloodthirsty today!)

4/ More transporter accidents, and I say this because the transporter is meant to be a new thing on the show yet we have not had many stories about it going wrong

5/ The basis of the show should be around the four main characters i.e. Archer, T'Pol, Tucker and Reed.

6/ Get rid of Mayweather simply because I think his character is dull as ditchwater.

7/ Some more cloud creatures, robot creatures, brain sucking creatures ... the list goes on and on

8/ Seeing as we have a developed future for the ST universe, why not use it and have a story where a ship from the future is found then goes back to the future

9/ Have some sort of time loop or something like that so that the events of the series never happened, therefore no continuity problems!

See, problems all sorted!