Sign in to follow this  
star_rose

Premiere of TNG

it was on 28th September 1987 that there was the premiere of TNG on TV!

happy birthday, TNG!

Edited by star_rose

You know, I soooo much want to travel back in time and witness this moment. I mean I was 4 years old back then and not exactly interested in Star Trek...

But then, I guess if I had been a die-hard TOS fan back then, I'd have screamed in agony at the idea of an old bald guy who actually happens to THINK before he gives the order to fire phasers... :thumbs::RC:

This is the kind of thing that makes us old. By the way I did come to like the old bald guy and the show.

Yeah, I feel kinda old as well now. But then, I always feel old. :RC::thumbs: And yeah. I like the old bald guy and the show as well. (This was probably the understatement of the year. *cough*)

This is the kind of thing that makes us old. By the way I did come to like the old bald guy and the show.

Yeah, I feel kinda old as well now. But then, I always feel old. :thumbs::jaw: And yeah. I like the old bald guy and the show as well. (This was probably the understatement of the year. *cough*)

No, not the year. How about a decade or longer! :RC:

Yeah, I feel kinda old as well now. But then, I always feel old. :jaw::laugh: And yeah. I like the old bald guy and the show as well. (This was probably the understatement of the year. *cough*)

No, not the year. How about a decade or longer! :RC:

:thumbs:

I know, I know! I admit it, I'm obsessed! ;)

I bought my first Tv set -one I didn't have to share time with-in those days.And I AM gettin' old...creak. I was thrilled to see a new Trek in town, and, though my favorites have altered since, to some degree, I never missed an ep..and there were many fine ones. Albeit late, congrats to all the gang from TNG established an indelible mark in the annals of Gene's universe.

You know, I soooo much want to travel back in time and witness this moment. I mean I was 4 years old back then and not exactly interested in Star Trek...

But then, I guess if I had been a die-hard TOS fan back then, I'd have screamed in agony at the idea of an old bald guy who actually happens to THINK before he gives the order to fire phasers... :cheers::congrats:

In all fairness to Kirk and TOS he did his fair share of thinking before firing back then lol But in 1987 when TNG came out, from what I can remember, Picard wasn't exactly a fan favorite. From my memory, he was thought of as too passive in the first few shows. Almost timid when it came to reacting to Q in the first episode.

But then, I guess if I had been a die-hard TOS fan back then, I'd have screamed in agony at the idea of an old bald guy who actually happens to THINK before he gives the order to fire phasers... :cheers::congrats:

In all fairness to Kirk and TOS he did his fair share of thinking before firing back then lol But in 1987 when TNG came out, from what I can remember, Picard wasn't exactly a fan favorite. From my memory, he was thought of as too passive in the first few shows. Almost timid when it came to reacting to Q in the first episode.

Makes you wonder if anyone at that point in 1987 believed that the series would go seven years and end up with Q still messing with the crew and with Picard's mind?

Makes you wonder if anyone at that point in 1987 believed that the series would go seven years and end up with Q still messing with the crew and with Picard's mind?

Oh, I can tell you that in my house after the first few episodes we didn't think it'd last. We liked it for the most part, but with those early episodes we just didn't think it'd make it past the originals 79 episodes.

I went into the Army about 11 days after the first season ended and missed the second and third seasons completely (I might have caught a few of the third season while I was at Fort Hood in Texas but probably not a whole lot of episodes).

By the time I was able to pick back up in the 4th season it was well established and on a roll.

It was surprising at the time that, in contrast to TOS, TNG started slow and then really improved with the third season. I agree that the first few eps weren't that compelling. Naked Now seemed too soon to have a spin off ep of TOS, Code of Honor was OK, and the Ferengi in The Last Outpost were lame. Season 1 had it's moments with Battle, Hide & Q, DataLore, The Big Goodbye and Heart of Glory.

Season 2 had great eps in Emisary, Matter of Honor, Measure of a Man and Q Who, but was hurt as I recall by the writers strike and the need to do bottle shows like the awful Shades of Gray.

Season 3 got going with Booby Trap, Deja Q, then hit it's stride with Yesterday's Enterprise, Sin's of the Father, Hollow Pursuits, and hit warp speed with Sarek and Best of Both World's Part I - one of the best cliff hanger season ending eps EVER imo.

