Sign in to follow this  
DaboGirl

Star Trek Remastered Season Two DVD Set

I guess I'll get it but I was really hoping that it would come out in Blu-Ray.

I guess I'll get it but I was really hoping that it would come out in Blu-Ray.

I've seen a lot people fairly upset and posting negative things about the non blu-ray release.

One poor soul picked up most of them when they were two per DVD, then picked up the three boxed sets in 2004, and senses a blu-ray edtion in the not too distant future. Of course making this set obsolete as well.

Okay what is the difference between blu ray and dvd

I'm no expert, but Blu-Ray is Sony's Hi-Res DVD format. You have to have a Blu-Ray DVD player to even play them.

I doubt I will purchase them. I am happy with the originals I already own on dvd. :)

The only problem with the originals even the scenes that are sans FX shots are cleaned up with richer, more vibrant colors and it's all remixed in Dolby stereo as well.

I'm sticking with my Original releases too. Yeah they aren't as pretty but they didn't go far enough with the remastering to get me to shell out the near $700 to repurchase them. This remastering catered too much to the purists. If they want me to buy them again they need to do an Over The Top Remastering with The Works done to it, right down to adding insects where/if applicable. Those boring "sky" backdrops need to go, replaced with dazzling vistas which stretch back to a realistic horizon and skies with clouds and "birds". I could go on and on...

I'm sticking with my Original releases too. Yeah they aren't as pretty but they didn't go far enough with the remastering to get me to shell out the near $700 to repurchase them. This remastering catered too much to the purists. If they want me to buy them again they need to do an Over The Top Remastering with The Works done to it, right down to adding insects where/if applicable. Those boring "sky" backdrops need to go, replaced with dazzling vistas which stretch back to a realistic horizon and skies with clouds and "birds". I could go on and on...

$700? Where did you see them for that price?

Here's season 2 from Amazon.com for less than $60

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-C...4074&sr=8-1

Those boring "sky" backdrops need to go, replaced with dazzling vistas which stretch back to a realistic horizon and skies with clouds and "birds". I could go on and on...

tn_gallery_4483_154_97692.jpg

tn_gallery_4483_154_88422.jpg

I hear you AE, Doomsday Machine was by far the best remastered episode I've seen. I would have like to see them give that treatment to every episode, however the only TOS series I have on DVD is Season 2 remastered and 4 of the old 2 per DVD episodes. Given the choice of the 2004 editions or the new remastered sets, I'll go with the new versions (sound, picture and whatnot).

STReqMeth.jpg

I was watching the last few remastered episodes on normal broadcast TV and when Requiem for Methuselah aired I'm looking at Flint's robot assitant M4... Yikes! replace that cheap looking thing! Nomad looked 10 times better.

tv_m4.jpg

I doubt I will purchase them. I am happy with the originals I already own on dvd. :hand:

The only problem with the originals even the scenes that are sans FX shots are cleaned up with richer, more vibrant colors and it's all remixed in Dolby stereo as well.

Imo, there are no problems with the originals. The reason that TOS was so good was not the f/x anyways (although the series was all the more endearing for trying its best with what was available at the time). Its popularity was due to the stories and the imaginations of the viewers.

I doubt I will purchase them. I am happy with the originals I already own on dvd. :hand:

Imo, there are no problems with the originals. The reason that TOS was so good was not the f/x anyways (although the series was all the more endearing for trying its best with what was available at the time). Its popularity was due to the stories and the imaginations of the viewers.

I agree about the focus being the stories but the enhancements really do add to the experience. I just started watching Season 2 and it is awesome.

51E9eu6EU9L._SL210_.jpg

I went head and ordered TOS Season 1 Remastered this morning. :hand:

I can't wait to flip it in and play Balance of Terror Remastered.

warbird_underbelly.jpg

I had a complaint with "Balance of Terror". I thought for sure that they would fix up the little balls of light that came out of the Enterprise that were supposed to be phasers but they didn't. Its still little balls of light...... :laugh:

STCatspaw.jpg

I watched 'Catspaw' this weekend from my second season remastered set. The remastered folks made a big deal about reworking the castle and that was the awesome high water mark of the remastered 'Catspaw' - I couldn't have cared less. It was six of one half dozen of the other vs. the original 60s version of the castle door. Now, what I did enjoy was the crisp/sharp picture and vivid colors like I had never seen 'Catspaw' before and that's good stuff.

I had a complaint with "Balance of Terror". I thought for sure that they would fix up the little balls of light that came out of the Enterprise that were supposed to be phasers but they didn't. Its still little balls of light...... :laugh:

Yeah. :hand: That was when I stopped watching the "remastered".

Season 3 remastered hits store shelves November 14th.

Ep74_stratos2t.jpg

Season 3 remastered: The Cloud Minders

Ep76_Flint_castlet.jpg

Season 3 remastered: Requiem for Methuselah

Ep75_aurorat.jpg

Season 3 remastered: The Way to Eden

Amazon.com has it available for pre-order at the price of $66.99 :hand:

I suspect that next year or the year after, one will be able to buy all three seasons in a BLU-RAY format as one separate box set.

Then they'll start tarting up TNG episodes - released as separate dvd series; then THEY'll be released as BLU-RAY; then DS9'll be released as BLU-RAY, and the cash cow'll keep going and going.

You'll never be done upgrading. It is really just not fair.

Answer me this: why can they not release every episode of Star Trek ever made in one huge BLU-RAY set? Because that'd skip straight to the end of the Monopoly game - past jail etc and the production companies would miss out on all the money they could squeeze out of fans along the way.

So I am hapy to catch episodes on tv as there are always reruns all the time. And I am going to wait whatever number of years it'll take to get my ultimate BLU-RAY box set. In the meantime, my well earned cash can go elsewhere.

I bought the HD-DVD Version of TOS Remastered Season one which is now useless in my BLURAY player...

Disk 1 from the 2nd season hasn't impressed me much. It had "Amok Time" and "Who Mourns For Adonais" on it. "Amok time" had a great shot of the arena where Kirk and Spock fought but other than that there was nothing really new. "Who Mourns For Adonais" really had no noticable new stuff on it.

I suspect that next year or the year after, one will be able to buy all three seasons in a BLU-RAY format as one separate box set.

Then they'll start tarting up TNG episodes - released as separate dvd series; then THEY'll be released as BLU-RAY; then DS9'll be released as BLU-RAY, and the cash cow'll keep going and going.

You'll never be done upgrading. It is really just not fair.

Answer me this: why can they not release every episode of Star Trek ever made in one huge BLU-RAY set? Because that'd skip straight to the end of the Monopoly game - past jail etc and the production companies would miss out on all the money they could squeeze out of fans along the way.

So I am hapy to catch episodes on tv as there are always reruns all the time. And I am going to wait whatever number of years it'll take to get my ultimate BLU-RAY box set. In the meantime, my well earned cash can go elsewhere.

I bought the HD-DVD Version of TOS Remastered Season one which is now useless in my BLURAY player...

Prometheus, it's called capitalism and 'God Bless America' nowhere is there a more shining example than right here in the good old USofA. :Hmmm...:

And you are correct, it's a treadmill that never ends. I almost bought the 2004 sets, but I waited for these. When the Blu-Ray comes out I'll have to pass on those sets because I am treating myself now.