Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Season 4

If there had've been a Season 4 of TOS would it have been good? I mean, season 3 was dubbed by the critics as not being as good as seasons 1 and 2. I thought that it was all right and a bit more fun though, with the hippies etc. It was silly but fun. Apparently there were budgeting issues and so forth so they had to cut things and spend less on props and costumes and so forth. Some of the writers also didn't put as much thought into scripts so we ended up with episodes like Spock's Brain. I often think would Season 4 have been any better or worse? What could we have expected?

If the budgeting was still cut, there would probably have been little difference in Season 4 than what we saw in Season 3.

Season 3 was terrible, it was almost as if Seasons 1 & 2 came from a completely different writing staff.. So if season 3 was at its finest momments "fun", then season 4 probably would have made Start Trek into a joke.

As much as I hate to admit to Shattner being right about anything, he was most certainly right when he said "Being canceled was the best thing that ever happened to Star Trek."

I agree. TOS was heading downhill in season 3, the trend would most likely have continued into season 4, unless by some miracle it had started gaining a lot more viewers, in which case the budget and overall quality might have improved. But that didn't happen, so...

It was the right move to cancel it and concentrate on another series or a different media, which eventually became TAS and the movies. 30 or so years later most people don't remember what episode was in what season and take it as simply one package with some bad episodes mixed in.

The other shows had "defining points" where they got their "space legs" and became a viable series. For TNG it was Best of Both Worlds. For DS9 it was when they got the Defiant, Sisko became a Captain and shaved his head and got new uniforms, and for VOY it was 7 of 9 coming aboard. (Mmm, implants.) TOS, TAS, and ENT never really had those defining moments.

I think TNG got its legs starting with season 3, when they got rid of those one piece uniforms, darkened the sets a bit, and went with better script writing. However, Best of Both Worlds Part 1 was the defining moment of TNG.

I agree with TOS not having any defining moments, but I honestly don't think it needed them. It wasn't good sci-fi, like the other series, because it was more meant to be political commentary (and pretty funny sometimes). A lot of that was lost in the third season; they were writing it to keep it going rather than writing to make a point, which was what made it so great in the first place. If there had been a fourth season that continued on that route, it probably would have been terrible.

I think a season 4 would have been a bad idea since TOS went downhill in season 3. But come to think of it TAS could have used the voices of the real characters which may have made that more watchable