Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Scotty's Missing Digit

This Little Piggy...  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should Doohan's Missing Finger Been Part of Scotty's Story?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

He lost the middle finger on his right hand during the WW2 Invasion of Juno Beach on D-Day. I couldn't find a picture, but I've seen the pictures before in the past. That is why you never see Scotty's right hand on the show. It is usually hidden by the arm of the Captain's chair and such.

I say 'kept it hidden'. Nowadays, if TOS was being produced, there may be a story ; however 40+ years ago this wasn't the case in Hollywood. Besides, keeping it hidden is kind of a neat trivia item (and obviously a surprise to many fans that didn't know about it) regarding our beloved chief engineer imo. :clap:

I vote no. If they had made some story point of his missing digit it would have become canon and now Trek purists would be saying Simon Pegg should have cut off a finger in order to play Scotty.

I'm shocked that there's people that didn't know about that. I thought everyone knew that.

Your best view is in "Relics" I believe, I'll try to pop that DVD in later tonight and get a screen cap. But in the meantime here's a TOS screen cap where you can see that he's missing a finger.

post-1-1224481255.jpg

They could always say that he got his hand caught in a...........mechanical rice picker....... :congrats:

There would be a way to do it with a new actor without cutting his finger off if they had made it "canon". With a blue or green finger sleeve the new actor's finger could be digitally removed.

Of course they didn't make it part of the series so they don't have to worry about it, but if they had I don't believe it would have really been too big of an issue to keep the character true to canon.

They can create whole characters (Jar Jar Binks) with computers so removing a finger should be easy.

i didnt know he was missing a finger either they did a really good job, and i think they did the right thing cause an actor is supposed to fight into a role not the role to the actor thats the point so if it wasnt originally part of it why add it, although they probably could have come up with something really creative too which might have been very entertaining