Sign in to follow this  
SeeingEyeBorg

Vulcans vs. Romulans

Vulcans vs. Romulans  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd win?

• Vulcans
    • Romulans

In VOY: "Death Wish", Q makes a reference to a 100-year war between the Vulcans and the Romulans (which, if you guys recall, was caused by another Q's suicide attempt). I've looked and looked to find out more about this war, and the only place I haven't searched are the books. So...who do you guys think would win? If Romulans and Vulcans, in their military prime and devoid of external help (yeah, 'cause Romulans would never break that rule *snort*) went to all-out, knock-down-drag-out, no holds barred war, who'd wipe the floor with whom?

I'll start: Vulcans.

The Vulcan's may be able to pull off an upset but I don't see much evidence for their battle worthiness so I'm going to say Romulans.

Romulans would win. They can be more cunning whereas Vulcans can't lie - something that hurts you in a military situation. Also, Vulcans may be better at predicting what logical and rational beings may do in a given situation, but aren't so good at predicting non-rational beings.

The Romulans' ruthlessness would be the deciding factor. They would win hands down.

See, that's what I was thinking. Victory would be logical. Ergo, they would do everything Vulcanly (and un-Vulcanly) possible to embrace the logic of victory.

When would the "military prime" have been for the Vulcans? Before or after they embraced Surek's teachings? Before or after the Kir'Shara was discovered?

It seems that there wasn't much difference between the Romulans and Vulcans before the Vulcans embraced Surek's true writings. With that in mind, I think it would be a stand-off with no clear winner IMO.

Use your imaginations, y'all. 24th century Romulans vs. Vulcans. While Vulcans are said be pacifist, I seriously doubt they would sit back and let the Romulans wipe out their species.

Vulcans would win. Treachery and conniving ways do not always carry the day. Strength of character and perserverence also count for something.

I personally think the romulans would win for two reasons.

1. Vulcans will rely more on logical attacks that would strike while Romulans will use inititve which Vulcans tend not to use.

2. Romulans are better strategists than Vulcans.

The Romulans' ruthlessness would be the deciding factor. They would win hands down.

Agreed

I personally think the romulans would win for two reasons.

1. Vulcans will rely more on logical attacks that would strike while Romulans will use inititve which Vulcans tend not to use.

2. Romulans are better strategists than Vulcans.

I tend to agree, if it's just Romulan vs. Vulcan I think the Romulans would come out on top simply because they do allow their emotions to drive them and when it comes to war emotions can play a big part in winning. Lack of emotion can play a big part in losing.

I can't help but notice that Vulcans are logical...to an extent. And Vulcans don't lie...to an extent. And Vulcans are trustworthy pacifists...to an extent (remember all the surveillance equipment under the monastery at P'Jem?). Why? Because they are a proud and often cynical race. They would never sit back and let themselves be butchered by the Romulans. If fleets of Romulan warbirds suddenly headed their way, that would be the day Surak's teachings would suddenly go on vacation.

Romulans are also a bit more cowardly and more treacherous, as has been pointed out. We've found in Trek movie/episode after Trek movie/episode that these two traits tend to be the downfall of the bad guys. Which Romulan commander do you know will willingly die for his/her crew? If the war takes even the slightest bad turn and blame has to be assigned, how long before the Tal Shiar and the military start stabbing each other in the back?

Edited by SeeingEyeBorg

I think 24th century Romulans would defeat 24th century Vulcans. Each group in their prime is where I think it would be more difficult to pick a winner as I don't think 24th century Vulcans would be considered their prime in terms of being warriors.

Another advantage that 24th century Romulans have is in their ships. We certainly didn't see very many Vulcan ships on TNG so it's difficult to judge but I would think that the Romulans would be equipped more for battle than Vulcan ships. Plus the Romulans have the advantage of the cloaking device.

Yes but how many Vulcans are going to be Romulan spys we saw it in Data's Day when that Vulcan was actually a romulan spy all they have to do is have a good position on a ship for example engineering and then clow up the warp core and bye bye another Vulcan ship. And I don't think a romulan would care much of his own life if he is fighting for the romulan empire

Vulcans. They just act innocent, but they can pull a couple of nasties if they get "testy".

Vulcans all the way...the Romulans would eventually get so paranoid they'd stab each other in the back to the point where they killed themselves off.