It was surprising at the time that, in contrast to TOS, TNG started slow and then really improved with the third season. I agree that the first few eps weren't that compelling. Naked Now seemed too soon to have a spin off ep of TOS, Code of Honor was OK, and the Ferengi in The Last Outpost were lame. Season 1 had it's moments with Battle, Hide & Q, DataLore, The Big Goodbye and Heart of Glory.

Season 2 had great eps in Emisary, Matter of Honor, Measure of a Man and Q Who, but was hurt as I recall by the writers strike and the need to do bottle shows like the awful Shades of Gray.

Season 3 got going with Booby Trap, Deja Q, then hit it's stride with Yesterday's Enterprise, Sin's of the Father, Hollow Pursuits, and hit warp speed with Sarek and Best of Both World's Part I - one of the best cliff hanger season ending eps EVER imo.

Yeah, Armin Shimerman always regretted his performance in The Last Outpost and was grateful that he got to be Quark so he could do right by the Ferengi lol

I started watching TNG from the end of Season 5 onwards on BBC2 terrestrial tv. I bought the TNG Companion about a year later and really enjoyed reading about the episodes i had watched, the episodes i was yet to see, and more importantly - the episodes which i had missed and could look forward to seeing in future re-runs (in particular The Best of Both Worlds)! I loved reading about the gossip behind the scenes and why matters were why they were. In any event, i digress ...

I saw the Pilot Episode after the Finale 'All Good Things'. I think it ran on BBC2 the very next week after that. I was surprised at the poor quality storyline (Roddenberry no doubt, idiot). The effects were okay i suppose. I nearly fainted when i saw the Enterprise D separate into two ships. Never saw that before - that was good. The uniforms were naff. Troi's accent was thick - she looked and sounded like an Eastern European air stewardess. Riker looked like someone else. I didn't like Yar. Data was annoying. Crusher was super-annoying. The bridge of the Enterprise was a bit brown.

I suppose as the show developed over the seven years it ran on tv, the characters developed to a high standard as did the storylines, effects, and the Star Trek TNG universe as a whole. Season one creaked of growing pains as did Season 2. Since i was used to the better quality fully grown TNG of Seasons 5, 6 and 7, that was what i was used to. It was not until i started watching Season 3 of the re-runs that i started to see the TNG i was familiar with and when Season 4 came on, it had come full circle for me.

Roddenbery deserves credit for his vision, but as a writer he sucked. Star Trek, movies and TV, didn't get good until creative control was taken from him.

I agree. Yes, he was the great bird of the galaxy etc. But he wasn't too quick to allow others to take any credit for their input which you can read alll about in the various bitter biographies and behind the scenes literature out there. I wouldn't belive all of what has been levied at him but when you put it all together ot paints a picture of a big kid whose writing skills were limited to a few themes. I recall reading about his plans for a Star Trek movie where the crew go back in time and are present at the Kennedy assasination. ;) Droll. I think that idea was batted about time and time again.

The Klingons were tamed by the time of TNG and the later TOS movies. To the point where we had one in a red spandex Season 1 style uniform and others in s&m gear having dinner parties with Kirk etc. :rofl: They were no real threat. Indeed, had the events of Star Trek 6 been anything to go by, the Kingons were pretty much ban-jaxed. New threats were needed. Season 1 of TNG had the disastrous Ferengi (which were later salvaged for comic effect) those Comspiracy alien things which were a bit darker than what came before. Heaven fobid a Star Fleet officer should EVER have a nasty bone in his body or perverted thought in his head. However, with the departure of Roddenberry the road was opened up to the development of the Borg, The Macquis, Section 21 or 48 or whatever it was called (no-one correct me! you know what i mean lol) etc etc.

Roddenberry lit some twigs which grew to a bush fire. Fans lthen 'fanned' :rofl: the flames over the years. However, those than came after him pumped fuel into that fire and kept it burning bigger and brighter than it ever would have solely under Roddenberry's control.

Roddenbery deserves credit for his vision, but as a writer he sucked. Star Trek, movies and TV, didn't get good until creative control was taken from him.

Correct, but Star Trek as we know it was still because of him.