Sign in to follow this  

Which Joker is the best?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Joker is the best?

• Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)
    • Mark Hamill (various 90's - 00's cartoons and video games)
    • Jack Nicholson (Batman)
    • Cesar Romero (TV series)

Yeah, I know, each actor played the Joker differently. I am asking about both the differences in the character itself (for example, only the Tim Burton movie gave the Joker a regular name) and how well the chosen actor played that character.

I noticed that in that but I say Heath Ledger did better job has the joker he did it good and the laugh he did was good

I guess I'd say Ledger gave the best performance. I loved how serious and dark the character was made for the movie. Hamill and Jack would be my second favorites. I liked C as a kid, but I don't care for the light-hearted Joker that came about because the comic book censorship of the 50s and 60s

The Dark Knight depiction is closest to the original comic books. When the comic books became lighter Romero took the character in a different direction, Nicholson took it even further, and Hamil even further. So you could say Romero steered the character to what most people *think* the Joker was about and Ledger returned it to it's roots.

I realize that Ledger is the current 'Darling Of The Week' and he gave us an excellent version of the Joker but I still think that Nicholson was the better Joker. He showed the Joker as a person of many layers with a lot of nuances.

I liked all of them. But Ledger gave the best. I don't think anyone could top that if they tried..

that is why I don't really look forward to the next actor to play the Joker. He has some might big shoes to fill

here is a good question for this topic, why do people love the Joker? I do, he is probably my favorite comic villain. What are the reasons you think people like him so much?

I like Ledger's performance the best, followed by Hamil. Ledger was dark and seriously disturbed, a far cry from newer depictions, but close to the original comic. I think people like The Joker because of two main reasons. One, he's the antithesis of Batman, almost like his polar opposite. Two, because he's a sociopath that also kills in interesting and humorous ways at times.

If there goin to make another dark knight movie if joker is in it there goin to have to have somoeone else play joker they need to top off Heath Ledger's Joker part I think they can't but they can try

I never saw the tv series on batman just the movies maybe I came across the series here n there I was just sayin for the movie part

Mark Hamill in B:TAS was the definitive Joker. The perfect mix of what the Joker is supposed to be: psychotic and yet still funny.

Case in point: This YouTube video of various Joker laughs by Hamill:

There's also this one of one of only two Joker appearances on Justice League (unfortunately only Batman could be used on the later seasons of Justice League due the "Bat-Embargo" which reserved most of Batman's supporting characters and Rogue's Gallery for the relaunched movies and The Batman TV series). For the record, Mark Hamill is also voicing Solomon Grundy in this clip.

That being said, I really liked Ledger's portrayal. I was afraid he was going to go too far to the psychotic side without being funny, but I did find his Joker to be quite funny. From what I've seen, Nicholson and Romero just don't do it for me. Romero's Joker was just a campy clown themed villian with none of the darkness that the Joker is supposed to have (which is understandable when you look at how tongue-in-cheek that series was) and Nicholson's Joker just campy and annoying (but better than Romero's). Though Nicholson did have at least some of the requisite darkness.

For the record, I also consider Kevin Conroy (also B:TAS and who has played Batman than any other actor) to be the definitive Batman. Though I do love Christian Bale's Batman. Of course, I consider the DCAU version of everything DC related to be the definitive version.

thanks for the two videos from youtube Jack_Bauer and loving the avatar

I say it the same who played joker like someone said people do it differently playing joker

For the record, I also consider Kevin Conroy (also B:TAS and who has played Batman than any other actor) to be the definitive Batman. Though I do love Christian Bale's Batman. Of course, I consider the DCAU version of everything DC related to be the definitive version.

I'll agree with ya there. I love the DCAU, from Batman to JLU, it's all great. Hamill is a really cool Joker, and what makes it even better is that Hamill is a huge comic book fan and felt honored to play the role. It's definitely the reason why he makes such great guest appearances