Sign in to follow this  
DaboGirl

Star Trek The Experience Closing In September :-(

Star Trek The Experience Closing In September [uPDATED] June 29, 2008

by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Conventions/Events/Attractions , trackback

In May TrekMovie first reported that the future of the Star Trek The Experience at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas was in doubt after its contract ended in December. Recently we reported that talks were continuing to the end of this month, but apparently a decision has been made in the last couple of days and the contract will not be renewed. After 10 years in operation, The Experience will close its doors in early September.

An official announcement is expected early this week, but multiple sources have confirmed with TrekMovie that the decision to close The Experience has been made. Negotiations between CBS, Paramount, Cedar Fair (owners of the Experience) and the Las Vegas Hilton went on longer than originally expected. There was hope that the new Star Trek movie coming in 2009 would help boost attendance, which has been in decline, but not all the parties could come to an agreement. Apparently the Hilton Hotel was the biggest holdout, convinced more money could be made using the space for other purposes.

Employees at The Experience are being informed today of the decision. A press release may be issued as early as Monday morning. The final date is likely to be in the first week of September, after the Labor Day weekend holiday. Although the contract for The Experience ends December 31st, Cedar Fair is required to completely vacate the premises by that time so they will need the time to clear out. No word yet on what will happen with all the rides, replicas and costumes, but all the original props and costumes will be returned to CBS.

The closure of Star Trek The Experience have no effect on the official Creation Star Trek convention being held August 6th-10th at the Las Vegas Hilton. The attraction will be up and running during the event and is likely to spur additional sales for the convention as Trekkies visit it one last time (or for those who haven’t yet checked it out, their first and only time).

Officials from CBS & Cedar Fair have not returned calls or emails yet on this late breaking story. As more information comes to light, TrekMovie will provide updates.

UPDATE: Officials with CBS have confirmed the story and say a release from Cedar Fair should be forthcoming soon.

Pulled from www.trekmovie.com :superhappy:

:superhappy: Not good..Looks like it's not just a rumor..Glad I'm going there this year for one last time during the convention.

I need to make a trip sometime this year. I am too close to not go, but I will do so after the summer! Maybe those who live in SoCal can start a trip here or meet there.

This is very disappointing. It was a fun experience and the rides and Quarks were highlights. Glad I went twice and may have to consider a trip out there but may not be possible for me.

Very sad news indeed. I've been there multiple times and never tire of it. I imagine that this will be the last big Trek con there as well. Before the Experience came, the huge annual Creation con was usually held in California. It will be interesting to see where it will be held now. As for the Experience, perhaps just a change in venue is in order. I'm sure that if it relocated to another tourist city, it will be hugely sucessful. Two cities that spring to mind would be Branson, Mo and Orlando, Fla. I think it would be a huge hit in both of those places. Hopefully, we have not seen the last of the Experience!

There was at a HUGE work related convention in Vegas in March as soon as the Convention was out @ 5:30pm I went! No one else from my office wanted to go. I was lucky with the timing of this bad news that I even made it before it closed.

Edited by DaboGirl

Confirmations popping up everywhere now :-(

'Star Trek: The Experience' To End

Trekkies Have Been Visiting Hilton's Attraction For 11 Years

“Star Trek: The Experience” is ending its 11-year run at the Las Vegas Hilton on Sept. 1.

Since 1998, millions of guests have boldly gone into the 24th century to battle Klingons, Borg and other hostile aliens, according to the operations manager.

The original complex featured the Klingon Encounter, an interactive adventure and ride. In 2004, Borg Invasion 4-D was introduced, and the Secrets Unveiled Backstage Tour began in 2005.

Operations manager and director of marketing Chad Boutte said the following in a news release:

“Hailing frequencies open. We’d like to thank all the fans and friends of Star Trek, whose constant and amazing support we’ve enjoyed throughout our tenure at the Las Vegas Hilton. As we boldly go into the futures that await, know that we take your love of ‘Star Trek: The Experience’ with us. We share the memories of time spent in the most unique place in the Galaxy, and we carry those memories into our futures with us. Live long and prosper. Hailing frequencies closed.”

There was no word on what, if any, attraction will be replacing “Star Trek: The Experience.”

Very sad. :superhappy: Robert and I went right after our wedding in '98. Wish I could see how it's changed since then.

Very sad. :superhappy: Robert and I went right after our wedding in '98. Wish I could see how it's changed since then.

I imagine It's a lot the same as when you went, sans the addition of Borg 4-D. No doubt a fun place, but 4 seasons of Enterprise and nothing really reflected that other than one picture on the wall and one or two items in the museum. Enterprise isn't my fave, but it was the most current show. And of course nothing on TOS other than a few photos and a bunch items in the museum.

I don't want to knock the place, I'd go back in a NY minute, however freshening things up more probably could have helped attendance.

I'm lucky I finally went before it closed.

I imagine It's a lot the same as when you went, sans the addition of Borg 4-D. No doubt a fun place, but 4 seasons of Enterprise and nothing really reflected that other than one picture on the wall and one or two items in the museum. Enterprise isn't my fave, but it was the most current show. And of course nothing on TOS other than a few photos and a bunch items in the museum.

I don't want to knock the place, I'd go back in a NY minute, however freshening things up more probably could have helped attendance.

I'm lucky I finally went before it closed.

