Sign in to follow this  
Eratosthenes

StarTrekFans.NET Star Trek Online Fleet

STF's STO Fleet  

31 members have voted

1. 1. First, are you going to buy Star Trek Online?

• YES! Of Course!
    • I may buy it, but not on opening day.
    • I'm on the fence.
    • I probably won't.
    • Definitely not.
  2. 2. Would you join a STF.net Fleet?

• Sure! Sign me up now! I'll even help expand it!
    • Sign me up.
    • Maybe...
    • The stars tell me "No."
    • Certainly not!
  3. 3. Bonus: With which force(s) will your character(s) be associated?

• Federation
    • Klingon
    • Dominion
    • Romulan

Well, as you may now know, fleets are springing up like crazy since they revealed that fleets may very well be needed in-game for Star Trek Online (just like clans in WoW) and since we've already got such a great community here, I wondered who might want to expand that int this game, which will have a LOT more staying power than any online Trek game before it (if only because it's an MMORPG).

Since I made this poll, my vote is obvious. What are your thoughts?

I would jump at the chance, but I have pretty much sucked at any game I've tried. I'll have to wait and see how much skill one needs.

I've been watching the presentation and doesn't he say that at first there would be only two forces, Federation and Klingon?

I might join star trek online fleet but of course I am going to buy the star trek online game first then i will join the stf star trek online fleet

If... I were single

If... I didn't have three children

I would love to. I would show you guys how to run some online Star Trek RPG characters! :)

Unfortunately I just don't see me having the free time being a good little buzzzzzzzzy Mommy/Wifey. :shocked:

It sure does sound like great fun though. :shocked:

Unfortunately I just don't see me having the free time being a good little buzzzzzzzzy Mommy/Wifey. :)

One of the questions asked at the presentation in Las Vegas related to this issue. Somebody asked if you could play the game using your brains and be able to compete with 15 year olds who spend 80 hours a week on the game. The speaker (from Cryptic) indicated that would be possible and the game was geared toward all ages.

I would jump at the chance, but I have pretty much sucked at any game I've tried. I'll have to wait and see how much skill one needs.

I've been watching the presentation and doesn't he say that at first there would be only two forces, Federation and Klingon?

Yeah he did say that, but seeing as how people are recruitingfor all four factions on the official site already, I thought I'd include all four.

I might join star trek online fleet but of course I am going to buy the star trek online game first then i will join the stf star trek online fleet

Great!

If... I were single

If... I didn't have three children

I would love to. I would show you guys how to run some online Star Trek RPG characters! :)

Unfortunately I just don't see me having the free time being a good little buzzzzzzzzy Mommy/Wifey. :shocked:

It sure does sound like great fun though. :clap:

Aww, you'll be in our thoughts!

One of the questions asked at the presentation in Las Vegas related to this issue. Somebody asked if you could play the game using your brains and be able to compete with 15 year olds who spend 80 hours a week on the game. The speaker (from Cryptic) indicated that would be possible and the game was geared toward all ages.

You took the words out of my mouth. He DID say that parents would be able to sit down for an hour at night and play it and have fun doing so.

I haven't looked into it at all so I have no idea what's involved but the idea of a site fleet sounds great.

I'm glad you approve!

The premise is that every character starts as captain of a ship. Now, that's not to say they start out with the RANK of captain or that their ship is of any formidable size, but you do start out in control of one nonetheless. Your entire crew (every member it sounds like) is customizeable (and computer controlled) and depending on the races of the specific crew members (and yourself) you get certain bonuses. Your personal ship is fully customizeable within limits of the ship's basic design, and you can upgrade to bigger and better ships over time.

Gameplay takes place both in space flying the ship, aboard the ship itself (you can TOUR THE WHOLE SHIP!!!!! INCLUDING HOLODECKS!), and down on the planets. Your own character is fully customizeable for weight, height, age, any species (there's even a 'New Species' feature in case you're trying to make a species that's never been seen in canon), any gender, etc.

On away missions you can take your whole crew, a specialized team, just yourself, or beam down with several other captains (ie. real people) and interact.

They developers are viewing ALL episodes and movies as absolute law. Canon will not be broken. They're also reading almost every book for inspiration and using that as soft canon (and you'll see lots of cameos...like the IKS Gorkon will make appearances even though it's only ever appeared in its book series).

The game is set 30 years after Nemesis and the Klingons and Federation are again at odds (this is mainly to allow player versus player combat...because obviously there won't be any Federation vs. Federation battles) and later the Dominion and Romulan forces will enter as playable militaries (but recall that any individual species can be made you character).

Also, just like any MMORPG, you'll be given quests to complete. In this case, you're getting mission assignments from Stafleet Headquarters. These can be vague or incredibly specific. Some will be computer generated and some will be human-devised. To keep it fresh Cryptic will be making sure new things happen all the time (like a Borg invasion, a supernova, you name it).

That help? :punk:

Edit: excuse the typos...my keyboard is literally dying.

