Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ddillard

Moments of Pride

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to post pics to not only remind us of moments when we felt moments of pride but also to share with the rest of the community the moments that have made us the most proud.

I will start off.

Two years ago I watched my niece walk across the stage at my old high school to get her high school dipoloma. This was a moment that filled me with such pride for her accomplishment. She may not have been the highest in her class but to me she was the only person on that football field that mattered.

100_0398.jpg

Becoming a mother.

My mom holding Rachael in the hospital room

0427081256.jpg

In labor with Paul

labor.jpg

0421081544.jpg

Most of you have seen this before but let me explain the significance.

When I joined the board for my accounting society chapter we were in a funk. Many expected we would either die out soon or be folded into another chapter. (Some people even wanted this to happen.) About a year later I ended up becoming president of the chapter. I had only been a member for about 2 years and didn't think I was ready. However, we ended up becoming the 6th highest ranking chapter out of about 200 chapters across the country. After that we knew we wouldn't die, but there were still rumors we might be merged with another. I reluctantly agreed to be president again the next year.

That next year we were the # 1 chapter in the entire organization. This picture is of me giving my acceptance speech at our annual convention, which that year was in Las Vegas. My speech was a tale of how far our chapter had come in a short time. Some of the audience got a little misty-eyed and I got a standing ovation. We were # 1 the next year as well, and we might end up being # 1 again this year, but nothing will beat that first time.

post-754-1212452007.jpg

Institute of Management Accountants Annual Dinner, June 21, 2006

Three days ago I had the privilege of watching another Dillard receive his High School diploma from the same school where I graduated. This time it was my oldest nephew who took the walk. I was extremely proud of him as he had to work very hard to get this achievement. Many people take a high school graduation lightly, but how many things in your life require 13 years to achieve? I still have one more nephew who will walk the stage of the same football field in another five years.

PICT1905.JPG

So that really is you Roy. While you had that pic set as your avatar I thought it was of Tom Hanks and wondered if it was some kind of (sick) joke I could not get having never seen that film. Anyway, congratulations to you and everyone else.

A recent moment of pride for me was when my wife and I finally managed to break our daughter out of that early teen angst period. She now understands we are not the enemy and our socializations together are back on track.

A recent moment of pride for me was when my wife and I finally managed to break our daughter out of that early teen angst period. She now understands we are not the enemy and our socializations together are back on track.

Most people would consider that a miracle.

Not exactly a moment, but something I'm proud of. My grandfather was an engineer during the Apollo missions and this is his medallion for working on the Apollo 11 mission. Also, if you've seen Apollo 13, the scene where they're trying to keep the earth in the window while burning the engines, my grandfather worked on those engines.

stuff_011.jpg

stuff_010.jpg