I like Kor's idea, I'm sure it won't happen but it'd be awesome if they put it in Orlando... just a stone's throw from the KSC. I'd make a trip down there every summer if they did that.

STAR TREK VEGAS:

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT CONCERNING

STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE

We wanted to share the unfortunate news that "Star Trek: The Experience" is ending its 11-year run at the Las Vegas Hilton on Sept. 1, right after The Official STAR TREK CONVENTION (August 6 to 10, 2008).

STEXP3.jpg

Since 1988, millions of fans have enjoyed the wonderful job that The Experience did in presenting a live Star Trek Universe. The employees there were extremely dedicated to their passion of providing a great time for their visitors. We are certainly going to miss having The Experience as part of our convention parties.

In sharing this message we wanted to let folks know that Star Trek: The Experience will be fully up and running throughout this year's convention and for those that want to see it before it closes (an absolute must for Trekkers) or raise a glass one last time in Quark's bar, now is the time to make your plans to be with us for the convention too. We have one party at The Experience still open for tickets on Friday night: be with us as we celebrate the 11 year run of The Experience with dinner, entertainment and complimentary themed rides. Click here to get yourself set for the very last party we'll have at The Experience!

Or, come to the convention and pop into Star Trek: The Experience anytime during our five days! CLICK HERE FOR FULL INFORMATION ON THE OFFICIAL STAR TREK CONVENTION in LAS VEGAS! With over 8,000 tickets sold to date we're on our way to one of the biggest STAR TREK gatherings ever and we expect with this news more fans will come aboard to say goodbye to The Experience!

For those that have asked, the closure of The Experience does not affect the future of the convention. We already have 2009 booked and ready to go to celebrate 40 plus years of STAR TREK and, of course, the new huge feature STAR TREK film which will be opening shortly before the convention. In 2009, STAR TREK takes its rightful place back on the top of worldwide pop culture and the convention should reflect all of the added excitement of a blockbuster hit feature film. Of all the entertainment franchises that exists we truly believe that STAR TREK, with its positive message of acceptance of diversity and hope for a positive future, is the most important and meaningful.

Thanks,

Your "we'll raise a glass to toast the memories we made at Star Trek: The Experience" friends

at Creation Entertainment

LAS VEGAS, NV

Thursday - Sunday

August 6 - 10, 2008

Las Vegas Hilton Hotel

Home of Star Trek: The Experience

3000 Paradise Rd.

I'm glad to see it won't affect the 2009 convention, we'll still have to plan for a board gathering at that convention but it's disappointing that we won't be able to do it in Quarks Bar. That would have been a great time.

I don't see why Creation remains committed to the Hilton after the Experience leaves. The only reason to have the con there was because the Experience was there. The Hilton is one of the oldest hotels in Vegas. There are much better venues.

They probably already booked the convention for 2009 before they found out this was the last year for 'The Experience'. I can see them moving the convention closer to the strip, but I wouldn't want to see the convention move away from Vegas..

They probably already booked the convention for 2009 before they found out this was the last year for 'The Experience'. I can see them moving the convention closer to the strip, but I wouldn't want to see the convention move away from Vegas..

I agree. Vegas is a great central spot for the national convention. I still see some hope for perhaps moving The Experience to another tourist town, though.

I think if they move The Experience to another city, like Orlando for instance then the Convention would likely follow it. Wasn't that the whole reason they started having it in Vegas to begin with?

I think if they move The Experience to another city, like Orlando for instance then the Convention would likely follow it. Wasn't that the whole reason they started having it in Vegas to begin with?

Good point. You are probably correct. What better place to have the national convention than at The Experience?.....wherever it is.

I agree that the convention is probably locked in to Vegas for 2009 - but consider the possibilities. This is Vegas! Maybe a showgirl tribute to TreK??? If the actors who have worked at the evperience are still in Vegas next summer, maybe costumes could be found for them to wear and perform. Maybe do a come in costume or Star trek Tshirt etc event. Maybe Richard Arnold could actually come up with Trek costumes (and do more than just talk?) Have a Star Trek stunt show. They could come up with something fun - have fans come up with ideas. There are always ... possibilities.

Sad to hear its closing and when I was Visiting Vegas 2 years ago (over christmas time) at least I finally saw it even if it was from the outside would've been awesome if I was able to look around inside ah well.

:vbg:

Is '09 still at the Hilton? I wasn't sure from the announcement.

Still can't decide if she should go to con this year. 2ahb880.gif

Is '09 still at the Hilton? I wasn't sure from the announcement.

Still can't decide if she should go to con this year. 2ahb880.gif

From a message that Creation sent out....

For those that have asked, the closure of The Experience does not affect the future of the convention. We already have 2009 booked and ready to go to celebrate 40 plus years of STAR TREK and, of course, the new huge feature STAR TREK film which will be opening shortly before the convention. In 2009, STAR TREK takes its rightful place back on the top of worldwide pop culture and the convention should reflect all of the added excitement of a blockbuster hit feature film. Of all the entertainment franchises that exists we truly believe that STAR TREK, with its positive message of acceptance of diversity and hope for a positive future, is the most important and meaningful.

Sad to hear its closing and when I was Visiting Vegas 2 years ago (over christmas time) at least I finally saw it even if it was from the outside would've been awesome if I was able to look around inside ah well.

:blink:

You went to Vegas and didn't visit The Experience????? :vbg: