Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Kids do the darndest things

Teen Derails Trains With Hacked TV Remote

Posted Jan 14th 2008 4:21PM by Terrence O'Brien

Filed under: Audio/Video, TV

Kids do the darnedest things sometimes. Take the 14-year-old from Lodz, Poland, who hacked a television remote control to manipulate his city's tram system, thereby derailing four trams, and injuring 12 people. Little rapscallion, what can you do?

Apparently charge him with endangering public safety and drag him before a juvenile court. Or at least that's what the court in Lodz did in the case of its teenage resident, who managed figure out how to interfere with the infrared pulses that control the tram system's switches.

In effect, the boy modified a television remote and turned the city's public transportation system in to his own personal Lionel set -- is that brilliant, or just plain wrong?

Absolutely brilliant..........and scary!... :laugh:

Boy Charged With Killing His Family

By KASEY JONES,AP

Posted: 2008-02-03 23:05:17

Filed Under: Crime News, Nation News

COCKEYSVILLE, Md. (Feb. 3) - A 15-year-old boy fatally shot his parents and two younger brothers as they slept, then spent more than 12 hours with friends before returning home and calling 911 to report that his father was dead, police said Sunday.

Police went to their suburban Baltimore home and later charged Nicholas Waggoner Browning after he admitted to the slayings, Baltimore County Police spokesman Bill Toohey said.

Browning was charged as an adult with four counts of first-degree murder in the slayings of his father, John Browning, 45; his mother Tamara, 44; and his brothers Gregory, 13, and Benjamin, 11.

The teen had not been getting along with his father, police said. On Friday night, he went into the house after other family members had gone to sleep and shot each of them. His father's handgun had been in the house, police said.

After the slayings, he threw the handgun into bushes near the house, police said. The gun was recovered, Toohey said.

When the friends took him back to his house at 5 p.m. Saturday, Browning went into the house and came back out to say that his father was dead.

Browning called 911, telling the dispatcher that a "45-year-old male was lying on the couch with blood coming out of his nose. He was not breathing," according to charging documents. Officers were sent on a "call of a cardiac arrest."

Police said Browning's father was found in a ground-floor room and his mother and brothers were dead in upstairs bedrooms. There was no sign of a confrontation, Toohey said.

The tall, gangly sophomore at Dulaney High School in neighboring Timonium was denied bail; a bail review hearing was scheduled Monday. He was being held at the Baltimore County Detention Center in a special section for juveniles.

Toohey said he didn't know if Browning had a lawyer.

Even if convicted as an adult of first-degree murder, Browning is too young under state law to face the death penalty.

Two of Browning's classmates drove past the family's house Sunday afternoon and wept when they learned from reporters that he was charged in the slayings.

"It's hard to believe someone could do this," Brooke Kebaugh, 16, said.

Liz Lazlawbach, 17, said Browning complained about fighting with his father, but "not about anything violent."

The grounds of the two-story home were neat and neighbor Mike Thomas said the Brownings would even pick up trash along the street. "These people would do anything in the world for you — just incredible people," Thomas said.

Neighbors called each other throughout the night to discuss the killings, Thomas said. He said one of his sons had been in Boy Scouts with one of the Brownings' sons and was devastated when he learned of the deaths.

About 50 people — mostly teenagers — gathered for a candlelight vigil in front of the Brownings house Sunday night. The crowd stood in silence for about ten minutes. Some cried.

John Thibeault said his son Kyle went to school with Benjamin and they were both "traumatized" by the deaths. He said his family locked their doors Saturday night, fearing a killer was on the loose.

Thibeault described Nicholas Browning as "just a regular, normal kid."

John Browning was a partner in the law firm of Royston, Mueller, McLean & Reid in Towson, focusing on real estate law and commercial and corporate law.

The partners said Browning was an accomplished lawyer.

"He was also a person invested in his family and community," the partners said. "He led his local scout troop. He was a leader at his church. In short, John Browning was a great man. We will all miss him very, very much."

The Brownings' Boy Scout unit, Troop 328, meets at Timonium United Methodist Church.

The Rev. Frances Dailey said Sunday that the troop's leaders did not want to talk. He said John Browning was "beloved and well revered. I'm told this is not the kind of family that this could happen to."

Counselors were to be available Monday to meet with students at Dulaney High, said Charles Herndon, a county school spokesman. He declined to say where Browning's younger brothers went to school.

As soon as this story broke on the local news yesterday, I remember thinking to myself that the kid who called 911 was probably the killer.......

Ten year old tries to rob store with a rock

Posted Mar 27th 2008 3:30PM by Angie Felton

Filed under: 10-12 years, Exploring, In the News

From the What Were They Thinking?! files comes this story out of Franklin Tennessee.

Much like the three little pigs, a ten-year-old girl decided it was time to make her own way in the world.

Only instead telling her parents her plan and building a house out of bricks or sticks, she ran away one night after her parents were asleep.

The girl set out to seek her fortune at a nearby convenience store around midnight, pulling out a baseball sized rock she used to hit the clerk in the chest while demanding money from the cash register.

The clerk was so stunned by the surprise attack, she had to repeat her demands three times before he gathered his wits enough to tell her to leave, at which point she got scared and fled.

The clerk, who was no big bad wolf, called the police out of concern that a girl that young was out alone that late at night.

According to police, the girl appears to be well taken care of and has a stable home life. Speculation is that she'll be grounded until she's sixty and has hair growing from her chinny chin chin for this little stunt.

:laugh:

Cops Say 3rd-Graders Plotted Attack

By RUSS BYNUM,AP

Posted: 2008-04-01 22:42:47

Filed Under: Crime News, Nation News

WAYCROSS, Ga. (April 1) - A group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward, police said Tuesday.

The plot involving as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said.

School officials alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had brought a weapon to school. Tanner said the students apparently planned to knock the teacher unconscious with a crystal paperweight, bind her with the handcuffs and tape and then stab her with the knife.

"We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely," Tanner said. "We feel like if they weren't interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don't know."

The children, ages 8 to 10, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said.

Two of the students were arrested on juvenile charges Tuesday and a third arrest was expected. District Attorney Rick Currie said other students told investigators they didn't take the plot seriously or insisted they had decided not to participate.

"Some of the kids said, `We thought they were just kidding,"' Currie said. "Another child was supposed to bring a toy pistol, and he told a detective he didn't bring it because he thought he would get in trouble."

Currie said the children are too young to be charged as adults, and probably too young to be sentenced to a youth detention center.

Police seized a steak knife with a broken handle, steel handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and the paperweight from the students, Tanner said.

Currie said he decided to seek juvenile charges against two girls, ages 9 and 10, who brought the knife and paperweight and an 8-year-old boy who brought tape. He said all three students faced charges of conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, and both girls were being charged with bringing weapons to school.

Nine children have been given discipline up to and including long-term suspension, said Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school system. She would not be more specific but said none of the children had been back to school since the case came to light.

The purported target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities, including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

The scheme involved a division of roles, Tanner said. One child's job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, he said. Another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

"We're not sure at this point in the investigation how many of the students actually knew the intent was to hurt the teacher," Tanner said.

He said the teacher told detectives the children involved weren't known as troublemakers.

"You can't dismiss it," Tanner said. "But because they are kids, they may have thought this was like a cartoon - we do whatever and then she stands up and she's OK. That's a hard call."

The parents of the students have cooperated with investigators, who aren't allowed to question the children without their parents' or guardians' consent, he said. Authorities have withheld the children's names.

Martin told The Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville, Fla., that administrators would follow school system policy and state law in disciplining the students.

"From what I understand, they were considered pretty good kids," Martin said. "But we have to take this seriously, whether they were serious or not about carrying this through, and that's what we did."

Four mothers of other third-grade students at Center Elementary called for the immediate expulsion of the suspected plotters.

Stacy Carter and Deana Hiott both cited school system policy stating that any student who brings "anything reasonably considered to be a weapon" is to be expelled for at least the remainder of the school year.

"We don't want our children around them," Carter told the Times-Union. "The one with the knife could have stabbed my child or someone else's child at lunch or out on the playground."

"This is an isolated incident, an aberration. ... We have good kids," Center Principal Angie Coleman told the newspaper.

3rd grade?.....whats that.....about 8 years old???...........WHAT is this world coming to?..... :tribble:

I cannot believe that these kids are doing these things. You can't tell me it's because of Television or video games. This is unbeleivable, and as Rush puts it in 'Far Cry' 'It’s a far cry from the world we thought we’d inherit

It’s a far cry from the way we thought we’d share it.'

Man Threatens Mom With Knife After Xbox 360 Dies

by Tim Stevens, posted Apr 16th 2008 at 5:54PM

Lots and lots of gamers out there have been more than a little irritated by the Xbox 360's rather consistent problems with the so-called red ring of death. The bane of many a gamer's existence, the three red rings have been appearing after a few months (or years) after the Xbox is purchased and indicate that the console no longer works.

