Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

REBOOT STAR TREK

I saw this topic at TrekBBS and thought it would make for a good topic here as well. Do you think Trek as a whole should get a "reboot" and be modernised?

My answer is NO. When you have comics and stuff or stand alone movies, remakes and retellings are bound to happen. However, the reason why I love Trek and would never watch a remake is becuase the story goes on. When one show, movie, or series of movies ends, you can go on with new adventures and a new crew. I also don't want a Trek series that would get all pollitical and story arcs about Earth and all that. For me, STAR TREK is about a human crew with some aliens on a starship, explorring the cosmos, and telling great science-fiction stories in the process along with some interresting moral and ethical situations. To me, that is what STAR TREK is all about. I feel a re-make or reboot would totally destroy this.

My big question is: Why do a reboot or remake when you can do a continuation?

Also, who cares if continuity is off in the long run as long as it's intact within a TV series or group of movies. When you have a franchise as big as Trek, there's bound to be inconsistancies between series. It happens.

Anywho, what are your thoughts on this topic?

Stardate:213674.9

I dont think a remake would be an especially good idea.Like you said Star Trek is a continuing story and a remake would ruin this

Two similar threads merged here - AE

A friend of mine came up with the idea of rebooting the STAR TREK franchise, much like what is done in the "comic book" genre.

So, are you for a reboot of the franchise or against it?

Personally, I'm against the franchise for two reasons:

1. Once a franchise expands as large as Trek has, why reboot it? Just becuase something's old, doesn't mean it isn't good anymore. People need to learn to appreciate entertainment that isn't new and flashy.

2. If the Trek universe were "rebooted", that would mean that the "existing" Trek universe would never get further stories, and this would tick me off.

Edited by Alterego

Rebooting, if you mean negating everything that has been done so far in Trek, is a really bad idea. There has been too many years of good stories, characters, etc. just to delete them all and start over at the beginning.

Or maybe I don't understand the concept? :assimilated:

Rebooting, if you mean negating everything that has been done so far in Trek, is a really bad idea.  There has been too many years of good stories, characters, etc. just to delete them all and start over at the beginning. 

Or maybe I don't understand the concept? :assimilated:

Yes, rebooting as in ignorring all that is established. VERY BAD IDEA.

It seems to me that what you're talking about wouldn't even be the same series. It wouldn't be Star Trek at all. If you want a different story about the same time period, that's fine. But we already know what happened to the Enterprise, Kirk, Picard, etc. You can't just go changing things now.

Stardate:213753.3

I think it is a very very bad idea.If that happened i think it would be the end of star trek as we know it.Not a good idea at all

:look: OMG, very very bad! Not only would it ruin Star Trek but why would it be needed? There's a massive galaxy out there and whole era's of time that have not been investigated.

I have to admit given the success of the new BG the idea may hold some merit but it'd be a very square pill to swallow. I'd rather the owners just put some real sweat equity into creating bigger better more competitive Trek in the same universe we all know and love.

Any more opinions on this subject?

I have to admit given the success of the new BG the idea may hold some merit

Is BG really successful? I'm shocked. People will watch anything these days!

As for a Trek reboot, I agree with the majority here. It would be a travesty to ignore all of the Trek that has come before. Like someone else said, there are several missing gaps in the Trek timeline that can be explored. 2 examples are the time between the end of TOS and TMP and the time between Kirk's time and Picard's.

Apparently rebooting the Original Series is J. M. Straczynski's idea for series 6. I agree it is a very bad idea. It works for BSG because it had no spinoffs, nothing to connect to.

I would hate for the convoluted continuity of comic books to take hold in Star Trek.

I personally would be against it,but rebooting the franchise (starting all over) may not fail as badly as some of us think.Many comic book publishers regularly (about every 10 to 15) years "reboot" an iconic character like Superman,Batman,or Spider-man...sometimes it works,sometimes it blows up in their faces.Fans are fickle....you never know what the fanbase will do or think.

Well,yeah...I meant the whole fanbase.

Have you ever met some of the nuts at startrek.com's message boards? :rolleyes:

There's never any telling what they'd think or do....

I saw this topic at TrekBBS and thought it would make for a good topic here as well.  Do you think Trek as a whole should get a "reboot" and be modernised?

My answer is NO.  When you have comics and stuff or stand alone movies, remakes and retellings are bound to happen.  However, the reason why I love Trek and would never watch a remake is becuase the story goes on.  When one show, movie, or series of movies ends, you can go on with new adventures and a new crew.  I also don't want a Trek series that would get all pollitical and story arcs about Earth and all that.  For me, STAR TREK is about a human crew with some aliens on a starship, explorring the cosmos, and telling great science-fiction stories in the process along with some interresting moral and ethical situations.  To me, that is what STAR TREK is all about.  I feel a re-make or reboot would totally destroy this.

My big question is: Why do a reboot or remake when you can do a continuation?

Also, who cares if continuity is off in the long run as long as it's intact within a TV series or group of movies.  When you have a franchise as big as Trek, there's bound to be inconsistancies between series.  It happens.

Anywho, what are your thoughts on this topic?

69373[/snapback]

They already did that- its a tv show called

Gene Roddenberry's ANDROMEDA

It just finished a 5-season run: better then either Enterprise or TOS Star Trek and equal to Babylon-5.

Apparently rebooting the Original Series is J. M. Straczynski's idea for series 6. I agree it is a very bad idea. It works for BSG because it had no spinoffs, nothing to connect to.

I would hate for the convoluted continuity of comic books to take hold in Star Trek.

337350[/snapback]

Well...

The reason it worked for Battlestar Galactica is because the original was so friggin aweful. Ronald Moore took the ideas that worked, chucked what didn't, and made a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

By contrast, the original Star Trek is one of the greatest television shows ever produced, right up there with Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Seinfeld, M*A*S*H, Roots (miniseries), and the Sopranos.