Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Man Jailed When Daughter Fails To Get Diploma

Man jailed when daughter fails to get diploma

By LISA CORNWELL,AP

Posted: 2008-05-13 07:14:15

CINCINNATI (AP) - A man ordered by a judge to make sure his daughter hit the books has found himself in jail because she failed to earn a high school equivalency diploma.

Brian Gegner, of Fairfield, was sentenced last week to 180 days in jail for contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a minor.

He was ordered months ago to make sure his 18-year-old daughter Brittany Gegner, who has a history of truancy, received her GED - something that hasn't happened yet.

Brittany Gegner, who said Monday that she plans to take a required GED test this month, said her father shouldn't be blamed for her failure because she has been living with her mother.

"It was my wrongdoing, not his," said Brittany Gegner, whose fiance and 18-month-old daughter also live at her mother's home in nearby Hamilton. "He shouldn't have to go to jail for something I did."

Her mother agrees.

"Brittany is almost 19 years old now and I think it's unfair to put her father in jail," said Shana Roach. "She's an adult now, and it's not right to rip an innocent man from his home."

Butler County Juvenile Court administrator Rob Clevenger Jr. said Monday that the court still has jurisdiction in the case because Brittany Gegner was a juvenile when the truancy problems began and when the charge against Brian Gegner was filed in 2007.

A hearing on a motion filed by Brian Gegner's attorney to reconsider the sentence is scheduled for Friday. Messages seeking comment were not returned Monday at the offices of defense attorney Tamara Sack and the Butler County prosecutor.

Brian Gegner's wife, Stephanie Gegner, said she and her husband are afraid he will lose his job if he remains in jail. She said they tried to keep his daughter in school.

"You'd take her to school and she'd go out the other door," Stephanie Gegner said.

Surely a daughter anyone would be proud of........ B)

UPDATE:

Father jailed over daughter's truancy to be freed

AP

Posted: 2008-05-16 14:20:52

HAMILTON, Ohio (AP) - A judge says he will release a man who was jailed last week for failing to make sure his daughter earned her high school equivalency diploma.

Butler County Juvenile Court Judge David Niehaus's decision Friday would let Brian Gegner out of jail if his 18-year-old daughter Brittany attends a GED preparatory class and schedules the test before the next court date.

Gegner received a 180-day sentence for contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a minor.

He had been ordered months ago to make sure his daughter, who has a history of truancy, received her GED - something that hasn't happened yet. His daughter has said it's not fair that her father was punished for her behavior.

I really don't see how it is right for him to be jailed for his daughter not receiving her diploma, now that she is legally an adult. I think that if they had jailed him before she turned 18 it would have been different, but not now.