Sign in to follow this  
Trekmachine

The Day the Earth Stood Still 2008

Isn't there any creativity left in Hollyweird? They are taking one of the greatest classic science-fiction movies of all time and turning it into a piece of CGI trash.

This thing looks like Independence Day 2.

Why can't these *expletive deleted* fools leave a classic alone?

What's next? Forbidden Planet with Will Smith and Tom Cruise?

seriously, I have to agree with oldfan on this - why not come up with something original? It's not like there have not been any other alien visits Earth movies - surely there's an angle that hasn't been covered.

Movies are remade all the time in Hollywood. It has been done since there have been new advise in filming movies. The best silent movies where remain when sound was added. The best back and whites where remade when colored film was developed. Now the films are being remain with CGI.

Isn't there any creativity left in Hollyweird? They are taking one of the greatest classic science-fiction movies of all time and turning it into a piece of CGI trash.

This thing looks like Independence Day 2.

Why can't these *expletive deleted* fools leave a classic alone?

What's next? Forbidden Planet with Will Smith and Tom Cruise?

I agree with oldfan1

I love the classic :Hmmm...:

I loved the original too. I never thought it would ever be re-made but that's a bad assumption to make in Hollywood these days. Originality is pretty rare out there now and that's one of the reasons, I believe, why comic book heroes are being made into movies. Comics, IMO, harbor one of the last places where original ideas are born because they are, for the most part, out of the mainstream. Also the fact that CGI can now bring all those super hero powers to life makes a real life movie more viable then what was tried back in the 70's and 80's. But as for "Day the Earth Stood Still", I did read that the end was going to be more like the original short story from the 40's then the harmogenized(?) 50's version. Did that turn out to be true? There are ways to re-do a movie if the director and producer believe in turning out a quality product but if they are in it just to make a fast buck, stay away. I haven't seen it yet and will wait for DVD release so I'll reserve any judgment until then. Did anyone else see it and have a review?

I have the back and white original on video, which I still watch from time to time. I don't know about the short story

from which the first version was made, but I liked the fact that the focus was on humanity, and whether or not man would learn to live in the interplanetary community, as well as among his fellow man.

The new version is unable to reconcile the human problems of the people with the alien's focus on the value of the planet, and not the people. Why should we focus on the little conflicts, for example between Jenifer Connelly's character and her stepson, when the 'important' question is the destruction of the environment?

I thought it strange that the little globes were gathering up samples of every kind of life on earth EXCEPT a sample of human beings.

Perhaps if the script were better written.....

I'll probably watch it again on DVD, but just for a second look at Gort, and those little locust-like machines that were destroying everything.

I fondly remember the original. I have not seen the new one. Cool, that Gort is in it! Would a sequel have at all worked? It was a great deal of power, Klaatu and his fellow advanced sentients gave in the original, to 'deal with' species that might upset the balance in their group of worlds. I doubt-correction, no, the Federation would never have allowed, I think, such sentient machines with a hand on the trigger....even if programmed with the best of motivations, and purposes. That is TOO MUCH control. Chilling thougt at possible consequences if something went wrong....anybody remember an AI called Skynet....or the Forbin Project?

Edited by Voyager recruit

I got to see the remake recently and my first opinion was right, CGI trash. This movie was about the CGI not about people.

I saw this new one, but never the original. At least I don't think so, my mind is always in the clouds to remember alot of movie stuff.

I missed some of it while I was at the theatre while I went for a refill of soda (they changed the size of a small on us at my theatre >.<) but I don't think I missed much. From what I saw it was nothing really impressive. Man comes to earth, earthling panic and he tries to kill them all then changes his mind. Smooth. At least, that's my thoughts for a summary.

Edited by Orders_ chaos

The original has, despite some similarities in basic plot, a more upbeat tone. It was released in the early fifties, when the Cold War was starting to crank up...and just about four or so years after the Kenneth Arnold first ufo sighting, which spawned the term 'flying saucer'...this Klaatu-or whatever they call him in the new one-comes to earth with a gift...but, you know us humans...we get scared. And complications arise...but, that's all i'll say. It IS a classic sf film, that anyone who wants to add it to their memories of good genre films should see.

I'm a big fan of the original and count it among my fave films. I'm also a big fan of the remake with Keanu Reeves. Contrary to the narrow mindedness of some that have nothing better to do than trash something, I actually enjoyed it very much and was pleased to see our generation pay homage to a classic sci fi film by portraying it in a more contemporary setting allowing for a new audience to find this film. :roflmao:

Yeah, it's best to reserve judgement, until I see it. In my case, probably a while; I have rented very little...and I have plenty of other things-such as writing, and coming to hang with my peeps here-to occupy my time. :roflmao:

I'm a big fan of the original and count it among my fave films. I'm also a big fan of the remake with Keanu Reeves. Contrary to the narrow mindedness of some that have nothing better to do than trash something, I actually enjoyed it very much and was pleased to see our generation pay homage to a classic sci fi film by portraying it in a more contemporary setting allowing for a new audience to find this film. :roflmao:

Before you call people narrow minded you need to learn that people may have an opinion that differs from yours and that does not make it any less valid. There are many science fiction fans that are tired of seeing constant remakes of classics just to make money with CGI.

These remakes are not a "homage" to the originals but a way to make money while not creating anything new, CGI does not a movie make. CGI extravaganzas may impress the younger fans that have grown up with special effects being around most of their lives but I want story to go with them and preferably something new not a rehash of a classic. Before you accuse me of "trashing" CGI I am very impressed with what they do with CGI but what they are doing isn't improving anything if they keep remaking the same movie over and over.

They have remade The Last Man On Earth Twice as The Omega Man and last time as I am Legend other than higher budgets and updating the time frame they didn't really improve on the story or make it more watchable.

The Thing From Another World was remade as The Thing by John Carpenter, it did follow the book much closer than the original and they are very different movies. I still prefer the original but like the remake. Now the remake is being remade to take advantage of CGI.

They have been trying to remake Forbidden Planet for several years now and the deal keeps falling apart (GOOD) and I can't see how they can improve on the original. Other than the blaster bolts the special effects were first rate.