Sign in to follow this  
star_rose

Brent would like to play a sequel of "Independence Day"

In the last magazine of the Star Trek Italian Club there are a lot of pages about Brent and the convention of Bellaria. It's interesting: Brent says in an interview that he is persuaded that his character in "Independence Day" wasn't dead, but only brought into an hospital. He hopes still that there will be a sequel one day and he hopes to play this character again...

what do you think about?

Edited by star_rose

A sequel would be pointless, they wrapped up the plot in a 2 hour movie full of plot holes so large you could drive a semi through. Aliens that are affected by a computer virus, the world bringing down all of those craft at the same time, how only a cable repairman could figure out the signal?

There was a book written called "Independence Day: Silent Zone" which focuses on Dr. Brackish Okun (the character Brent Spiner played). From what I understand it is set before and after the events of Independence Day. I believe there had been some talk of making it into a movie but nothing came of it.

A sequel to ID4 is virtually impossible. They clearly state that the entire alien civilization travels in the mothership, so with its destruction, the species is essentially extinct. There could be a few left from the city destroyers but I don't know if an entire movie can be made about them.

On top of that, despite whatever Spiner says, Dr. Okun was dead.

Actors never say their characters are dead, it's a type of joke they make so that they can come back.

In fact Brent said also that the producers would like to write a great story, therefore they have not yet decided if there will be another movie or not...

however he added that they said to him that his character would awake in a bed of an hospital...

But my Italian friends said to me that he was only joking... sigh!

perhaps something true is behind this story...

I personally really enjoyed ID4, and I find the President's speech to be one of the best fake presidential speeches I've ever heard, and as cool as it might be to see them back in action with today's special effects, I really don't see where they could take it unless they went in a very different direction (like PIXAR did with Toy Story 2...who saw that coming?)

What would the plot of prequel be?

"Today, we cover up the Alien Conspiracy!"

Based on the synopsis of the book that was written about Okun, a prequel would be about his work at Area 51 and his belief that another ship came to Earth beside the one that they were studying.

I read the book when it come out 11 years ago. I remember buying the book in downtown Chicago after I finished boot camp. The book was really good, but Brent can't play the part. He is way to old for it since it starts with his character dropping out of college or not going to college in the 60's. I think...

I read the book when it come out 11 years ago. I remember buying the book in downtown Chicago after I finished boot camp. The book was really good, but Brent can't play the part. He is way to old for it since it starts with his character dropping out of college or not going to college in the 60's. I think...

that's what I was about to say, Brent is too old to play in a prequel. How do you explain him looking older than in the original ID4 and it be a prequel? Also knowing Hollywood, if there is a prequel, they will get younger actors to play the roles. There is a lot of talk about prequels. Tarantino wants to do a Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction prequel called "The Vega Brothers", but it's obvious that Michael Madsen and John Travolta are too old to do a prequel. If that ever happens, I bet it will be other actors in the roles as well

A sequel to ID4 is virtually impossible. They clearly state that the entire alien civilization travels in the mothership, so with its destruction, the species is essentially extinct. There could be a few left from the city destroyers but I don't know if an entire movie can be made about them.

On top of that, despite whatever Spiner says, Dr. Okun was dead.

Agreed.