Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Sony Captures 'Smurfs' For the Big Screen

From Zap2It:

With a combination of live-action and animation, the Smurfs are about to come to life on the big screen.

Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation have acquired film rights to the blue mushroom dwellers from Lafig Belgium. Jordan Kerner ("Charlotte's Web") is producing and "Shrek 2" and "Shrek the Third" screenwriters David Stem and David Weiss are in negotiations to write.

While most Americans became aware of the Smurfs when they starred in a Hanna-Barbera series that premiered in 1981, Belgian cartoonist Peyo actually introduced European audiences to the characters as far back as 1958.

In the animated series (and the comic), the peaceful and mostly industrious Smurfs were terrorized by the evil Gargamel, who wanted the three-apple-high critters for a variety of nefarious purposes.

"The Smurfs are one of the best-known franchises and among the most beloved collection of characters in the world," says Columbia President Doug Belgrad. "These classic characters have entertained millions of people and several generations all over the world for more than half a century. We're very excited to introduce a new generation to Papa Smurf, Smurfette and the other Smurfs in all of their 'three apple tall' glory."

The Hanna-Barbera cartoon ran for 256 episodes.

Sony's president of digital production Bob Osher adds, "Through Animation and Imageworks, our visual effects and character animation studio, we have an extraordinary capability to mix animation and live action having created a number of fully-realized CG characters in live action films from Stuart Little to Spider-Man 3. We couldn't be more delighted or excited about working together on The Smurfs motion picture."

Sony's official announcement of the project coincides with the company's licensing effort build around classic Smurf characters at this year's Licensing Show beginning today in New York.

I can think of someone here who loves Smurfs and should be quite happy about this.

well I thought the Chipmuck movie was gonna suck and I liked it

I wonder if Smurfette is gonna be hot in it, I wouldnit mind smurfing her! :laugh:

i wish they'd stop messing with the classic cartoons and turning them into some hybrid live action cgi combo.. some are good some are wrong.very very wrong. i'd wait for the dvd.save myself a couple of bucks..

Looks like it is slated to be released in December of 2010. Still a ways off, but I am actually looking forward to it.

I know that some people don't like the remakes of the older cartoons, but I actually enjoy many of them. It kinda serves as a way of making sure that they are not forgotten and allows another generation to get the joy from them that I did when I was growing up.