Sign in to follow this  
Hooray for boobies

Regular crew members

If you were to do a remake of TNG today, who of the crew would you make regular crew members? That is to say crew members that would reappear in several episodes.

I don't mean the regular cast, but supporting characters that might reappear in the background throughout a season. O'Brien for instance would be an obvious choice.

Some others that would probably be given.

O'Brien (Until he transfers)

Barclay

Ro (From the fifth season)

Guinan

Keiko (?)

Nurse Ogawa

And some other possibles.

Doctor Selar

Ensign Sito (Some time after First Duty)

And the cartographer Picard has an affair with, I forgot the name.

Who else have I forgotten?

And some other possibles.

Doctor Selar

Ensign Sito (Some time after First Duty)

And the cartographer Picard has an affair with, I forgot the name.

Who else have I forgotten?

I completely agree with Dr. Selar (I really liked that character and Suzie Plakson is wonderful) and Ensign Sito although she would only be able to be in a few episodes since she was killed in the episode Lower Decks.

I disagree with having Nella Daren (the cartographer you couldn't remember the name of) as a regular crew member. I didn't like her although I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm sure Mrs. Picard could give us a number of reasons though. :laugh:

I can't really think of any others that I would have liked to see more of. I can think of a few others beside Nella Daren that I would not want to see again (Jenna D'Sora and Lt. Cmdr. Shelby come to mind).

Okay I agree with Obrien, Ro and Barclay and maybe Guinan but Keiko she was a rubbish character in TNG I would prefer Dr Selar to take Nurse Ogawa's place and maybe Shelby to take Riker's place in the main cast

Problem with Shelby is you can't have her and Riker at the same time. They would fill the same position. It works for one episode to create conflict but would not be good for a whole season. For the same reasons I did not mention Dr Pulaski who would be a competitor for the position of chief medical officer.

But there ought to be some from the early seasons. Geordi was not chief engineer in the first season. Who was?

Also there is the vulcan ensign in lower decks. Same actor as Vorik. It would be possible to have Vorik as a crew member on the Enterprise and then transfer him to Voyager.

But there ought to be some from the early seasons. Geordi was not chief engineer in the first season. Who was?

Argyle was one. And a few others, there was no "regular" chief engineer in the first season, there appeared to be more than one.

And I'd throw out Crusher ( :laugh: ) and ask Pulaski to take over her job. :blink: And yeah, I'd add Guinan and O'Brien to the main cast as well. :blink: And Ogawa. She was pretty cool, too.

And I'd throw out Crusher ( :blink: ) and ask Pulaski to take over her job. :laugh: And yeah, I'd add Guinan and O'Brien to the main cast as well. :blink: And Ogawa. She was pretty cool, too.

I agree, but reasons are different. :laugh: Dr. Pulaski was starting to become an intersting charact towards the end of the second season. I have wonder what direction she would have taken in season 3. I do agree with Guinan and O'Brien.

O'Brien and Guinan no doubt.

They could always add a lot to an episode whether they just had a few lines or were a major focus of episode.

Their characters (or skills as an actor) could really shine.

2646087173_617f54d719.jpg

Edited by DaboGirl

There were a number as Mrs. Picard said. In The Naked Now it was Chief Engineer Sarah MacDougall. In Datalore it was Argyle. Lieutenant Logan was in Arsenal of Freedom. Lieutenant Commander Leland T. Lynch was chief engineer in Skin of Evil. I got that list from Memory Alpha. Also Assistant Chief Engineer Singh was killed in Lonely Among Us.

And I'd throw out Crusher ( :blink: ) and ask Pulaski to take over her job. :laugh: And yeah, I'd add Guinan and O'Brien to the main cast as well. :blink: And Ogawa. She was pretty cool, too.

I agree, but reasons are different. :laugh: Dr. Pulaski was starting to become an intersting charact towards the end of the second season. I have wonder what direction she would have taken in season 3. I do agree with Guinan and O'Brien.

I agree with you both regarding Dr. Pulaski. I liked her so much better than Beverly Crusher. I think more fans would have liked Dr. Pulaski better if they had introduced her differently. They were trying to go for a Spock/Bones-like dynamic for Pulaski and Data but it didn't work and the backlash against her never went away. She was a better doctor, a more interesting character and she was a much better counterpart to Data than Crusher ever was.

That was was a whole weird move, Dr. Pulaski is in Dr. Crusher is out. Wait, Wesley isn't still on the ship?

Then Pulaski decides I don't want to do Star Trek anymore, "I quit".

Which leads us back to Dr. Crusher is in and Dr. Pulaski is out.

Finally the mother/son team of Dr. and Wesley Crusher is reunited for good on the old NCC-1701-D.

The end.

Wait... Wesley decides I don't want to do Star Trek anymore, "I quit".

Dizzying isn't it? :laugh:

2646087173_617f54d719.jpg

I would have included O'Brien, Guinan, Dr. Selar, Ro, Barclay as much as possible. You really need to show a lot more characters to flesh out the idea of an entire starship full of crewmembers imo.

I did always enjoy it when you heard some characters being paged even when they weren't shown. That was done with Dr. Selar and Barclay I believe, among others.

I also would have liked to see some of the frequently used background charcters get speaking parts. One example would be Diana Giddings, who was played by regular extra and stand-in Lorine Mendell. She was seen in many TNG episodes, in the first season usually wearing a skirt and working in engineering. Her name was never spoken in dialog (the script of TNG: "The Outrageous Okona" calls her "A well-endowed female crewmember"; in the script of TNG: "Power Play" she is called a "supernumerary"), her name was shown on the door in "The Outrageous Okona," but it was barely legible on her door sign. The Star Trek Encyclopedia gives her name as 'Dianna Giddings' but the sign on her door reads more like 'Diana'. (From Memory Alpha)

Come on you guys can't be serious about Pulaski she was the most annoying doctor in the ST universe. She had the worst bedside manner as well. She is the doctor I hate most in the ST universe

Come on you guys can't be serious about Pulaski she was the most annoying doctor in the ST universe. She had the worst bedside manner as well. She is the doctor I hate most in the ST universe

Well, I think exactly the same thing... about Crusher, though. :blush2:

Oh and yes I forgot, Wesley should leave, too. Insert some random Ensign Redshirt or something. :cloud9:

@ Takara

It's good to see some appreciation for Pulaski!!! :) She gets way too much hatred all the time. :roflmao: