Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Playstation 3 Draws More Power Than A Refrigerator

PlayStation 3 Draws More Power Than a Refrigerator

by Tim Stevens, posted Jun 4th 2008 at 10:18AM

We've known for awhile now that the PlayStation 3 (PS3) is hardly a green machine -- it sucks down 200-watts of electricity whether it's playing a movie or just idling at the home menu waiting for you to boot up a game. Sometimes, though, it's hard to put that into context. An Australian consumer group has taken the time to do a little figuring against various other household items, and has found that your PS3 draws more current than an average refrigerator -- five times as much.

Of course, the PS3 is making waves as being one of the cheapest Blu-ray players on the market, not to mention the huge added benefit of being able to play next-generation video games. But that 200-watts power draw is also four- to five-times that of a standalone Blu-ray player, which over the course of a year could add up if you watch a lot of movies. Microsoft's Xbox 360 is slightly better with a power consumption at about about three quarters of the PS3, but Nintendo's Wii comes in first by drawing only a tenth of the power of a PS3.

So, not only can the Wii get you in shape, it can also save you money on your utilities bill. [source: Intology]

Wow! I had no idea!

Why am i not surprised that the monstrosity of a PS3 drains so much power. I have never been a fan of the ps3. but I'm glad the Wii console burns less energy Unless of course the person using the WII is making energy for it when there playing it.

its sony, what do you expect lol

im glad im never going to get a PS3!

Edited by DATA2007

What I don't get about the article is that, for the machine to be idle, are they leaving it on and not playing with it? If so, what a surprise it drains energy. What about flipping a switch and turning it off?

I've suspected this because I have a box fan that I use and when there's more of a power drain the fan runs slower then when there's little power drain. Ever since I plugged the PS3 in to the same room as the fan the fan runs slower. I'll have to unplug the PS3 and see if it makes a difference.

We've known for awhile now that the PlayStation 3 (PS3) is hardly a green machine -- it sucks down 200-watts of electricity whether it's playing a movie or just idling at the home menu waiting for you to boot up a game. Sometimes, though, it's hard to put that into context. An Australian consumer group has taken the time to do a little figuring against various other household items, and has found that your PS3 draws more current than an average refrigerator -- five times as much.

Um... what? Unless you have the newest, most energy-efficient refrigerator available, the average fridge uses about 600 watts. It may have been a while since I've been in a math class, but that seems to be three times as much, not five times less than, the PS3.