Sign in to follow this  
DaboGirl

Picard's top 10 Missions

I just thought everyone here might find this interesting IGN has story up with what they consider to be the top 10 Picard episodes. A pretty good list, but no 'Drumhead'?

1. Chain of Command

2. The Best of Both Worlds

3. All Good Things...

4. The Inner Light

5. Darmok

6. Measure of a Man

7. Yesterday's Enterprise

8. Gambit

9. Conspiracy

10. Encounter at Farpoint

In my humble opinion 9 & 10 do not belong on this list. Replace them with Drumhead & Tapestry for 2 superior Picard episodes.

I agree with you that Conspiracy and EAF shouldn't be on the list. I find it interesting that they included The Measure of a Man on the list only because so many people consider it a Data episode. Personally, even though Data was the subject of the hearing, I always thought of it as more of a Picard episode as it was Picard who gave the speeches and had the revelations. Data mostly was just there.

I like your suggestions for replacements. I would add the episode Sarek for consideration as well for the scenes when Picark and Sarek are in the mind-meld. Another possible entry is Starship Mine. I've always liked the episode. LOL I think the only season 1 episode I might include would be The Big Goodbye but I'd like that one more if it weren't for the "Wes saves the day" factor.

You are 100% CORRECT 'Sarek' should have made the list in a MAJOR WAY. Some of Patrick Stewart's best acting of the entire 7 seasons was no doubt was in that episode. Probably should go on the list even ahead of 'Tapestry'.

Edited by DaboGirl

Are we talking Picard Episodes or Picard Missions? If we are talking Missions (as the title of this thread suggests) then All Good Things, Yesterday's Enterprise, and Conspiracy shouldn't be on here since Picard was not handed down any orders by Starfleet. Good episodes, just not an actual mission.

Are we talking Picard Episodes or Picard Missions? If we are talking Missions (as the title of this thread suggests) then All Good Things, Yesterday's Enterprise, and Conspiracy shouldn't be on here since Picard was not handed down any orders by Starfleet. Good episodes, just not an actual mission.

Very true. If talking missions then most of the episodes on the list shouldn't be there so I think we need to talk episodes.

I would have addd Menage et Troi only because when he is doing shakespeare was so hilarious and the look on Picards face was priceless when she sat on his lap

Yesterdays Enterprise and Best of both Worlds are only marginally Picard episodes.

The Inner light is a Picard episode. so is Darmok, and Family. And also Tapestry and Captains Holiday. Starship Mine and Gambit are also Picard-centered.

I just did the old 'copy - paste' from the IGN story that was just hours old and simply added my comment below. Because I thought they had a few odd choices and few noteable omissions as well :lol: . Hence, I thought I would share.

Yesterdays Enterprise and Best of both Worlds are only marginally Picard episodes.

I have to disagree about BOBW. I agree it was not completely focused on Picard but of all the characters it was more a Picard episode than anyone else.

I just did the old 'copy - paste' from the IGN story that was just hours old and simply added my comment below. Because I thought they had a few odd choices and few noteable omissions as well :lol: . Hence, I thought I would share.

I, for one, am glad you did. It's always fun to discuss and dissect best episode lists.

I have to disagree about BOBW. I agree it was not completely focused on Picard but of all the characters it was more a Picard episode than anyone else.

I disagree. Although pivotal things happened to Picard, that was a Riker episode. We never really seen him in charge of the Enterprise before, and it came at a pivotal time in Riker's career. It was Riker's actions, not Picard, that saved Picard, the Enterprise, and ultimately the Federation. Picard wasn't in control of what was happening to him and, for the most part, was a bystander.

I agree BOBW was more Riker saving the federation so should be considered a good Riker command stategy.

I like Chain of Command because it shows how ruthless cardassians can be except they became less evil in DS9 but I loved Darmok

Darmok and Jillad at Tanagra

it was not completely focused on Picard but of all the characters it was more a Picard episode than anyone else.

More of a Borg episode really. And for almost the entire second part Picard is lost in Locutus or however we choose to put it. Of the main characters I think the dramatic weight of BoBW is focused on Riker right from the start. His rivallry with Shelby, and the pressure of having to take command. There is of course a struggle for Picard to reassert himself, but that is not the story presented to us. We like Riker and the other characters only see it from the outside.

The Battle and Lessons are two other episode that I think are Picard centered.

Though I am not sure if the survey is about adventures where Picard has a part (which would include most of TNG), or only episodes where Picard is the character the drama is focused on.

