Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Startrek.com

First of all I want to say that I'm glad that this site was established for the true fans of Star trek. Perhaps loyal would be a better choice of words. I have already seen and recognized many names that used to post on the message boards of Startrek.com and the reason why so many of us are here seem to be all the same. I don't believe that I have to mention them. I do wish to put up one defense of Startrek.com though. It wasn't the total site that was the problem. I still go there to get info and news that won't appear anywhere else and for the most part it is well maintained. I even suggest to any reading this that you change your internet access to Startrek.net which is powered by Earthlink. Through this server you have access to exclusives that doesn't appear on the general Star Trek site. Streaming interviews with the cast and production crews for one and highlights about the development of the concepts that we've now become accustomed to, such as how the DS9 station was first conceived and how it took its final form. Hearing from the people who actually do the work behind the scenes is worth every cent. It really was the message boards that was the problem. Those who don't understand Star Trek seemed to take great pleasure in de-riding those who do. Paramount took great pains, I'm sure, to insure the constitutional rights of all who wanted to post but did nothing to protect the integrity of those who wanted nothing more than a forum to exchange insightful, thoughtful prose about our favorite fantasy. (That doesn't include females in short skirts which is another fantasy altogether). Startrek.com is still a viable site for us fans to gather info and news to talk about here and, every now and then, there as well. I hope the site will continue but as for the message board there, if they were to disappear tomorrow, I would not miss them any more than a bad cold. Let's not fall into the trap of dissing Startrek.com and becoming the trolls we came here to avoid. It's still not a bad place, you just have to know where to look. I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for you attention. Qapla.

Guest Ktrek

Xenexian,

I agree with you about Startrek.com being a good place for information. I check it out at least once a week and as you said it is maintained very well. It's the message boards, for me, that have left a bad taste in my mouth. I enjoy communicating with fans who "love" Star Trek" not fans who hate it and st.com seems to have alot of those. I am not a big Berman and Braga fan and would be the first to admit it, BUT I also recognize the good things they have done in keeping the franchise alive. The general spirit and tone of the st.com message boards is what bothers me. There are some really good fans who post there but it seems that more and more the bad posters are outweighing the good. I have seen alot of fans come and just as quickly leave once they have a feel for what is happening on the boards. I have not been a member here but a few days and can say with all honesty that there is a "good" spirit displayed by most everyone and even if there is disagreement it is done with tact and consideration, which is what Star Trek is all about. Learning to live, work and play together and making our differences unite us not divide us. IDIC rules!! :)

Ktrek

PS. Let's just hope the bad guys don't migrate over here and try to raise hell! :bow:

I go to startrek.com daily, as has already been said the problem is peoplelink and the old style message board and the seeming lack of interest the admins have in it.

Can I just ask why you left? I mean, I know you left because of the spamming, but that is confined mostly to tenforward right now. IMHO, by all the good people leaving, we have left the spammers to roam the message board that most new fans first go to. If we all posted there as well and didn't respond to the spam, that site wouldn't be too bad.

Can I just ask why you left? I mean, I know you left because of the spamming, but that is confined mostly to tenforward right now. IMHO, by all the good people leaving, we have left the spammers to roam the message board that most new fans first go to. If we all posted there as well and didn't respond to the spam, that site wouldn't be too bad.

When I left, there were several reasons. The Spam was just part of it. BUt for that part the spam was on all of the boards, not just Ten Forward. Another reason was the forum interface is not very user friendly and is really outdated. Kind of like using a Comodore 64 computer when you could be using a new 2ghz PC.

The spamming is just one reason I left the boards but I still visit st.com regularly. On some of the boards people would rather insult than debate. I know that there were times when I would post a comment about having enjoyed a movie or an episode and someone would post a reply saying I was an idiot and that the movie/episode was garbage. No reason as to why they disagree just name calling. I got tired of that fast.

The TNG board had been relatively free of spam except for one posters inane posts of copying things from the st.com library but even that board was hit recently by the spammers. I wonder if one of the spammers is visiting (not a member) this board as I had commented on how the TNG board had not hit by spam and then the sheliak hit it. I also noticed that the traffic level at the TNG board has been done quite a bit since the Sisters Soong left. Coincidence?

I left because all of the arguing and name calling (particularly from some guy called wolf trek.) Also the spamming and for some reason the perception that everyone had on Enterprise. Everyday I would go there and they would complain about something on Enterprise. Sometimes I agreed but most of the time I just wanted to say "quit your whining...it's not that bad!"

I agree with VaBeachGuy. The interface is outdated. In fact, Comedy Central chucked Peoplelink last year. That is how old it is. Comedy Central uses an old version of php now, but it is still much better than Peoplelink.

The main reason for moving over here from ST.com was that my friend Takara_Soong (once called soong_girl) had moved over here. And in the short time that we were here I discovered the format was much mor efficient. At ST.com I would have to go onto AOL, then load Netscape and go to the site! That became miserable to do, so coming here eliminated those extra steps! Then of course the spamming, the insults and the name calling! I keep telling myself that I was not angered by someone that called me and my friends (The Soong Sisters) psychotic. But, in fact I was pretty upset, since I had never ever said anything to warrant an attack and I know my Sisters didn't either!! But that was the case and there were other cases when I would be called an idiot or completely ignored when posting on subjects! I think that I am a lot happier to be here versus over there! and my sisters...well I am pretty sure they'd agree with me, right Soong Sisters???

there did not seem to be a way to have a friendly debate there. If you posted your opinion and it differed from someones...you were stupid.

i cannot tell how many times i had to say that it was my right to have an opinion and it was my right to think anything i want to and their right too, but neither of us should insult the other for having a different opinion.

Worfboy who changed his name to wolf trek even posted on my happy birthday with to John DeLancie "you said that already"

I nearly popped a blood vessel on that one. People had been insulting him and also nicely asking him to stop spamming the boards, but he jsut kept going. But his comment to me was the last straw for me. I saw a post about this board and came. I saw that my sisters were already here and that did it for me. I have not looked back...

Lessa Song, startrek.com is very sad compared to this place. To tell you the truth, Peoplelink made the posts very hard to read. Each repy had to be clicked on if you wanted to read them. That sucked. This place is much more fluent. To be honest with you. I spent very little time in startrek.com. As for official sites, the only one I was frequent in was comedycentral.com. That had several trolls also. I have since moved to some private sites for a couple of CC's shows also. The private sites are always better.

I was also personally attacked when I posted that I was against the war. I was threatened with anal rape. altho I don't feel as tho that particular poster could actually find out where I live, and even if they did, well, let's just say, I'm packing! And I have a billy club right next to my front door, and my hubby would just whip out his knife and cut up anybody who hurt me.

anyway, that was why I left, the spamming, the name calling. I don't mind a little swearing for emphasis, and mild name-calling, but just as up above, the Soong sisters were called psychotic, for just posting? To my mind, that is abuse. And altho the site itself is informative, the message board administrator doesn't care about us loyal fans getting abused.

The difference between an official board and a fan created board is devotion. The official sites want to have bulk users, bring in the money with ads. A fan site is devoted to true discussion simply out of love for the shows and movies. Fan sites are more creative, and more fun. THe official site has a ton of great information, but it's like in life, when you want information you go to the library. When you want fun you go to an amusement park.