Sign in to follow this  
SeeingEyeBorg

Section 31 vs. the Tal Shiar

Section 31 vs. the Tal Shiar  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd outwit and destroy whom?

• Sloan and his homies
    • The guys who terrorize their own homies

I'm gonna go right ahead and say Section 31 would step all over the Tal Shiar. After watching that DS9 "Inter Arma" ep a couple of thousand times, I couldn't help but be impressed with Section 31's handiwork. Not to mention how they were willing infect Odo and simply exterminate his race (of which I didn't approve, but hey...like I said, you gotta stand up and salute that kind of dedication).

Another thing; Starfleet tends to be buddy-buddy with Section 31 whereas the Romulan military and the Tal Shiar hate each other's guts.

Section 31 as hardly anyone know they exist while everyone knows the Tal shiar exists and Section 31 is like a ghost you may think you have got them collared but then they have a escape planned.

I agree, Section 31 would win. Their technology and methods are superior and stealthier (if that is a word) whereas the Tal Shiar is more in-your-face.

I mean heck, Troi was able to impersonate a Tal Shiar. I don't know if a non-Federation race has ever tried to impersonate a Section 31 agent.

Section 31 absolutely. The Tal Shiar only seemed capable of terrorizing their own people.

When I posted this on another site, someone made the excellent argument that Section 31 had the advantage of not really being known, and covering up the proof of their existence quite well. In short, their method of secrecy was simply far more efficient.

Edited by SeeingEyeBorg

When I posted this on another site, someone made the excellent argument that Section 31 had the advantage of not really being known, and covering up the proof of their existence quite well. In short, their method of secrecy was simply far more efficient.

Thats exactly what I mentioned Section 31 do not exist to some people which makes it easier for them to take out the Tal Shiar

I would have to go with Section 31 simply because of the secrecy and the fact that officially they are not part of the Federation or Starfleet and that no one outside their organization are aware of their day to day actions and ultimately they answer to no one. This secrecy makes them much more dangerous since they cannot be held responsible for their actions by anyone, at least as a group, and if one of them is caught there is no way to prove that they are part of any organization and not acting on their own.

Has anyone read the Section 31 books for TOS, TNG , DS9 and Voy they are great.

The Ds9 and Voyager ones are better that the TOS and TNG one.

Don't forget, the head of the Tal Shiar works for Section 31.

Really? Where do you get that from?

I believe he's referring to the DS9: "Inter Arma Silent Leges" episode. But I thought Koval worked at the highest level of the government, not the Tal Shiar.

Sloan: "It's not news to me that the head of the Tal'Shiar is interested in biogenic weapons. Pull your head out the sand and take a look around, doctor. These are not nice people we're dealing with."

Above is a quote from Sloan to Bashir concerning Koval.

Really? Where do you get that from?

I believe he's referring to the DS9: "Inter Arma Silent Leges" episode. But I thought Koval worked at the highest level of the government, not the Tal Shiar.

Exactly the episode I had in mind.

Sloan: "It's not news to me that the head of the Tal'Shiar is interested in biogenic weapons. Pull your head out the sand and take a look around, doctor. These are not nice people we're dealing with."

Above is a quote from Sloan to Bashir concerning Koval.

Yeah, they identified him as the head of the Tal Shiar several times during the episode.

Exactly...Section 31 made Koval their biotch. :P

Seriously though, I still maintain that the Romulans are too backstabby and sneaky to get any real work done...the Romulan military and the Tal Shiar can barely stand each other as it is (I'm basing that info from the TNG episode "Face Of The Enemy", where the captain of Deanna's ship was very distrustful of her being a member of the Tal Shiar).

Section 31, on the other hand, gave the founders a fatal strain of herpes...top THAT, Tal Shiar! :innocent:

I never even really liked the Sloan episodes all that much (the one where Julian and Miles went into his mind in the 7th season) :lol:

That being said, Sloan still seemed like one bad mother.

The Tal Shiar seemed a bit less on top of thier game. Although thier screen time was more enjoyable than Sloan.

Exactly...Section 31 made Koval their biotch. :notworthy:

Seriously though, I still maintain that the Romulans are too backstabby and sneaky to get any real work done...the Romulan military and the Tal Shiar can barely stand each other as it is (I'm basing that info from the TNG episode "Face Of The Enemy", where the captain of Deanna's ship was very distrustful of her being a member of the Tal Shiar).

Section 31, on the other hand, gave the founders a fatal strain of herpes...top THAT, Tal Shiar! :D

LO-freakin'-L..."I'll have you ejected into space, Subcommander! Is that clear?" ^_^

That being said, Sloan still seemed like one bad mother.

Oh, yeah...well said!

Edited by Takara_Soong

Section 31 pwns n00bs, while the Tal Shiar just seemed pretty inefficient. Now I just hope I won't suddenly "disappear" for saying that. Poo.

In terms of rescources, and assets, I would think that S-31 might have the upperhand there...more sytems to tap into for recruitment, a wide variety of species with various skillsets, and abilities....Betazoids, for ex....and from what non-canon views I have of UFP territory, it's definitely greater than the Empire's....the latest Enterprise novel gives us another glimpse into the world of Harris' contemporaries...as a certain character works behind-the-scenes with them to stop the Romulan threat of the 2100's..but, to me, in terms of sheer ferocity....the Tal Shiar is right up there. S31 may be willing to push the limits-but, at their core, they were brought about by a socially-evolving postwar Earth culture, and there has to be something said for relative 'human values'. so to speak....the Romulans have little at all compunctions to me by comparison. And they have beem at their game no doubt since the Empire was founded, a LONG time back...