Microsoft did extend the warranty (twice) and is fixing the problem for free, but that wasn't enough for one hardcore gamer in Fort Pierce, Florida, who couldn't wait the 30 days for the repair. He demanded his mother order him a new one and, when she refused, threatened her with a knife.

The man, 19-year-old Roman White, had just been released from jail the previous Sunday, and is already back behind bars on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

:wow:

Teen Busted for 'Gangsta Grandma' Video

AP

Posted: 2008-04-23 19:51:43

Filed Under: Nation News

LAKE WORTH, Fla. (April 23) - A Florida teenager faces a charge of elder abuse alleging he made his senile grandmother wear a black mask and hold a handgun for a video he made.

Police in Lake Worth, Fla., say the 85-year-old woman is seen and heard on the video threatening to shoot "all the pigs."

Authorities say 18-year-old Michael Alfinez was arrested Monday and charged with abusing an elderly person, discharging a firearm in public and improper exhibition of a dangerous weapon.

Palm Beach County sheriff's detectives seized the video during a traffic stop in January.

The teen's mother says it's all just a misunderstanding.

....and the kid's mother defends him....... :blink:

Police say Florida boy, 7, stole SUV and left path of damage

AP

Posted: 2008-04-26 11:20:23

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (AP) - Police say a 7-year-old South Florida boy faces grand theft auto charges after taking his grandmother's Dodge Durango for a joyride. The eight minute trek left a swath of damage in his Palm Beach Gardens neighborhood Friday. The boy smashed mailboxes, hit parked cars and signposts. He was unhurt.

Police said he literally drove until a wheel fell off. The right front wheel, to be exact, which broke off after the boy hit a sign.

The boy's mother said he apparently grabbed the keys to his grandmother's sport utility vehicle, backed it out of her driveway, and took off.

Police spokeswoman Ellen Lovejoy said the boy is unlikely to be prosecuted. They arrested him so he can get some help, noting the excursion was "unusual behavior for a 7-year-old."

:angry:

Teen Busted for 'Gangsta Grandma' Video

AP

Posted: 2008-04-23 19:51:43

Filed Under: Nation News

LAKE WORTH, Fla. (April 23) - A Florida teenager faces a charge of elder abuse alleging he made his senile grandmother wear a black mask and hold a handgun for a video he made.

Police in Lake Worth, Fla., say the 85-year-old woman is seen and heard on the video threatening to shoot "all the pigs."

Authorities say 18-year-old Michael Alfinez was arrested Monday and charged with abusing an elderly person, discharging a firearm in public and improper exhibition of a dangerous weapon.

Palm Beach County sheriff's detectives seized the video during a traffic stop in January.

The teen's mother says it's all just a misunderstanding.

....and the kid's mother defends him....... :angry:

I didn't know "improper display" was itself a crime.

Police spokeswoman Ellen Lovejoy said the boy is unlikely to be prosecuted. They arrested him so he can get some help, noting the excursion was "unusual behavior for a 7-year-old."

:angry:

That was probably the smart thing. I don't even know if a 7-year old *can* be charged with grand theft auto, but this will force the kid to get some needed attention.

12-year-old Arkansas boy faces drunken-driving charge

AP

Posted: 2008-05-19 03:40:40

HARTMAN, Ark. (AP) - An Arkansas preteen faces a drunken-driving charge after he and a friend drank his parents' beer, "got liquored up" and crashed his stepfather's pickup truck, the Johnson County sheriff said.

Sheriff Jimmy Dorney said the 12-year-old boy and his 10-year-old friend drove off in the truck May 4 to find a girl they met at a rodeo. The boys made it about 10 miles before the 12-year-old lost control of the truck.

Dorney said the truck hit and jumped over a guardrail, sending it careening 50 feet down a steep hill into a forest.

Clark James, 46, who lives down the road from the crash site, said he answered the boys' banging at his front door with shotgun in hand about 2:30 a.m.

"I opened the door and the first thing (the 12-year-old) said to me was, 'I'm drunk and I had a wreck,"' James said. "I looked at him and I thought 'You're kind of young to be out drinking. And you sure shouldn't be driving."'

Neither boy was seriously injured in the crash. County prosecutor Bruce Wilson said that he will charge the 12-year-old boy with drunken driving and several other misdemeanor charges in district and juvenile court in Johnson County.