Edited by Eratosthenes

yep, definitely planning to get this and I would enjoy playing the game with you guys. The only downside I can see is that we all have different time schedules since we are all around the world. Someone take the nightshift! lol.

I am definitely going to be the Federation

Edited by TheKryptonian

yep, definitely planning to get this and I would enjoy playing the game with you guys. The only downside I can see is that we all have different time schedules since we are all around the world. Someone take the nightshift! lol.

I am definitely going to be the Federation

Great! Glad to see people saying yes. We have 5 definites for buying and 6 for joining the fleet, and several more possibles already. (I'm Federation, too, by the way.)

I'm on the fence - and boy does my butt hurt!

I don't know much about it, bot it could be fun.

You'll probably like it. I think any Trek fan will at least appreciate/enjoy it. Read what I said 2 posts ago to VBG. That'll give you a good summary. If you go to their website and watch the trailer for the game, the whole thing was made with in-game graphics (the developers played the game and recorded it directly, without any alterations other than the missing menu and display items), so that will give you an accurate idea of what the game will look like (minus the viedo compression. :-P)

Edited by Eratosthenes

Eratosthenes - excuse my ignorance in such matters, but how are games such as this paid for by the consumer? Do you buy a copy of the game for a particular platform (PSP, PC, etc.) and then get charged as you go for online play? I know the guy in the presentation kept referring to "getting your credit card" (half jokingly), but do you get charged for time, or how far advanced you go in the game...or what? I'm a little confused about this having never done anything like this before.

Yeah, I know, I'm really dumb. Sorry. :)

There's a big difference between lacking knowledge and lacking intelligence. :superhappy:

Every game does this differently, but from what it sounds like, they're going to follow the same financial formula as World of Warcraft, which is the most succesful game of its type (MMORPG*) on the market and has millions of daily users. This means that you have to buy the game (STO will only be for the PC) at a price lower than PC games usually debut, and then you will be charged a monthly fee for your subscription. They may give you the option to pay by the year or other amounts of time...I'm not sure.

The reason they have to do this is that games such as this require the company that made the game to keep a central server online around the clock. Keeping it on costs enough in electricity, but having a full staff to maintain it and keep the game going costs even more. With games such as World of Warcraft and Star Trek Online, the content (story, items, statistics, missions, etc.) is constantly updated and tweaked by the staff, to keep the game interesting and fresh. This obviously costs a bit, as well.

While some MMORPG-style games have opted to not charge for subscriptions, they have generally failed in the market, primarily because they couldn't afford to do what I mentioned above (keep it fresh, online, and so on.)

On the Cryptic website, they're awarding 5 lifetime memberships in a sweepstakes they're holding (it ends soon). They estimated the value of a lifetime membership to be about $550 total, including the game. While a lifetime membership will obviously not expire, it's fair to extrapolate that out to about five years, in which case the monthly cost of playing the game would likely fall around $8.67 US per month, assuming the game costs $30.

That help?

--------------------------------------------------

*MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

Edited by Eratosthenes

First, are you going to buy Star Trek Online?

I voted..I'm on the fence coz i dont know what it will cost and well i kinda like getting games for *cough* free but mabe its worth buying a real copy.

Would you join a STF.net Fleet?

I voted..Sure! Sign me up now! I'll even help expand it!...every fleet needs a bad boy..lo9l

Bonus: With which force(s) will your character(s) be associated?

I voted...Federation..i am getting to old to be drinking blood wine and getting into fights so no more klingon for hangon..lol that sounds funny.

Well, I have just been informed by my oldest daughter (whose boyfriend works for Cryptic) that my computer will very likely not run the game. :hand: So unless I majorly upgrade or get a new computer, I guess you can count me out. :laugh:

I can try. :hand: Is that the stuff listed under System Properties? I know I have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and 1 GB RAM. I'm not sure about hard drive and video card. I would almost certainly need to upgrade the video card because I remember we got just the very minimum because none of us played games that much.

I can try. :hand: Is that the stuff listed under System Properties? I know I have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and 1 GB RAM. I'm not sure about hard drive and video card. I would almost certainly need to upgrade the video card because I remember we got just the very minimum because none of us played games that much.

That's the biggest problem with gaming, they advance so quickly that even some computers that are less than 2 years old need upgrades in order to run them.

I'm kinda on the fence about buying this now. I hope the game will have more 3rd Person style gameplay where you actually play characters and not just ships. If it is mainly ships, I won't get this. I'm so tired of Star Trek ship games. I would probably get Stargate Worlds instead.

Okay so we have 10 for buying it, 9 for maybe, then 13 for joining the fleet and 9 more for maybe for that! Looking great so far!

A side note: It may well behoove us to form both Federation and Klingon fleets. I think this trend of favoring Starfleet is fairly universal...which means that as far as the Klingon to Starfleet ratio is concerned, there's a much higher probability of a Klingon player being able to move up in rank and power than a Federation ship...if only because there's 10 federation ships for every 1 Klingon ship (ie. more to shoot at and gain experience from).

Thoughts?