Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Reality

Not really new

Wow, this place looks a LOT different from when I was last here, about two years ago. I'm sure a lot's changed.

To introduce myself, my name up here is Dark Reality, and I've been Dark Reality since 1992, even before I got online. (I intended to write a novel and use what we now call a username or handle as a pseudonym. To think outside the box, y'know.) My real name's Nathan. I work with computers (as a hobby) and drive (also as a hobby). I was born and raised in Santa Rosa, CA, but met a woman online, flew to NC to meet her, she visited me, I visited once more, and a year after my first visit I packed everything in my car and drove 3,200 miles to live with her. And a year after her first visit to CA (as an adult, ironically she was born in Southern California and relocated to the East Coast as an infant) I proposed to her, and 14 months after my second visit, we were married, and we've been married over 2 years now and still going strong.

As it relates to Trek, I've been a fan since I was a kid. My dad would watch TNG religiously when it came on (first run episodes). My first interaction with the show was laughing at a character named Wart, relating the show to Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES. (My dad informed me that the character's name is WORF. And Worf's still among my favorite characters.) Then my best friend got into it, and I remember watching "All Good Things" together. I've seen every movie since The Undiscovered Country in the theaters, and even though I have mixed reactions to Trek 11, I'll still see it in the theater. I can point to a lot of entertainment franchises I like, but none I can think of that I enjoy more than Star Trek.

As it relates to this site, I met this board's founder on the customer message board for Invision, the company that makes the forum software. I saw he had a Star Trek board, so I registered an account. When I came here my favorite series was Voyager, but VaBeachGuy helped me see the light, and I'm now a proud Niner. I'd seen all of Voyager and DS9 all the way through on my own, but my wife showed interest, and now I've seen both series all the way through TWICE. (And her, once.) We just started Enterprise, so please post no spoilers about it.

Speaking of Invision, I haven't used the platform in AGES. I see they've changed a few things. Long story short, I was voluntarily exiled to GameFAQs for a couple years, as for that time all I could get was crappy dialup, being out in the boonies, and Invision and other modern forum platforms would take ages to load. This summer though, we got broadband, and I can actually post on modern forums just as quickly as I can post on text-based ones. But I've learned a lot in forum hell - how to mod my Nintendo DS, and things about my favorite computer game (Deus Ex) I never knew about, so it wasn't all bad.

But enough about my lame... oh yeah, I forget, y'all don't allow cursing up here. Well you get the idea. What's been up? If you remember me, shout out; if not, say hey anyway.

Welcome back! I do remember your posts, and hope you rejoin in the discussions, and start some yourself!