Wilson said the 12-year-old could face a variety of sanctions ranging from probation, to court-mandated community service and alcohol rehabilitation, to commitment to the state Department of Human Services Division of Youth Services.

In addition, James bets that both Johnson County boys are grounded for life.

"If not, then they should be," he said.

I ccould just hear the theme to "Deliverence" while reading this........ :laugh:

Teen arrested for serving her mom salt

by Sandy Maple May 23rd 2008 2:00PM

Categories: Teens & tweens, Health & safety, Eating & nutrition, Medical conditions, Mealtime

I remember once when I was about twelve years old I got mad at my mother and kicked her. Right in the shin. The regret set in the moment my foot made contact with her leg. I don't remember my punishment, but the guilt I felt over assaulting the woman who gave me life stayed with me for a long time. She totally did not deserve that.

I am not proud of kicking my mother, but my momentary loss of control pales in comparison to what this 16-year-old Florida girl is accused of doing to her mother. It seems that her 39-year-old mom is allergic to many foods and carries an EpiPen with her at all times. After eating some food seasoned with salt, she had a severe reaction and became so ill she couldn't inject herself with the EpiPen, which would prevent her from entering anaphylactic shock. Teen daughter to the rescue! She took over and gave her mother the injection herself.

Except, it turns out that the salt was in the food because the teenager had intentionally put it there. Her 11-year-old little sister says she saw her do it and was afraid to speak up because big sis threatened to "beat her up until she was dead." Not only that, family members say this isn't the first time the girl has spiked her mother's food.

The teen doesn't deny it and tells police she just so unhappy at home and that her mom is always making her do chores and stuff. Plus, she took away her cell phone! Of course, now that she's been sent to juvenile detention and charged with aggravated domestic violence, she is very sorry. Tell it to the judge, sister.

Just read all of these and I'm shocked and I'm glad they have only happened in america and not in England but then again looking at the pwper someday I wonder which is worse.

Man accused of hitting mom with Polish sausage

AP

Posted: 2008-07-01 16:10:43

DELAND, Fla. (AP) - A man was charged with battery after he hit his mother in the head with a three-pound package of Polish sausage, police said.

Gregory Allen Praeger, 46, was in the kitchen cooking and talking on the phone when officers arrived Saturday night. His mother told police he had been drinking and arguing with her, then picked up the package of sausage and hurled it, grazing her head. She was not badly hurt and did not have to go to the hospital.

Praeger confirmed his mother's story, police said. He was held on $500 bond, according to jail records, which did not list an attorney. Deland is about 20 miles from Daytona Beach.

:rolleyes:

Alleged police car joyride lands SC teen in jail

AP

Posted: 2008-07-02 20:40:22

DILLON, S.C. (AP) - Call him the short arm of the law. Police in Dillon, a small town near the North Carolina border, say a 13-year-old with an interest in law enforcement twice stole a police cruiser and took it out to do some patrolling.

The boy's mother saw him bring the car home both times but didn't see anything wrong with the joyrides, Police Sgt. Jason Turner said.

The boy, who was charged with larceny and second-degree burglary, was not identified because of his age. He remained in Department of Juvenile Justice custody Wednesday.

His mother, Patricia Gillespie, was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. She was released on $5,000 bond. A phone listing for her could not be found.

Turner said residents called police Sunday to say they'd seen the boy driving a police car. He said the boy also took the cruiser the previous Sunday and drove it around before returning it to the station. No one noticed it was missing.

The boy apparently watched someone enter a code to get into the department, then used it to get in and take the keys to the cruiser, Turner said.

:rolleyes:

The boy's mother saw him bring the car home both times but didn't see anything wrong with the joyrides, Police Sgt. Jason Turner said.

The youth of today don't stand a chance with such idiots as parents.

I don't remember where I heard this saying from, but it applies here.

"Lions do eat their young."

Wii-Deprived Kid Kidnaps Himself, Demands Ransom From Parents

by Nilay Patel, posted Aug 4th 2008 at 8:01AM

Sure, the Nintendo Wii is great and all, but we're guessing that a man in China who tried to extort $1,400 from his parents by "kidnapping" himself and demanding a ransom after they refused to buy him a "Nintendo computer" was probably a little too infatuated with the popular white gaming console

According to China Daily, the man -- who we're hoping is more of a "boy" -- apparently hired two men to kidnap him, and was arrested after he withdrew his own $1,400 ransom from an ATM. Genius. (Almost as genius as the kid who hired a hitman to kill his parents because they wouldn't buy him a PlayStation 3 -- the 'hitman' turned out to be a cop.)

