Star Trek: The Animated Series

Star Trek: The Animated Series

#1 Beyond The Farthest Star

Directed by: Hal Sutherland

Airdate: Sept. 8, 1973

Stardate: 5221.3

BFS07.jpg

Synopsis

Kirk and crew beam aboard a huge derelict starship from an insect race, and learn that the ship's crew self-destructed rather than carry a still-living malevolent entity to other worlds.

Voice Credits:

BFS06.jpg

Regular Characters:

Captain Kirk William Shatner

Mr. Spock Leonard Nimoy

Dr. McCoy DeForest Kelley

Scotty James Doohan

Lieutenent Sulu George Takei

Lieutenent Uhura Nichelle Nichols

BFS04.jpg

Guest Characters:

Transporter Chief Kyle James Doohan

Pod Ship James Doohan

Malignant alien James Doohan

BFS05.jpg

Notes:

This was the first episode of the animated series and first aired on September 8, 1973, exactly seven years to day that the first episode of the original series aired.

"Beyond the Farthest Star" featured the first appearance of the second exit on the Enterprise's bridge.

This episode's author Samuel Peeples previously wrote "Where No Man Has Gone Before", the second pilot for the original STAR TREK series. Samuel Peeples later became a writer on "Space Academy" which was a half-hour live-action series produced by Filmation which aired in 1977. He later became the story editor on "Jason of Star Command" a live-action spin-off of "Space Academy." James Doohan was a regular in "Jason of Star Command", playing Commander Canarvan. The series was produced by Filmation, and aired in 1978 and 1979.

The huge pod spaceship featured in the episode would have been cost prohibitive to do in a live action series.

Transporter Chief Kyle appeared in this episode sporting a mustache. Lieutenant Kyle was first seen in the Original Series episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and was portrayed by John Winston in ten original series episodes.

In this episode the bridge defense system was seen and played a major part in the story. This system would have been cost prohibitive to do in a live action series.

This episode's stardate was listed incorrectly as 5521.3 in every published episode guide to the animated series, starting with Bjo Trimble's STAR TREK Concordance.

The "slingshot effect" was used in this episode.

A Limited Edition Collectors Cel inspired by this episode was once available from Tuttle Enterprises. The cel was number ST-16.

A VHS video tape containing "Beyond the Farthest Star" and "Yesteryear" is available for purchase from amazon.com, the online bookseller.

"Beyond the Farthest Star" was novelized by Alan Dean Foster in Star Trek Log One published by Ballantine Books in June 1974. Also novelized in the book was "Yesteryear" and "One of Our Planets Is Missing".

BFS09.jpg

BFS03.jpg

I remember this episode. I think it was very well written. I taped it when it was shown on TV land years ago. The animation was very well done for the era. It's a shame the this series isn't considered canon. I would love to have these on DVD.

Edited by Admiral Kirk

I remember this episode. I think it was very well written.  I taped it when it was shown on TV land years ago.  The animation was very well done for the era.  It's a shame the this series isn't considered canon.  I would love to have these on DVD.

It's only the fans who judge them to be canon or not.

Too bad I wasn't alive to see those...

Aren't you alive now? :laugh: What's stopping from seeing them now?