I just thought everyone here might find this interesting IGN has story up with what they consider to be the top 10 Picard episodes. A pretty good list, but no 'Drumhead'?

1. Chain of Command

2. The Best of Both Worlds

3. All Good Things...

4. The Inner Light

5. Darmok

6. Measure of a Man

7. Yesterday's Enterprise

8. Gambit

9. Conspiracy

10. Encounter at Farpoint

In my humble opinion 9 & 10 do not belong on this list. Replace them with Drumhead & Tapestry for 2 superior Picard episodes.

*finally finds some time to think about this* :drool: *is about to give one of her dreaded 'Jean-Luc speeches'* :cheers:

Let me see.

1) "Chain Of Command"

That's definitely a Jean-Luc episode. I may not watch it (I simply can't, it's too much) but I agree that it belongs onto this list.

2) "The Best Of Both Worlds"

Well, I think it's more a Locutus vs. Riker episode, and, in the end, it's definitely more of a Riker-centered episode. However, if we are also considering episodes that leave an impact on Jean-Luc in some major way, then this episode definitely belongs onto the list.

3)"All Good Things..."

Yeah, no question here. May not watch it, but it's definitely a Jean-Luc episode, from what I remember. Actually more a Jean-Luc vs. time vs. Q episode, but there's plenty of Jean-Luc in it, so... yeah. :drool:

4) "The Inner Light"

Absolutely no question here, that episode belongs onto the list, both as a Jean-Luc-centered episode and as an episode that leaves an impact on him in some major way. Besides, it's definitely one of the best TNG episodes ever. :drool:

5) "Darmok"

Well yeah, it's an episode that has lots of Jean-Luc in it... although I'd say it's more about trying to communicate with an alien that speaks a language one doesn't understand than an episode that tells us much about Jean-Luc's character. :drool:

6) "The Measure Of A Man"

That's actually more of a Data-centered episode IMO. Jean-Luc defends him from 'evil Maddox', yes, and his speech at the hearing is wonderful, but it's still more of a Data-centered episode.

7) "Yesterday's Enterprise"

Hmm... it's a great episode, sure, and it has quite a few Jean-Luc scenes in it, but is it really truly a Jean-Luc - centered episode? He isn't even the Jean-Luc we normally see. I mean he's an alternate time line Jean-Luc. :cheers: It's certainly a great episode, but if we're strictly talking about Jean-Luc - centered character episodes, I don't think this one belongs onto this list. Hmm.

8) "Gambit"

Hehe lots of Jean-Luc in this one, but he isn't really Jean-Luc, he's Galen, a smuggler. It's more a "Jean-Luc and Riker pwn evil smuggler guys" episode. But it does have many Jean-Luc scenes, that's true. And it tells us that he's a great actor. :)

9) "Conspiracy"

Let's see... the episode tells us a little about Jean-Luc's past, Walker Keel appears and Jean-Luc manages to uncover a conspiracy... but it's not actually an episode that has much character development for him or something. I'm not saying that it doesn't belong onto the list, but it would not be one of my first choices if I had to make a list.

10) "Encounter At Farpoint"

Ouch. No way. LOL. All that Jean-Luc is doing is being grumpy + yelling at Q. :drool: The episode introduces everyone, and Jean-Luc gets quite a bit of screen time (which is understandable because he's the captain of the new Enterprise and so on yadda yadda) but still, it's not actually an episode that offers much. It tells us what kind of captain he is, though. It's an okay episode, I actually don't think it's bad, but it's not an episode I'd pick for this list.

As for what episodes I would have picked... I'd have added "Time Squared" (LOTS of Jean-Luc in this one, it also tells us quite a bit about his character, how he's suddenly incapable of making decisions because he's faced with HIMSELF from the future as the only survivor of the Enterprise's destruction)...

And "Sarek", yes, that too.

"Starship Mine" as well, perhaps, it offers a whole new view on his character, it shows how much he loves his ship and how far he goes to protect it. :drool:

I also would have added "Suddenly Human". Jean-Luc facing a teenager that only listens to HIM and no one else and yet he has no idea how to get along with Jono... it's quite a nice episode, it shows how he first tries to hide from the whole "responsibility for a child" thingy and then how much he comes to like it.

no Tapestry? I'm always surprised that this episode gets over looked

I noticed Tapestry being left off the list right away and was fairly suprised as well.