Quick tip, kids: Real tennis, bowling, golf, and boxing are almost as much fun as 'Wii Sports,' believe it or not -- and they involve just slightly less jail time. [source: China Daily Via Wii Fanboy]

:whistling:

Cops: Boy Driver, 10, Flips Van in Tennessee »

Posted By MyWayOnNow 1 day, 4 hours ago in News

A 10-year-old boy was driving up to 90 mph when he crashed a van carrying two adults who had been drinking and taking pills and two other children, Tennessee sheriff's deputies said.

Inside the crashed van, police said one of the passengers, 38-year-old Paula Elaine Evans, was trying to swallow as many pills as she could. A man, 43-year-old Randy Lewis, who was wearing a shirt that read "Buy This Dad a Beer," told police he had drank at least 15 beers, the Kingsport Times-News reported. The sheriff's office said Lewis acknowledged drinking liquor besides the beers.

The young driver lost control Sunday of the speeding van, which rolled, coming to rest on its top. Everyone in the van was taken to a hospital with minor injuries.

:sniffle:

Sheriff: Family cremated mom on BBQ, kept benefits

CORNING, Calif. -The family of a dead elderly woman cremated her remains on a makeshift barbecue and continued collecting her retirement checks amounting to more than $25,000, authorities in Northern California said. Ramona Allmond's daughter and grandson were arrested Sunday on suspicion of embezzlement, elder abuse and disposing of a body without a permit.

Allmond, 84, likely died of natural causes, though investigators were still trying to determine the exact cause of death, said Tehama County sheriff's Capt. Paul Hosler.

Allmond's daughter, Kathleen Allmond, 50, and Allmond's grandson, Tony Ray, 30, told investigators their relative died in December. They left her body on her bedroom floor for a week before cremating the remains in their backyard fire pit, Hosler said.

Investigators said the two kept collecting Allmond's monthly retirement checks, amounting to more than $25,000. Sheriff's Detective Richard Knox said they may have been trying to honor Allmond's desire to die at home and be cremated.

The two were arrested after Allmond's son grew suspicious about her whereabouts.

Both were in jail in lieu of bail, with arraignment scheduled for Thursday. The sheriff's department said they do not yet have attorneys.

Nice......real nice....... :clap:

Tampa man allegedly uses grandpa as human shield

TAMPA, Fla. -Authorities said a 22-year-old Tampa man used his grandfather as a shield while he was being arrested. According to an arrest affidavit, the man pulled his 72-year-old grandfather out of a chair and in front of officers Wednesday morning.

The man kept fighting after his grandfather was removed for the scene. He was charged with two counts of felony battery and resisting arrest with violence and was taken to jail.

:superhappy:

Boy allegedly hits mom with saw, offers her $5

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -Authorities say an 11-year-old boy hit his mother in the head with a saw and then offered her $5 not to call police. The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office reported that the boy and his 41-year-old mother got into an argument Wednesday when she was trying to get him to take his medication.

The boy left and went to another home, where he began hitting a tree with a saw. When the mother finally caught up with the boy, authorities say he hit her in the head with the saw, causing a minor laceration. A sheriff's report said that's when the boy began pleading with his mother not to call police and offered her a $5 bill.

The boy is facing an aggravated battery charge.

Woman accused of forging her parents' checks again

BURLINGTON, Iowa -A Burlington woman awaiting a court of appeals ruling on an earlier conviction for forging her mother's checks has been arrested for allegedly doing it again. The woman, 43, was sentenced last summer to 15 years in prison but is free on bond while the case is being reviewed by the Iowa Court of Appeals.

Last week, she was arrested again on charges she stole checks from her parents. She also was accused of stealing another woman's credit card.

Police say the woman took at least 15 checks and wrote them out for about $850

Man accused of tossing Christmas tree at his dad

PARRISH, Fla. -Authorities say a west Florida man who lives with his parents has been arrested on a felony assault charge after he used a Christmas tree as a weapon to attack his father.

According to the Manatee County sheriff's report a 37-year-old man was arrested last week after he threw a 3-foot Christmas tree at his father. The tree missed, but the man then tried to use the steel base from the tree to strike his father.

His father and mother were able to grab his arms to prevent the attack. Deputies say the tree could have caused serious injuries because the metal base weighs about five pounds.

The man was charged with felony assault. He denied trying to strike his father.