Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LtNelson

First post... and a rant!

Yep.. I've been lurking for a few days but only now felt like posting a thread!

I was watching the VOY episode "In The Flesh" and noticed the digital cameras they were using. What bulky devices! I glanced at my compact digital camera which is about the size of the "future" camera's handle!

It struck me that STV isn't that old... yet technology in the real world has been transforming so quickly that the creators of this show couldn't anticipate its direction. The laptops that Janeway uses look so chunky. Again, my Macbook Pro looks far more futuristic. The iPhone seems to be more advanced than their electronic notebooks.

Of course, we don't have solid holograms, warp drives or transporter technology. But it is often the simpler, everyday, hand held technologies that ultimately 'age' a show. STV is still very believeable. I love it. But its the small things that remind you that the future reality may be far more exciting than what we see on TV!

Anyway... that was my first thought on here as a newbie! Feel free to move or copy this post to the most appropriate forum. I'm not sure what that might be!

-Nel

Interesting thought, LtNelson and so very true! Welcome to the Forum! I look forward to reading your posts!

Nice to have you on board! And yes, I always pondered that exact problem, too...but remember that the camera they're using is a holographic imager. It takes a record of everything that it can 'see' and on top of that adds in the back side of everything as well, so that when you bring it up in a holo-projector you can walk all the way around the people and objects that the picture's of. Also remember it does this on pretty much a microscopic level...so it may just have to be that big for its purposes.

Yep.. I've been lurking for a few days but only now felt like posting a thread!

I was watching the VOY episode "In The Flesh" and noticed the digital cameras they were using. What bulky devices! I glanced at my compact digital camera which is about the size of the "future" camera's handle!

It struck me that STV isn't that old... yet technology in the real world has been transforming so quickly that the creators of this show couldn't anticipate its direction. The laptops that Janeway uses look so chunky. Again, my Macbook Pro looks far more futuristic. The iPhone seems to be more advanced than their electronic notebooks.

Of course, we don't have solid holograms, warp drives or transporter technology. But it is often the simpler, everyday, hand held technologies that ultimately 'age' a show. STV is still very believeable. I love it. But its the small things that remind you that the future reality may be far more exciting than what we see on TV!

Anyway... that was my first thought on here as a newbie! Feel free to move or copy this post to the most appropriate forum. I'm not sure what that might be!

-Nel

Welcome to the board Nelson, I'm Kevin. Good observation about the camera, one thing to consider though is that the camera that you see there isn't just a digital camera. It's a holo-imager, which must record much more data than a typical camera because it's images must be able to convert to holographic images. Now in reality if such a device was possible in that time in the future, it may well be a lot smaller than what we see in the episode. But considering what the camera is supposed to be able to do I think the hand held size that we see there is pretty ambitious for 1998 when the show aired.

Anyway, it's interesting to look at it and think about what an actual holo-camera might look like in the future and again welcome to the baord!