Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Are Trekkies Weird?

Are Trekkies Weird?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is it weird to have autographed pics hanging up in your home?

• Yes
    • Yes, you'll always be alone
    • No
    • No, there's nothing wrong with it
    • Other opinion?

Yeah, this weighs on my mind alot because of the way my home looks.OK, hypothetical situation..--Suppose you were dating someone you really liked..When you finally saw his or her home there were autographed Trek pics everywhere..Would it be a turn off or would you be OK with it?

Its been a long time since I've dated anyone other than my wife but as I recall, I sort of eased my Trek fandom into the relationship slowly. I haven't had anyone yet see my autographed pics made fun of me or anything. Most were impressed.

Well, I am weird, but I don't think that being a Trekkie has anything to do with it...

I got Alana to watch Star Trek, so its not strange at all

but I am gonna always be alone I think :o

I think if she knew you were into Trek before coming to your house it should be fine. I'm going to pull a stereotype of women out now - would you think she was weird if you went to her house and she had 40 pairs of black shoes (different styles, different heels, etc. but all black). People love and collect things and there isn't much difference between collecting Trek, shoes, sports cards, etc. IMO.

but I am gonna always be alone I think :o

You're never truly alone when you've got friends. Don't give up - lots of times love finds you when you least expect it.

wierd is in the eye of the beholder

I think I remember seing some Trek memorabilia in the photos you posted so perhaps you're worried. Ideally a home has a den where you can put your hobby stuff like collectibles but a more formal room for guests. That's not an option for people like me who live in an apartment. I've actually gotten rid of some Trek stuff - just no room for it.

Honestly it depends on the person - maybe if you find someone you can be happy with - you might find it's worth it to put away some of the photographs to make room for her stuff - causes chances are she has something she collects too.

Being a Trekkie is not weird anymore, but at one time it was very weird. Having autographed pictures on display is still pretty weird.

I actually attracted a girlfriend because I am a Trekkie. She was over at my place initially for a business meeting and I thought I had hidden my Trek stuff pretty well. Apparently I didn't, and she saw it. While we were walking downtown for dinner she started asking if I had been to Quarks, debating whether TNG was better than VOY, etc.

Although there are a few weird Trekkies, the overwhelming majority of us are just as normal as any fans.

Hanging autographed pics on a wall (or several walls) is great! I bet there's fans of movie stars who have autographed pics of their favorites on their walls! I'd love to have some on my walls. Be proud of them!

The only way that having autographed pictures on you wall would be weird is if they are all in the same handwriting.......YOURS.

The only way that having autographed pictures on you wall would be weird is if they are all in the same handwriting.......YOURS.

:sniffle:

I've got posters on my cupboard doors, I've got a shelf full of tng series 1 vhs, series 2+3 on dvd, companion episode guide, books, magazine box full, and a massive TOS Enterprise ship model.

I was considered weird in school but i dont care because at least i was different i was in fact the heart of the class, we made a song up for star trekkin' !

i dont know if they were laughing at me or with me, but either way i enjoyed the attention lol

If I had them, I would proudly display them.

And if anybody had a problem with this, we could discuss it.o050.gif

It's not weird. My friend Carl has Autographs hanging all over his living room, not just Trek, it was all Sci-Fi's: Stargate, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Farscape, Lord of the Rings, etc. His wife was ok with it, though she's a trekkie too. He's the CO of the USS Ticonderoga Fan Club I'm in and his wife is the XO.

I voted yes.

But hey variety is the spice of life.

If everyone was the same life would be boring. ZZZZZzzzzzzz...

And I've met NASCAR fans that are sooooooo obsessed they blow thier $$$ for food, clothing, transportation, housing on NASCAR bedsheets, lamps and whatnot, now I call that weird :blush::elephant:

2549254444_d3b909a72c_m.jpg

Weird is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think sushi is weird, I think it's delicious.

Anyway, at the risk of sounding incredibly cheesey, if someone thinks your interests are weird (and not in the fun, quirky way) or doesn't at least tolerate them, they may not be the best person for you.

I voted yes. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with collecting the items and having a separate area for them in the house,but to display them everywhere seems a bit weird imo. It all comes down to finding someone that can accept a person for who they are.

What is the difference if someone has autographs of athletes, politicians, actors or anyone else? Just because its Star Trek it does not make it weird.

Edited by Odie

i voted no!it is not wierd hanging autograph posters on your bedroom wall,LOL! :D

post-967-1218361161.gif

post-967-1218361252.gif

post-967-1218361364.jpg

post-967-1218361513.jpg

:DThere is nothing wrong with having autographed pics on the wall . . . Star Trek or otherwise . . .

I have had/will have my share of pics, autographed pics, posters, and bumper stickers up on my door.

I was a considered a weirdo in school - I didn't need to love Star Trek to be labeled that way . . .

My dear hubby is very tolerant of my hobby - I enjoy his hobby - not many girls do - I grew up with dad being a gunsmith.

Edited by Healer T'Lynne

Yeah, this weighs on my mind alot because of the way my home looks.OK, hypothetical situation..--Suppose you were dating someone you really liked..When you finally saw his or her home there were autographed Trek pics everywhere..Would it be a turn off or would you be OK with it?

yes yes we are very weird but who wants to be normal we will never get any were being normal being weird is how a species evolve's. im very proud of the fact im weird :D

I know that I belong to a totally different age class than you, but at my high school I was known almost universally as "Trekkie." Everyone that knew me knew I was a Trek fanatic. I would hear it shouted out in the hallways "Hey Trekkie" and so on...and there was one constant through all of it:

They loved me for it.

Seriously, not a single person saw any problem with my fandom, and they got a BIG kick out of hearing me speak Klingon or list off all of the ship classes or jump out of my seat at the first Star Trek reference of the week in our textbook. My girlfriend and I (we've been dating almost 2 years now) were actually voted cutest couple of our senior class. :blink:

I can count on one finger the amount of times I've been ridiculed for being a trekkie, and at the same time I've gotten jobs because I mentioned I was a Trekkie, I've furthered relationships with my girlfriend, and get compliments all the time. My friends always refer to me first for anything Star Trek. :blink:

So is it weird? Not in the least. It's all in how you carry it. :blink:

Yes, they are to those who have a limited capability to view others with an open mind.

That being said, I do think special pictures and autographed items should be kept in one area of a home, not everywhere about..........that's when I would bend the rules and begin to wonder if it was an unhealthy love of something. So if you have a study, or special area just for viewing television, that would be the best place for it.

That being said, in all the years of being a Trek fan, it's only within the last 3 that I've seen some seriously unstable people who happen to also like Trek. I think it's unfair to generalize one group as such.

That being said, in all the years of being a Trek fan, it's only within the last 3 that I've seen some seriously unstable people who happen to also like Trek. I think it's unfair to generalize one group as such.
You've been a member of this forum for three years... :Hmmm...: Edited by Eratosthenes