Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

(S) Thoughts on Extinction

Did you notice...

Click for Spoiler:

-"Star Trek: Enterprise" in the opening? (I'm sure everyone did, it stuck out like a sore thumb)

Click for Spoiler:

-T'pol eating with her hands and that her nose is still sensitive? (I know she ate the popcorn but this was more pronounced)

Click for Spoiler:

-Hoshi was a little tougher? (she saw a body and her voice barely quivered. Very different from two years ago)

Click for Spoiler:

-The internal mutation effect on Archer? (That was beautiful, great effect)

Click for Spoiler:

-Travis was in charge for a while and had quite a few lines? (Not bad, and Hoshi was busy too)

Click for Spoiler:

-How easily those decon agents turned on their own man? (Very callous but demonstrates how their race is determined to preserve itself from the virus. That virus must have really hurt their planet.)

Click for Spoiler:

-"In Memory of John Fleck" screen? (A nice touch, wasn't expecting it)

Click for Spoiler:

All in all a good ep. Fairly well written. Well acted, when I first saw the production report I didn't think Bakula could pull it off but he did a great job. It was so different from Archer I almost thought it was another actor. Park and Keating also did a good job but Jolene seemed to be lacking something in her performance but maybe that's just me. The make-up( I thought Hoshi looked really good in the Lo'kek make-up) and effects were great and of course, two new entries on the manifest: Palmer, and that Com Officer who took Hoshi's spot.

I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence with the "did you notice" thing. I'm just trying to highlight what I thought was interesting. I respect everyone on these boards for being so open and accepting. Way nicer than over at StarTrek.com. Also, I would mind doing this for every episode I can. Would anyone object to that? I don't want to waste board space but if you feel it is okay I'd be glad to. I take notes during the eps, just stuff I find cool.

Yeah, feel free to continue with the "did you notice..." things. I would sugest not putting them into a large array of spoilers. Just a little too much clicking for my likeing. Good observations! Scotts acting was VERY convincing. I think he is a talented actor. I also find that Archer is alot different from his old tv role of Sam Becket. He will never by type casted by me!

continue with these "did you notice" things. they are quite interesting. and i liked the spoilers. it looked cool. but thats just me. lol.

i also thought ALL of the actors to be different people in the make-up. i had to check to make sure! lol.

I thought that the ep. was well writen and the actors being able to play something else other than their char. but to me this show was like the writers ran out of ideas and this idea came at the last minute.

:blink: I third keeping the "did you notice" going..since no one bothers joining me on the chat afterwards this is my only outlet to discuss enterprise..very well done ep..out of all the treks that have "mutated" this one was the best seconded my Tng's

I am glad you (Jack Bauer) pointed out some of those things, because while I noticed some things, I did not notice others. For example, I did not think about T'Pol so casually eating with her hands. But like you said, it is more pronounced here than in the episode where she ate popcorn, because Trip was also talking about her sense of smell. It causes viewers to refer back to when we first met her, where she made comments about Vulcans not eating with their hands. I see this now. But I missed it while I was watching. (I also missed Star Trek : Enterprise in the opening!)

I come to these boards because I love Star Trek, and there are people here who know so much more about Star Trek than me, or are more observant, that I am bound to learn something new. I come to read comments like yours and say, " Oh, now that you point that out....yeah, I see!"

And folks are civil.

Stardate:213732.9

I agree with contiuning the "Did you notice"Good idea.I also did not noitce about T'pol eating with her hands.

I want to through one in there as well

Did You Notice-

Click for Spoiler:

When Trip took his shoes off he wasnt wearing socks???Do they not wear socks anymore or what?

Very enjoyable episode..Cool seeing Archer, Hoshi and Reed like that!..I thought the actors did a great job with it..I too enjoy this 'Did you notice' post..And I didn't notice T'Pol eating with her hands at the time..I was also glad that Travis and Hoshi were more involved in this episode..

thanks for your support. Sorry about all the spoilers, the new spoiler button makes them hard to group together but I'll have it worked out for my future "Did you notice..." feature. Glad you like it.

Wow! What an excellent episode! I had been disappointed with this one since it's first airing. I had considered it "filler" which, was taking away from the hunt of the Xindi but after seeing it again today (dubbed off commercials) I must say this was a fine example of Trek and it's great to know we will still be treated to pre-new direction types of episodes.

Click for Spoiler:

I recoiled in horror at the brutality of the hunters; the screams of them incinerated still haunt my soul.

The interplay between Archer and Hoshi was marvelous, they would get close to each other when speaking, smelling and feeling each other's breath on their faces.

The conflict for food between Archer and Reed and the eventual sharing of it spoke volumes for the complexities of the mutagen, it cause's both competitor-ship and co-operation for survival, fascinating. And Hoshi, she was clearly confused about T'pol, I wonder and would loved to have seen how two fully infected females would have interacted but thank goodness for Vulcan's and their famed immunity to most everything strange in the galaxy.

How about the species that were the hunters? Cool to finally see a civilization living with-in the Expanse other than pirates, their presence really broadened the scope of the Expanse imo.

T'pol eating with her hands was logical, she was trying to attain a greater level of trust with them. Perhaps shoes of the future have re-movable re-washable liners replacing socks. I have only one un-resolved fault with the episode; The Enterprise sensors were able to track the away team from orbit but when they went to the surface, the tri-corders could not locate Archer six feet away.

My final score for Extinction: 9.

Continue to use the Spoilers but perhaps you could put all the info into one.

The "Did You Notice ?" post is great. This will make us more aware of the subtle details. Please continue with each ep.

I noticed most of the things you mentioned, but I'll have to re-watch for the few I didn't!

Very good idea this thread, please go on!!!

I was able to see "The extinction" yesterday and I really loved it. I noticed all the things except what was mentioned from T'Pol.

As to me Scott Bakula did a really great job, he was incredible!!!! And I also loved the end. For stories / endings like this that is why I am a Star Trek fan for so long.